Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in a Phone Booth

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you train your "elbow" skill like in the following form clip, you will have better advantage than WC. Some of the northern TCMA systems do train "elbow" seriously. There was a fight in an office that 1 person had to handle 8 opponents (small space, multiple opponents). Through the whole fight, the elbow striking was only used. There were no punch, kick, lock, throw, ground game in that fight.

In a phone booth, you may have to punch 3 times to knock down one person. You may drop one person just by one single elbow. When you deal with multiple opponents in a small space, 3 punches to a person may be a "luxury".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21vpG6jqcE
    There are plenty of elbows in the Biu Jee form.

You do know some WC lineages has an elbow form right?

Ne way...even in small space you may not be in elbow range. If try to launch an elbow from the outside your going to get trapped or controlled. The best time to throw an elbow is when you are too close for your opponent to stop you from making contact.

Elbows should be thrown when your in the lions mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you train your "elbow" skill like in the following form clip, you will have better advantage than WC. Some of the northern TCMA systems do train "elbow" seriously. There was a fight in an office that 1 person had to handle 8 opponents (small space, multiple opponents). Through the whole fight, the elbow striking was only used. There were no punch, kick, lock, throw, ground game in that fight.

In a phone booth, you may have to punch 3 times to knock down one person. You may drop one person just by one single elbow. When you deal with multiple opponents in a small space, 3 punches to a person may be a "luxury".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21vpG6jqcE
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Your argument is pretty invalid because most WC schools STILL don't train realistically.

Unless it's an Alan OR student of course.
    Define realistically?

Do you Train with Alan Or?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Define realistically?

You define realistically, do you train with Stan?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Define realistically?

As close to practical combat as possible, eg, sparring and losing forms in favour of function.

And no, but I've seen him, and I like the way he thinks, and he spars regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    You define realistically, do you train with Stan?
    I have trained with stan about five times...I plan to train a little more with doing chi sau and sparring. an working on his dummy and hitting his punching bag and wall bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    As close to practical combat as possible, eg, sparring and losing forms in favour of function.

And no, but I've seen him, and I like the way he thinks, and he spars regularly.
    Who do you do wing chun with?

Define: losing forms in favour of function

I have trained with stan about five times...I plan to train a little more with doing chi sau and sparring. an working on his dummy and hitting his punching bag and wall bag...
    haha, I was joking/messing with you. From everything I've seen, nothing stan does is even remotely close to realistic anythying. That's why I asked you to describe what you think is 'training realistically', so people can get a baseline of your understanding of the term
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I love Wing Chun. It's what I like to do in my free time.

...but boxing, MT, etc have 'pockets of power' as well. While large looping punches are often seen in boxing - hooks, uppercuts, body shots, etc were developed when the range got closer and straight lines didn't work (opponent covers up, gloves are in the way of their face, etc).

So, yes: Wing Chun would excel in a phone booth, but if you're in there with a boxer, watch your ribcage.

CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Your argument is pretty invalid because most WC schools STILL don't train realistically.
    Oh yeah? How often do you train in phone booths and porta-loos?

Unless it's an Alan OR student of course.
    Alan ORR. Yes, but he's not the only one. He is the only one with a good video series.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I love Wing Chun. It's what I like to do in my free time.

...but boxing, MT, etc have 'pockets of power' as well. While large looping punches are often seen in boxing - hooks, uppercuts, body shots, etc were developed when the range got closer and straight lines didn't work (opponent covers up, gloves are in the way of their face, etc).

So, yes: Wing Chun would excel in a phone booth, but if you're in there with a boxer, watch your ribcage.

CTK
    Can't I just give the guy 50 cents and save my floating ribs? Sheesh!

In all seriousness I agree with you. I can't stand WC people who insist that the only effective and real power generation can come out of a Wing Chun structure, especially since there is a very easy way to prove that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Oh yeah? How often do you train in phone booths and porta-loos?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7569688...in/photostream
    Last edited by WingChunABQ; 02-01-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    so.. not only do I fight in a phonebooth, but I attack you while you are attempting to leave the booth, push you in, and smother you.
    Then I kick over the phone booth.
    When I am in a phone booth, it is for the exclusive purpose of changing into my Superman outfit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    There are plenty of elbows in the Biu Jee form.
    Please show some pictures or clips in the Biu Jee form that has:

- downward elbow,
    - upward elbow,
    - straight elbow,
    - horizontal elbow,
    - backward elbow,
    - both forward and backward elbows,
    - both right and left elbows,

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...:0&tx=66&ty=72

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...t:429,r:15,s:0

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/6060/elbowe.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' ABOUT!
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!