Thread: HFY Chi Sao Seminar 2nd thru 4th March 2012 Phoenix, Arizona

HFY Chi Sao Seminar 2nd thru 4th March 2012 Phoenix, Arizona

The World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association (世界红花义詠春拳总会) announces a public Seminar in Phoenix, Arizona on March 3rd 2012

Fresh from his recent visit to Hong Kong and China Grand Master Garrett Gee (朱競雄师傅) will be heading to Arizona at the beginning of March to present a third public workshop showcasing the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Chi Sao methods.

Also included will be a bonus session exploring the Hung Fa Yi “5 Tan Sao Bai Jong Faat” and how to understand Time, Space and Energy as expressed in the “hardware” and “software” of the HFY family’s Siu Nim Tau / Siu Lin Tau training format. The “5 Tan Sau Bai Jong Faat” is a direct reference to HFY Wing Chun ancestor Tan Sau Ng and explores how the whole system can be expressed through the use of five Tan Sau which are contained within the Siu Nim Tau form. If you haven’t yet had a chance to see the HFY SNT form it can still be viewed from the following link: http://hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3241

GM Gee’s trip to China proved to be very productive and during his stay he continued to build bridges with many members of the Wing Chun community both in Hong Kong and the mainland. One of the more easily recognizable names GM Gee met with on this particular trip was Sifu Sergio Iadarola of the IWKA, reportedly they shared a very pleasant discussion on many Wing Chun related topics.

This workshop will also be notable as being the first visit by GM Gee to the Hung Fa Kwoon of Arizona’s brand new Tempe location and will serve as the official re-opening event. The students, families and friends of the school have been working hard at putting in the finishing touches to the build out and we are all looking forward to hosting GM Gee for this event. Sifu Richard Loewenhagen will also be in attendance and can be expected to answer questions about his latest article “A peek inside the 19th century Hung Gun Wui Boxer society” which is in the current March/April issue of Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine.

The public workshop is open to all martial artists regardless of lineage or styles. Anyone interested in attending please contact the World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Association Headquarters or the Southwest Regional Headquarters to pre-register. A more detailed breakdown of the weekends schedule will follow shortly.

regards
    Last edited by MarkJ; 02-11-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: edit link
    Sifu Mark Jones
    Southwest Regional Director
    Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun of Arizona
    1805 E. Elliot Rd. #110
    Tempe AZ 85284 USA
    (480) 820-2428
    sifujones@hfyofarizona.com
    www.hfyofarizona.com
    www.hungfakwoon.com
    www.hungfablog.com

Thanks for posting the info about upcoming workshop for 5 Tan Sau Bai Jong. Many of my friends have extensive martial arts backgrounds and we have watched HFY SNT many times and recognize the sophistication of this jewel of martial arts.

My friends and I are looking forword to reading the article about the history of the Hung Fa Boxer in Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine provided by the current HFY GM Garrett Gee and author master Richard Lowenhagan.
    Last edited by kentchang; 02-14-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Thank you for helping promote the art and family of HFY kentchang! You're a pretty outspoken guy. What is your takeaway from watching the video so far? How different or similar is your form to the ones demo'ed in the HFY/TWC video?

I believe Sifu Dale Vits may be attending this coming workshop! It will be great to exchange with him once more and recap from his last training in AZ.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Video of HFY and TWC's Advanced SNT/SLT form: http://vimeo.com/35817461

I've watched the HFY/TWC SNT demo video over a dozen times. Imo, the bigger difference I see is the HFY SNT has more details and techniques. I would be interested in hearing the explanations of these differences from HFY and TWC practitioners, because I believe a lot more depth than meet the eye.

I believe one of the members of my lineage (Yiu Choi WC with Sifu Wei Po) made some videos in the past. If I can find them, I will post them online.

I really see no use in comparing or contrasting similarities/differences between the two. I am glad we were able to demonstrate and share the HFY SNT along side TWC, but not sure it's fair to either system to compare them. They each stand on their own as great example of each lineage's technology, that's enough for me

Thank you Sifu Mark for posting this up and hosting the seminar! I'm sure it'll be another great weekend - I can't wait!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 02-16-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I would find great appreciation for any TWC person to give a breakdown of the workings of their advanced form! Any assistance with this? Maybe from Anerich or Phil Redmond?

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was just reflecting on the previous workshop and I must say I am really looking forward to this next Chi Sao event. In HFYWCK, Chi Sao is a methodical response in both strategy and tactic to manipulate the conditions of fighting to one's advantage. While in training Chi Sao drills can begin in a fashion that faciliates proper and safe muscle memory building - such as two people squaring up with a bridge(s) preset, the test of HFY Chi Sao is not done through drills but done by combat simulations. To begin without contact and having a person attack you better reflects the application of system logic of HFY Wing Chun.

Solo Drills -> Fixed 2 Person Drills -> Reactive 2 Person Drills -> Live/Free Movement Challenge Testing

Many gems were revealed about HFY tech in the previous workshop. I am looking forward to diving deeper next weekend into the HFY arsenal.