Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad first demo

syringes filled with aids and the black plague
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    syringes filled with aids and the black plague
    There were a ton of syringes under an overpass we had. Guess the junkies went down there to shoot up or something. How I never got a disease messing with them as a kid is beyond me.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I was once in a play that had an extended sword-fighting sequence. It was in a black box theatre, so the first row of seats were on the floor where we were acting.

The swordfight went off without a hitch, or so I thought. Turns out that when I swung the sword backwards for a strike, I grazed the eyelashes of a man in the front row with the tip of my sword.

Luckily he was a friend of mine so he was forgiving. Still, if I'd straightened my arm half an inch more, I'd have slashed him right across the eye.

well those were the good old days when syringes were only filled with drugs
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think I've gotten through one (out of about 10 or so) demo without screwing up.

The best was when I chopped my arm open doing a broadsword form...demo was at an elementary school.

Actually it wasn't so bad, it happened near the end of the demo, and though the blood was down to my wrist by the end of the demo, it was all on the back of my arm...most of my teammates didn't even notice.
    The main thing when you screw up is to keep going, if it's not a kung fu audience, they won't notice most mistakes.

Years ago, maybe 1994 or so, my sihings put together this big surprise party for our Sifu Tai Yim. They invited other Sifu friends of his from out of town to come celebrate, Sify Chan Tai San, Sifu Hoy Lee, Sifu Derek Mimms, Sifu Mike Barry, Sifu Lily Lau, Sifu Jimmy Wong, and a few others, All in all there were probably a good few hundred people there. I was part of the lion dance portion and was a big headed buddha along with another classmate. The routine was filled with lifts and rolling tricks for the lion and acrobatics for us two big head buddhas.

For one trick, as the lion did a sideways roll, my co-buddha and I were to run and do a simultaneous forward flip over the lion as it rolled. We had practiced it a few times with success. We had these clipped off pieces of coat hangers glued to the inside of the maske wrapped in towlettes and tape to bite down on so the masks would not fall off during the tumbling. The demo went along up to the point of this flip trick. I readied myself and saw the lion signal it was about to roll. I looked at my classmate but he was not moving yet. I could tell that if I did not go at that point, that I wouldn't make it. I took off to run and flip over the lion. From the corner of the eyehole in the mask, I saw my classmate slip. I focused forward and managed to execute my flip over the lion, landed on my feet, knees bent , then as I was rising back up, I got clobbered from behind.

My classmate and I both veered to the same line, He was a better gymnast than I was and could get real good height. I made my flip, but because he slipped, and our vision was so limited, I ended up in front of him and he was right behind me. As I was rising from landing, he simultaneously landed his flip, on top of me. His butt, crashed into the back of my head. I tumbled forward, rolled over and regained my composure. My mouth piece had been knocked completely loose from inside the mask and out of my mouth from the collision. I ran over to my hing dai and yelled to him that my mouth piece was broken and I couldn't do any more flips. His eyes were wide within the mask and he yelled back "no sh!t! you got a big hole in the side of your face!" The crash ripped the mouth piece out and along with it, a full cheek of the mask. My classmate had to do the last big tumble run by himself. The demo was to conclude with both buddhas flanking the lion on each side after the last bow and in sync with the music do a standing back tuck "G-dak! Dong! Chut!" As the beat finished, we would land at the same time.
    I figured I could at least do that one. The lion bowed the third time and the music played "Ga-dak! Dong! Chut!" I jumped up, felt the stall, tucked and rotated. As I was inverted the mask flew off. As I landed on the "Chat!", my right foot went straight through the mask that had fallen on the gound. It had now been turned into a big broken buddha egg shell. I grabbed my classmates buddha mask off his head, tucked the broken one into his mask and jogged off as if it was all okay, although I was thoroughly embarrassed, but now recollect on the whole thing with a good smile.