Thread: Gary Lam on Chi sao and Sparring

Gary Lam on Chi sao and Sparring

I am posting this because I rather liked what Gary had to say and thought others interested in Gary's opinion might be interested in hearing what he has to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lUacRZw#t=293s
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 02-05-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

The guy with the yellow shirt & glasses is an old friend of mine.

Good old Kyriakos!
    Dio perdona... Io no!

Nice, thanks for the clip.

I think that clip shows what happens when you learn wing chun without full-contact sparring.
    Last edited by Peaceful Orchid; 02-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    LOL maybe it's me, but i think Gary was taking a shot at Ernie Barrios in the clip from 5:00 to 7:18

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    LOL maybe it's me, but i think Gary was taking a shot at Ernie Barrios in the clip from 5:00 to 7:18
    You might be right there.... gotta love WC

Incidentally, i liked his comments at 12.30 or so about playing around hitting each other... its just playing around as he says and nothing like fighting.

That probably gives some insight into his opinion on the infamous "Gary lam video incident"

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    You might be right there.... gotta love WC

Incidentally, i liked his comments at 12.30 or so about playing around hitting each other... its just playing around as he says and nothing like fighting.

That probably gives some insight into his opinion on the infamous "Gary lam video incident"
    Wasn't he supposed to have trained some people who fought Muay Thai? How come out of all his video clips, there is not a single one of anyone doing any full contact fighting or sparring?

You know, I like Gary Lam and all, and I don't know if these clips are showing concept related stuff only, but the stuff where he is closing the distance, maniuplating limbs, and taking people down is about as far from realistic as you can get. I have seen similar types of what I would call "parlor tricks" in many WCK clips though. Try and see how that cr@p works against even a competant HS wrestler that is actually resisting.

I also think there is a lot of knocking down straw men going on. "People on the Internet are saying you don't need chi sau you just need to spar".

No, no that is NOT what "people on the Internet" are saying. They are saying that there is a significant gap between a skill-building drill like chi sau, and actual fighting which is more realistically trained via sparring. And that people mistake skill in chi sau for skill in fighting. And that many times people in WCK never progress beyond the skill building drill to actually sparring.

Look, every striking art has skill-building drills. Boxing has speed bags and heavy bags. The difference is you don't see people running around making a speed bag dance, never sparring and talking up how great of a self-defense street fighter they are. You see that ALL THE TIME in WCK.