Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Forward Pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    The issue is how many bow one can balancely activate spontaneously. And how to get there. IMO.
    I don't know if we're talking about the same thing Hendrik, but it would be 1 for every 3 movements which would partially explain why the number 3 in WC goes beyond just timing....

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    I don't know if we're talking about the same thing Hendrik, but it would be 1 for every 3 movements which would partially explain why the number 3 in WC goes beyond just timing....
    Please explain what do you mean by 1 for 3...ect.

Please explain what do you mean by 1 for 3...ect.
    It's not worth it if you don't know what I'm talking about already, very simple but too complicated to explain through words...

What do you mean by 6 bows then?

It's not worth it if you don't know what I'm talking about already, very simple but too complicated to explain through words...

What do you mean by 6 bows then?
    Human body has 6 major joints.

Human body has 6 major joints.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hendrik and wc are talking about two different contexts. Of course there are 6 joints, wc is talking about what connects them- the clutch and the gear.

joy

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hendrik and wc are talking about two different contexts. Of course there are 6 joints, wc is talking about what connects them- the clutch and the gear.

joy
    Joy,

What is that 1 for 3 stuffs? Care to share? Thanks!

Joy,

What is that 1 for 3 stuffs? Care to share? Thanks!
    Please elaborate...i cant wait to see?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Think of it this way, when you shift gears on a standard transmission how many movements is it? Foot off the gas and clutch in, shift gears, clutch out and back on the gas. Three movements. The same with the keystone function. The body absorbs force and takes away the power i.e. the clutch takes away the power of the engine. The body, with proper structure, returns along the same path i.e. the gear replaces the same spot the previous gear was in. The body now exerts a more powerful force due to the combination of momentum and stored energy i.e. clutch released with foot on gas. Three movements. Forward intent....

Think of it this way, when you shift gears on a standard transmission how many movements is it? Foot off the gas and clutch in, shift gears, clutch out and back on the gas. Three movements. The same with the keystone function. The body absorbs force and takes away the power i.e. the clutch takes away the power of the engine. The body, with proper structure, returns along the same path i.e. the gear replaces the same spot the previous gear was in. The body now exerts a more powerful force due to the combination of momentum and stored energy i.e. clutch released with foot on gas. Three movements. Forward intent....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well put. Also blends with one of the best wing chun kuen kuit--stay with what comes, accompany it when it leaves.

Not a technique but a tool for skill development.

It's difficult to share perspectives on this forum, because things turn ugly very easily and too often.
    WC1277 is sincerely trying.

Words can mislead. But a 3 some-receive, control, attack skill foundation.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hendrik,

Which one of these approach is closer to how you align your body when using the six bows for forward pressure?
    I want to clarify that WC1277 and I talking about the same thing - same motions, same structure, same development practice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Right. Using the 'pelvic tuck' to engage the L4/L5 vertebrae helps to tighten the connection between the lower body and upper body. Shoulder -> Lat muscles - > L4/L5 is like an upper body unit, working as one piece.

The pelvic tilt/tuck engages the gluteous muscles -> leg adductors (groin muscles) -> quads/hamstrings/calves -> feet. This is the lower body unit.

To get body unity & power generation/absorbtion you have to link the two.

Yes and No.... The basic stance, yes involves what one could call the 'pelvic tuck', although there's many who over-exaggerate it, which is where the difference lies...

One shouldn't be in that position where the L4 and L5 compress constantly. If they're already in that position without an incoming force then there's essentially no function or "spring" then. Which is why in SLT you're upper body is supposed to be as straight as possible. When this function engages, your body will literally 'crunch'. Think of a leaf spring. It's hard to explain without showing but if one can understand how this works their WC will significantly improve. Essentially it works like this: incoming force - body absorbs force by crunching - this takes the energy from the opponent making him feel like he's stuck(sticking) - as long as he maintains the same force the energy remains stored in your spring - if he moves his force the stored energy in your body returns along the same path he removes.....

This is what forward intent is in a nutshell and also one of the core concepts of chi sau...

Think of it this way, when you shift gears on a standard transmission how many movements is it? Foot off the gas and clutch in, shift gears, clutch out and back on the gas. Three movements. The same with the keystone function. The body absorbs force and takes away the power i.e. the clutch takes away the power of the engine. The body, with proper structure, returns along the same path i.e. the gear replaces the same spot the previous gear was in. The body now exerts a more powerful force due to the combination of momentum and stored energy i.e. clutch released with foot on gas. Three movements. Forward intent

Hendrik,

Is the discription above close to how you align your body when using the six bows for forward pressure?

Thanks and appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Hendrik,

Is the discription above close to how you align your body when using the six bows for forward pressure?
    I am talking the nature of the spring system. They are talking a specific case of how to load and unload a specific springs combination.

I don't buy the idea of

The body absorbs force and takes away the power . There is no way the body absorbs force. Spine is a very fragile object which could be damage. Thus, what is the body needs to be clearly define.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Glad to see this thread i started as went to friendly mode of information sharing...great...keep it up!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"