Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun in a Phone Booth

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Even the 'Greatest' had a phone booth moment....now theres a worthy Phone booth opponent
    try telling him to hurry up...
    This is glorious

True that...In my belief from what I know from what little experience i have with Hung Gar it is a longer system. Choy li fut is too...

Atleast the system is long system compared to WC which is more compact...

All arts have long range and short range techniques...even Wing Chun...but WC foundation is short range. We utilize long range techniques to draw our opponent in to our core set. Once there we dominate. We dont set up to fight tit for tat in a long range duel. For lack of a better word.

Boxing is short range system, Muay Thai is a long range system...

Now certrain animal forms have short range techniques true...because they are hand styles. hand styles are shorter than wu shu styles. The wu shu or nothern shaolin style is certainly longer than choy li fut...ie long fist...

But what I mean is outside swining motion of CFT is a longer bridge technique than WC. If i wanted attack someone with a long range technique I would use the basics of hung gar. If i wanted to utilize the inside fighting skills i would use WC...

When i first started off off at age 16 I learn a form named northern drill and bashi. I may be spelling the second wrong...The forms are definitely longer in comparison to WC compact structure.

I learn some basic striking techniques such has long range upper cut I dont remember the name and high, medium low punches in the horse stance along with other training techniques like three star blocking before I went on to WC an made WC my primary art. I felt at 16 the phyiscal confrontation of high school would be better dealt with doing WC which i could masked as boxing or streetfighting better. Plus it was more direct and I could understand it usage right away.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The phone booth is an analogy of a situation where one has limited ability to move and generate "typical" power.
    One can just as easily say:
    In a crowd, in a corner, back against the wall, in a bathroom stall ( crappy situation but there you have it), etc.
    As for the notion that Hung Kuen and CLF don't have close range, well, it seems that Yoshi is confusing what he thinks he knows about those systems with what those systems actually do/train.

What I mean is in reference to WC CLF and Hung Ga is long fighting style...The hard bridges are longer...similiar to Weng Chun....which is long bridge fighting system is it not?

One of the early disciples of WC was rumored to practice both Wing Chun (Short arm bridge) and Weng Chun (long arm bridge)

wing chun is attributed to the female attributes and weng chun is attributed to male attributes if you believe the legends that is...if not...its okay...

When you look at the forms an look at structure of the stances in conjunction with the swinging of the arms...thats where i get the opinion its a long range fighting system!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yeah..kinda thought your answer would be like that...
    This is a very common misconception those outside the system have.

The reality is, Hung-Ga has pretty much the same techniques and power generation when using the short bridges. It is not a long bridge system that has some short hand techniques. On the contrary, it was originally a short bridge system that added longer bridging to it. Tan, bong, fook, pak, gan, kwun, yjkym, short shifting, inch power, elbows, sticking, trapping, lin sil die da, etc., have always been in the system. Look at the snake and crane techniques and one would think they are much more similar than different.
    CLF's Crane and Snake, utilizes the same principles.
    Power generation is similar in many cases as well-out of necessity.
    Having trained in all three systems, I have more than a little knowledge on this.
    (although I do admit I have spent much less time in CLF)
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yoshi,
    Let me just expalin this about Hung kuen:
    It starts "big" to build a "solid core" then it becomes "small" and when you add that "solid core" to those "small" moves then you have something that is formidable:
    Long power over a short distance.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

is this thread really still going
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    is this thread really still going
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yoshi,
    Let me just expalin this about Hung kuen:
    It starts "big" to build a "solid core" then it becomes "small" and when you add that "solid core" to those "small" moves then you have something that is formidable:
    Long power over a short distance.

what are some of the basics you add to make the hung kuen smaller?

Also is your lineage a small frame one in comparison to other lineages...

Because there is small frame and big frame gung fu styles too! such as tai chi...big and small frame!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Boxing is short range system, Muay Thai is a long range system...

Mate, put the keyboard down, walk out onto the street, walk into a boxing gym, MT gym, Karate gym, tai chi kwoon........... whatever

And THEN start referring to styles you (currently) know nothing about

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Mate, put the keyboard down, walk out onto the street, walk into a boxing gym, MT gym, Karate gym, tai chi kwoon........... whatever

that whole post was so clueless, I couldn't bring myself to clip quote or reply to it. I figured it was better off left alone - you're a braver man than me!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    that whole post was so clueless, I couldn't bring myself to clip quote or reply to it. I figured it was better off left alone - you're a braver man than me!
    I (strangely) admire his enthusiasm for WC and the discussions in general... he would have to be the busiest poster, but he really needs to get some REAL exposure.

And i wish he would go easy on the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s

I (strangely) admire his enthusiasm for WC and the discussions in general... he would have to be the busiest poster, but he really needs to get some REAL exposure.

And i wish he would go easy on the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s
    yeah, I guess I can't blame him for wanting to learn more considering the exposure he has had...
    I just don't see the point of him asking a million questions if he's not going to even read (or can't comprehend) the answers he's given.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Just my opinion mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Just my opinion mate!
    Opinions are fine, just make it an educated opinion

Opinions are fine, just make it an educated opinion
    Well every one is on a different level...Maybe yours is higher than mines...maybe mines is higher than yours...what ever the case...one will not comprehend the higher persons opinion because the lower one is not their yet!

Welcome to the exclusive Bang-Head-On-Brick Wall club my friend.

ever man is right in his own eyes!