Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who were Abbott Gee Gin's other disciples besides Hung Hei Gung?

Who were Abbott Gee Gin's other disciples besides Hung Hei Gung?

I ask this because it is listed that he taught other disciples besides HHG.

Hence, does any of the disciples other than HHG have styles that they developed? Or did the other original disciple group play a part in developing Hung Ga?

Thanks,
    LTN

Re:

Tong Jin Kan who established Tong Gar Kuen. On one of his past trips to Shaolin Temple, I received a phone call from Grandmaster Chiu Chi Ling, he was explaining to me the memorial to Tong Jin Kan and Tong Gar Kung Fu that was there in the temple. My first Sifu Yuan Chan, taught Buk Sil Lum and Tong Gar Kuen, it was nice to have that validity there in Shaolin concerning one of the true heroes of the revolution during that time.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yeah..except that the Southern Temple was built NOT on the grounds of the old temple ruins (for ease of tourist access) and is nothing more than a tourist attraction...
    I'm not disregarding the validity of your system, just the validity of the Southern Temple.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    yeah..except that the Southern Temple was built NOT on the grounds of the old temple ruins (for ease of tourist access) and is nothing more than a tourist attraction...
    I'm not disregarding the validity of your system, just the validity of the Southern Temple.
    The location of the southern temple was documented by the Hung Society. I believe it was the Gau Lin Mountain. is the location of the temple you're referring to in the same areas or location?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    The location of the southern temple was documented by the Hung Society. I believe it was the Gau Lin Mountain. is the location of the temple you're referring to in the same areas or location?
    they found what they believed to be the location, and found the ruins, then built it in another area nearby, as it would be more accessable for tourism. If you look at some of the "artifacts" they dug up, they are the same weapons we use today, but have been aged, weathered and antiqued to look old. They are notorious for that-we are being flooded with bogus antique swords, halberds, etc that are actually new.
    They do the same with Les Pauls-although I've read some reviews on the counterfiets and they are actually pretty good, once you set them up right and maybe replace some components.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Re:

According to my late Sifu, Tong Jin Kan initially started with his teacher at Mount Song, where as i'm told so did his Master Gee Sim Sum Si, before heading south, thereby in Tong jin Kan's boxing skills one can witness the extended movements or how Sifu used to say Long Bridge and Short Bridge manoeuvres. For example the tiger claw skills of Tong Gar are more akin in motion to Choy Lee Fut via its extension and raking, not so much the extend and contract motions found for example in Hung Gar. Sifu used to also say Tong Jin Kan was with his teacher before Hung Hei Kwun.
    Last edited by tungmojingjung; 02-07-2012 at 12:37 PM.

ok, so the memorial is at the Northern Shaolin Temple on Song Shan, rather than the Southern Temple?
    Makes sense...I suppose.
    So there are references to Ji Siem at the Northern Temple?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    they found what they believed to be the location, and found the ruins, then built it in another area nearby, as it would be more accessable for tourism. If you look at some of the "artifacts" they dug up, they are the same weapons we use today, but have been aged, weathered and antiqued to look old. They are notorious for that-we are being flooded with bogus antique swords, halberds, etc that are actually new.
    They do the same with Les Pauls-although I've read some reviews on the counterfiets and they are actually pretty good, once you set them up right and maybe replace some components.
    Now that's a stretch, claiming Shaolin as the origin of the Les Pauls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    No, not at all. Les Paul was a 18th generation shaolin monk and was well versed in making i... ah never mind, I can't pull this off!

D**N you Kellerman!

As an aside, Gee Sin Sim See was a traveller. He was trained at The Shaolin temple and then traveled and shared with various factions who opposed the Qing.

The southern Shaolin temple of now is a made for tourists type of place. It is not original and the one from close by was found in '97 and is STILL unconfirmed in regards to who built it, why etc. iT is a stretch to say it was the southern shaolin temple. Mainly because there is and always has been only ONE shaolin Temple and that is the one at Mount Song in DengFeng where it has been for more than 1500 years.

It was the repeated diaspora of Monks that spread Shaolin Kung Fu around China. It was then morphed and morphed again and again over the last 1500 years into the myriad styles we have today. The commonality between them is the basics. Stances, punches and kicks. The schisms of styles occurs with the advanced materials in each and it should be noted that many monks of varying degrees of skill shared their stuff over a wide area. So, very basics to advanced stuff morphed into the styles we have today with more than a few weird ones and of course plenty of highly questionable styles and ideas about Shaolin have come about since being in the realm of the whole world.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Chasing tone can be likened to chasing skill....Les Paul was known as the original "Tone Chaser," seeking out various woods, pickup configurations, etc., until he developed the first solid body electric guitar (nicknamed, "the log,") which went through many incarnations, refinements and variations, even to this day. He may have died, but his legacy lives on.
    Shaolin Boxing has also gone through and continues to go through the same process of constant refinement. The legacy of Shaolin lives on through all of us.

There! I did it!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thanks all for your interesting responses!

TungMoJingjung..thanks!

All,

May I ask, if we could get back to the original topic?

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tungmojingjung View Post
    My first Sifu Yuan Chan, taught Buk Sil Lum and Tong Gar Kuen
    How can I learn more of Yuan Chan?
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Re:

Northwind,

My Sifu Yuan Chan, was like many who came from china trying to make a better life for himself and his niece. I came to know him and learn from him due to the working relationship between him and my father. As my father used to help him out in return he started to train myself and two other brothers, my brothers went to basketball and I stayed with gung fu.

Sifu was very low key, he didn't really want to teach a class, as I recall it was myself, my brothers for a time, his niece and three other guys. His northern style was from Jing Mo and right now i don't remember the family line off the top of my head of Tong Gar Kuen, but i'll post it when i get home from work. he particularly favored the Gim (sword) and the Chiang (spear), he often played for us the northern styles skills but was rather reserved when it came to Tong Gar Kuen. In fact I believe he only started teaching me Tong Gar Kuen because he felt it suited me moreso than northern style, in hindsight I still like them both.

I still talk with his niece (Susan Chan) and one of my classmates under him name Fred Lau who lives in Sacramento, California

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    Thanks for sharing, TungMo! I'm a BSL guy myself but had not heard of him before, so it's always nice to hear about others' stories and whatnot. Thanks!
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Which of the three southern siulams you speaking of now?