Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Define KF, as realistic modern martial art

Blog Entries
    UFC fighter Alex Caseras is a JDK and BJJ fighter..

Alex Caceres
    June 20, 1988 (age 23)
    Other names Bruce Leroy
    Nationality American
    Height 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)
    Weight 135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)
    Division Bantamweight
    Featherweight
    Lightweight
    Reach 73 in (190 cm)
    Style Jeet Kune Do, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Stance Southpaw
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Define KF, as realistic modern martial art :

Evidence #1
    My 10 year old student was being bullied by another girl. The girl grabbed her and she (my student), used Chinese Shuai Chiao I taught her and tossed the girl on her a$s. The school principle student told me this himself.

Evidence #2
    My 11 year old student defended a smaller 10 year boy from several bullies at school. He. When the bullies attacked the 10 year old, he stepped and kicked and punced and made the bully boys back off.

Evidence #3
    Once a guy was trying to beat down his wife... I stepped in front of her, blocking his attempt to get at her. When he swang at me, I caught his right hook with my left eagles claw and then applied a right claw to his throat. This ended the situation right there.

This could go on and on, I have many more such stoires that provide proff that TCMA can work as a realistic modern Martial Art.

ginosifu
    ah, but if you can't provide videos of said events then they're not really evidence...

the only thing i'll say about TCMA as a realistic modern martial art is that the practice of ancients weapons like swords and spears, while fun, are not readily applicable in today's world of firearms. knives and clubs defense and use would still be valid however.
    Last edited by dirtyrat; 02-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    the only thing i'll say about TCMA as a realistic modern is that the practice of ancients weapons like swords and spears, while fun, are not readily applicable in today's world of firearms
    not everyone carries a gun. Most don't want to kill someone with a gun unless they are desperate. you are more likely to fight someone with no gun that you are with one. having a good handle and understanding of short weapons like a club, sword, ax, or what ever can still be applied with makeshift weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    not everyone carries a gun. Most don't want to kill someone with a gun unless they are desperate. you are more likely to fight someone with no gun that you are with one. having a good handle and understanding of short weapons like a club, sword, ax, or what ever can still be applied with makeshift weapons.
    i agreed. but to be a realistic modern ma, i feel that firearm defense should still be address, however low a probability such an encounter would be.

Blog Entries
    i agreed. but to be a realistic modern ma, i feel that firearm defense should still be address, however low a probability such an encounter would be.
    true. we gotta learn like they did in the movie Equilibrium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPD6TbYVbNc

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    true. we gotta learn like they did in the movie Equilibrium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPD6TbYVbNc
    LOL!!!! i bow before the master....

Blog Entries
    hahahahah nice!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    ah, but if you can't provide videos of said events then they're not really evidence...

the only thing i'll say about TCMA as a realistic modern martial art is that the practice of ancients weapons like swords and spears, while fun, are not readily applicable in today's world of firearms. knives and clubs defense and use would still be valid however.
    Yes...you are right, I may not be able to prove it to the haters. However it is proof enough for me and that's all that really counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    CLF is MMA, actually.

TCMA is, by definition, MMA, because over the years, they were all influenced by others.

Only a dude who lived on a mountain fighting nobody else has a pure art. Otherwise, it's only natural we take what works from other styles.
    Are you saying that everything today is JKD? I agree with that many people have multiple MA training and end up with a "MIXED MARTIAL ARTS" system they practice.

The only thing I would disaggree with is that TCMA is MMA. In the past masters would complete an entire CMA system then.... maybe move off to learn another CMA system. Some of them blended their arts together and evolution turned them into a brand new style.

Todays people just learn a little Judo... and a little Choy Lee Fut.... and maybe some BJJ. Put that all together and you get a hodge podge of MMA. Same like JKD, not to dis on any JKD players, but adding a technique from Wing Chun and a little Kali and a little escrima is the same thing, a Hodge Podge of MMA.

My humble opinion is to stick something until you have a good unerstanding of the theory and principle before you discard it and move on to something else.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post

That is arguable.

If you can use a sword for combat, you can use tree branch for combat.

If you can use a spear/staff for combat, you can use a broom handle or a pool stick, etc for combat.

Not to mention the training it gives the body is very applicable to empty hand fighting. *Shrugs*

Not every fight involves guns. In fact I have never had a (real) gun drawn on me. I am sure others have though.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    That is arguable.

If you can use a sword for combat, you can use tree branch for combat.

If you can use a spear/staff for combat, you can use a broom handle or a pool stick, etc for combat.

Not to mention the training it gives the body is very applicable to empty hand fighting. *Shrugs*

Not every fight involves guns. In fact I have never had a (real) gun drawn on me. I am sure others have though.
    anything is arguable .

sword use is a bit different than using a tree branch/club... though i agree on the point of staff use.

the point i was trying to make is rather than practicing sword or spear forms, why not make the training more direct for today's modern needs... tradition is a wonderful thing, but tradition was made to benefit people. we shouldn't be slaves to tradition.

Yes...you are right, I may not be able to prove it to the haters. However it is proof enough for me and that's all that really counts.

Are you saying that everything today is JKD? I agree with that many people have multiple MA training and end up with a "MIXED MARTIAL ARTS" system they practice.

The only thing I would disaggree with is that TCMA is MMA. In the past masters would complete an entire CMA system then.... maybe move off to learn another CMA system. Some of them blended their arts together and evolution turned them into a brand new style.

Todays people just learn a little Judo... and a little Choy Lee Fut.... and maybe some BJJ. Put that all together and you get a hodge podge of MMA. Same like JKD, not to dis on any JKD players, but adding a technique from Wing Chun and a little Kali and a little escrima is the same thing, a Hodge Podge of MMA.

My humble opinion is to stick something until you have a good unerstanding of the theory and principle before you discard it and move on to something else.

ginosifu
    CLF is a mix of styles. Not going into the specifics of the history, because it always starts a threadjack, but CLF was born out of several different styles. The name alone is a representative of three different teachers, each with three different backgrounds.

MMA is really just a play with semantics, same with TCMA. If MMA is literally mixed martial arts, then every style in the world is MMA. There isn't a single style out there that doesn't borrow something from another. And if this did exist, then it would be ineffective against most anything else, because they failed to humble themselves to the prospect that someone else figured out how to do something better.

TCMA IS MMA.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I am a TCMA.
    I have practical AND sport combat experience.
    I also have experience and ranking in NON TCMA ( Boxing,Kyokushin, MT, Judo, BJJ, etc...).
    What is Kung Fu to me?
    What are TCMA do me?
    Fighting at its base and core level ( one must fight to be a fighter and one must first be a fighter before he can be a martial artist).
    But that is just the beginning of TCMA.
    The problem is that too many people don't do enough of fighting and too m any people think that fighting is all there is to MA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This argument is as tired as grandmas tits

are we collectively so thick that we can't move onto another subject after all these years? what a waste of time.

Martial ability is in the hands.
    I don't really give buy in to much of what people say here and i don't expect buy in from anyone either.

But I know stupid when I see it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post

I really have no idea how to respond to people who think fighting in a ring in bike tights with rules is somehow a better representation of fighting skills than a street fight where there are no rules.
    Relativity is how.

Beating up a drunk bum vs squaring off against a well trained, martial athlete with at least 8 to 10 years devoted to beating your a$$.

Also, relative size.

A self-made famous internal master had made a career posting about his tough ghetto thug life, tons of video of Kung Fu wizardry against students drilling... offered to fight a similar sized MMAer. Not interested anymore.

You become better by competing. It is this way in all things (gold, surfing, business, war).... you become the best by beating the best, not by talking about it. There's tons of bums drinking beer last night watching the Super Bawl talking about their high school glory days. The best guys are on the field.... they always are.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 02-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.

ginosifu
    Hodgepodge of Judo, Choy Lee Fut, & BJJ > "pure single style" CMA.