Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between forms, explanation?

Difference between forms, explanation?

Hey, its me again,

So I've been searching this Forum looking for various answers to my endless noob questions,
    just thought I'd ask and see what happens though I imagine its been debated a billion times....ok...here goes...

I am currently learning 'white ape steals the peach' and I am only about halfway through the form, and decided to hit up youtube to see the rest of the form and kinda practice on my own at home so I don't look like such a 'tard trying to figure out the next few movements, and discovered.....shockingly ....I can't find two freaking vids that are the same, or at least in good enough quality to really tell if its the same.
    I know I'm still green and have yet to understand the subtle nuances of every movement, but I KNOW that what I'm seeing on youtube is not even close to the version I am learning.....
    Are these forms unique to lineage? Or is it the Sifu's interpretation of the form?
    Either way, I'll have to get someone from class to let me record them doing the form and upload it later...
    Looking forward to hearing your responses! (by the way, the form I am learning is Baag Yune Tou Toe, but I've seen it spelled every flippin' way imaginable....Bai Yuen Tow Tou, Bai Yuan To Tow, Bye Y'all Too Taloo, etc...
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.
    I peeped at a feast over there......and over there.....

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    ....I can't find two freaking vids that are the same, or at least in good enough quality to really tell if its the same.
    I know I'm still green and have yet to understand the subtle nuances of every movement, but I KNOW that what I'm seeing on youtube is not even close to the version I am learning.....
    Are these forms unique to lineage? Or is it the Sifu's interpretation of the form?
    (by the way, the form I am learning is Baag Yune Tou Toe, but I've seen it spelled every flippin' way imaginable....Bai Yuen Tow Tou, Bai Yuan To Tow, Bye Y'all Too Taloo, etc...
    LOL, been at 7* for nearly 2 decades and have yet to find a single answer to that question.

Word of advice - learn the forms the way your Sifu teaches them to you. Don't worry about what other people are doing... at least yet.

Worry about what the forms are supposed to be showing you. Worry about how the applications are supposed to work. Worry about learning to pull off one or two moves from the forms during a free-flow brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    LOL, been at 7* for nearly 2 decades and have yet to find a single answer to that question.

Word of advice - learn the forms the way your Sifu teaches them to you. Don't worry about what other people are doing... at least yet.

Worry about what the forms are supposed to be showing you. Worry about how the applications are supposed to work. Worry about learning to pull off one or two moves from the forms during a free-flow brawl.
    Right on. Excellent Advice! Thanks
    I did find this one vid, that upon closer inspection is the same form I am learning, its Brendan Lai and I believe its from the WHF line, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E9uLaMBevg
    One of my classmates has the form on youtube but I don't want to post without his permission. I will ask him tonight if I can record him doing the form slower so I can really absorb whats going on. He is Sifu's assistant and a really good teacher himself, he and Sifu have been working with me on this form, its just I am a driven perfectionist and want to obsess over it when I'm at home and feeling.....kung fu-ish.....ya know.
    Thanks again for the input
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

This reply is GOLDEN!!!

I learned the form with the same movements as demonstrated by Sifu Brendan Lai.

Chinese instructors often use traditional form titles for different forms, or use different titles for the same form. It is not unusual.

Hong Kong Seven Star Mantis has "Praying Mantis Steals the Peach", while Mainland Seven Star has "White Ape Steals the Peach" for the exact same form. Same movements, two different names.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    by the way, the form I am learning is Baag Yune Tou Toe, but I've seen it spelled every flippin' way imaginable....Bai Yuen Tow Tou, Bai Yuan To Tow, Bye Y'all Too Taloo, etc...
    Those spellings are different people's attempts at Romanizing Cantonese and Mandarin pronuciations.

The first one is Sifu Jon Funk's Romanization of Cantonese. The others are attempts at conveying the Mandarin pronunciation.

None of those look to be standard Romanizations.

Cantonese don't say "baag". Sounds more like "bak" or "baak".

I'm surprised nobody stepped up to tell there are two different forms with that same name, but I guess you found that out. It's been talked about here in the past but I don't remember which lineages teach which BYTT.

The same thing happened to me, I learned a version but when I looked on Youtube I found a totally different form but the same name.

I'm sure sooner or later one of our local history experts will give an explanation but either way just work on the set as you are taught otherwise you might get confused.

There's a right way and wrong way to do the moves but no right or wrong moves doing the form. Only what's right within your school.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

The correct Mandarin characters and pinyin for the form is:

白 猿 偷 桃 - White Ape Steals Peach" - bái yuán tōu táo

It is a basic but fun form to do. Good luck with your training!

Here is my translation of Master Won Hon Fan's description of the form you are learning:

White Ape Steals the Peach

01. Middle Level Twins Store Up Power
    02. Enter Ring, Single Arm Claw
    03. Raise Step, Right Uppercut Strike
    04. Penetrating Hand, Right Gathering Strike
    05. Ascend Mountain, Right Uppercut Strike
    06. Twist Step, Left Sticky Elbow
    07. Splitting Circle, Right Thrust Arm
    08. Turn Body, Mantis Hook & Kick
    09. Circle Strike, Continuous Legs
    10. Enter Ring, Right Thrust Arm
    11. Withdraw Step, Hang Gathering Strike
    12. Ascend Mountain, Right Splitting Crush
    13. Shadow Step, Shuttle Pattern
    14. Seal Hand, Double Flying Leg
    15. Ascend Mountain, Hang Gathering Strike
    16. Ascend Mountain, Right Splitting Strike
    17. Horizontal Circle, Big Outside Swing
    18. Ascend Mountain, Hang Gathering Strike
    19. Shadow Step, Seal Gathering Strike
    20. Ascend Mountain, Wheel Pattern
    21. Ascend Mountain, Hang Gathering Strike
    22. Seal Hand, Right Prop Up Leg
    23. Turn Body, Hang Gathering Strike
    24. Straddle Tiger, Lift Gathering Strike
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I don't know the names of the moves but that doesn't sound like the one I know.

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Can't find video of the one I play but it's similar to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9LJl...eature=related

and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1Ha...eature=related

but here is where it gets really confusing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y99D8...eature=related

The first and third link both claim it's Seven Star Mantis but they are totally different.

and some explanation form an old thread:
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...p/t-14967.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Can't find video of the one I play but it's similar to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9LJl...eature=related

and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1Ha...eature=related

but here is where it gets really confusing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y99D8...eature=related

The first and third link both claim it's Seven Star Mantis but they are totally different.

and some explanation form an old thread:
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...p/t-14967.html
    the one where you said it gets confusing (I think thats from Martial Skill.com) is the same form, I have come to learn that its from the WHF lineage, here is a link to a guy in our class doing the exact form BYTT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-YSn1AoHWs) as for the first two vids you posted, not sure, but thanks so much for all the info everyone I feel like such a noob hahaha
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

I consider that "the other one" but I like it. I'll have to learn that one.

The one I know has the head smash, what some call "steals peach". The one you know has the groin strike that others call "steals peach". Then there's the Mantis108's interpretation making them both correct as "steals peach".

The most likely scenario is that originally White Ape Steals the Peach was a technique. Later a form shaped around it.
    A while ago I wrote an article on this form, since that time I have found that it was part of the old Hao Family style of Mantis. THe Hao Family version was taught by Hao Lianru, I have heard that he was friends with Wang Rongsheng of 7 Star Mantis, so there may have been some exchange of techniques going on there.

This Hao family version follows the version of White Ape Steals the Peach found in 7 Star families in Shandong. But it has some curious differences.

... During the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) all males were required by law to grow their hair long and tie it in a braid known as the queue. The penalty for cutting your queue was death. This hair fashion was a sign of subjugation of the Chinese under their Manchu rulers. The only ones exempt from this law were ordained Buddhist monks.

Anyway, keep that in mind if you have time to read this article

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    I consider that "the other one" but I like it. I'll have to learn that one.

The one I know has the head smash, what some call "steals peach". The one you know has the groin strike that others call "steals peach". Then there's the Mantis108's interpretation making them both correct as "steals peach".
    haahahaha
    Either way, I wouldn't want my peach stolen in any fashion.....but if I had a choice I'd rather the little peaches be left alone....un-plucked.....

I will just focus on this version for now, and learn that version later just for a wholesome education

But if anyone does have or can make a video of them doing the WHF version of BYTT that would be super duper and greatly appreciated
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

wasp

white ape steals peach mainland is praying mantis steals peach in Chiu Chi Man line I believe. WASP in CCM line is a different set entirely. I always wondered if the CCM WASP was known by another name elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    The most likely scenario is that originally White Ape Steals the Peach was a technique. Later a form shaped around it.
    A while ago I wrote an article on this form, since that time I have found that it was part of the old Hao Family style of Mantis. THe Hao Family version was taught by Hao Lianru, I have heard that he was friends with Wang Rongsheng of 7 Star Mantis, so there may have been some exchange of techniques going on there.

This Hao family version follows the version of White Ape Steals the Peach found in 7 Star families in Shandong. But it has some curious differences.

... During the Qing dynasty (1644-1911) all males were required by law to grow their hair long and tie it in a braid known as the queue. The penalty for cutting your queue was death. This hair fashion was a sign of subjugation of the Chinese under their Manchu rulers. The only ones exempt from this law were ordained Buddhist monks.

Anyway, keep that in mind if you have time to read this article
    Fantastic!!! Ironically I read this same article about a month ago before I joined here, when I first started learning BYTT I got a bit obsessed and scoured the 'interwebs' for anything I could find.
    Awesome write up, and very informative!!! Esp. the part of not being able to cut your 'queue'.....funny how something was considered at that time and never fathomed it would change...
    either way, good stuff! I am super glad I joined this place
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.