Thread: Trollhunter

Trollhunter

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Right now, the forum is hungry for troll blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That movie is so much win I can't even give it words.
    I've only seen trailers and clips!

I cannot wait to get to see the actual whole movie.

Public forums demand it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm eager to see Trollhunter too - sounds hysterical!

It's not what you post as much as what you chose to argue. Case and point, this thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So I saw this last weekend...

...only because it was recommended here on a thread that was closed and deleted. I've resurrected this portion on Trollhunter, edited out references to the original flame thread, and left the rest buried.

Here's my review:

When it comes to those films using the homemade-film motif with handheld-camcorder style of cinematography, I have been forever ruined by a horrible film called Cannibal Holocaust. Blair Witch Project, Super 8, any of those, I just can't hang with that cheap excuse for jiggly action after CH.

This is filmed in Norway, and is about some college documentary makers who stumble across a government-funded troll hunter. The troll hunter is funny, and the idea is amusing, but it's fairly predictable and fails to capitalize on a significant turn of events when they have to switch out cameramen. Norway looks wet and cold, with lots of nice waterfalls. The trolls are kind of cool.

It reminded me of the forum here a lot.

No swordfights.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Troll Hunter is a good movie. I gave it a very brief review a couple months ago in the "recent purchases" thread.

Ever see Cannibal Holocaust? DON'T. It'll wreck you for flicks like this.

The recent purchases thread is always the outlier for these film review threads. There's an OCD archivist in me that wants to chop up that thread and merge it into the specific film threads. I'm too lazy for that. Plus I don't think it would really benefit this forum. I never post on that thread because I never purchase movies, at least not in the common way. I watch screeners or rentals.

Trollhunter may have been the first Norwegian flick I've seen. There was another movie - Norwegian Ninja - that came out last year. Might have to check that out soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Let The Right One In", the C-R-E-E-P-Y vampire flick off of which "Let Me In" was based, is Norweigian too and is totally worth seeing. Folks in Norway love their fug, darkness and torpor.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    "Let The Right One In", the C-R-E-E-P-Y vampire flick off of which "Let Me In" was based, is Norweigian too and is totally worth seeing. Folks in Norway love their fug, darkness and torpor.
    It's actually Swedish.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Trollhunter may have been the first Norwegian flick I've seen. There was another movie - Norwegian Ninja - that came out last year. Might have to check that out soon.
    You might want to try Jade Warrior. It's a Finnish film about Chinese Swordsmanship. Very unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by charp choi View Post
    It's actually Swedish.
    Swedish, Norweigian... what's the difference?

MightyB

I've seen Jade Warrior. I liked it but can you explain the rubber duck? If so, chime in on our Jade Warrior thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boxtrolls

Here now. If you trolls start stealing my cheese, that's it. I'll ban you all.

There's a trailer if you follow the link.
    The Teaser Trailer and Poster for Laika's The Boxtrolls
    Source: iTunes Movie Trailers
    July 2, 2013

Focus Features has debuted the teaser trailer for Laika's new animated film, The Boxtrolls, coming to theaters on September 26, 2014 and featuring the voices of Ben Kingsley, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Elle Fanning, Jared Harris, Toni Collette, Nick Frost, Richard Ayoade, Tracy Morgan and Simon Pegg.

The new 3D animated feature tells the tale of the Boxtrolls, monsters who live underneath the charming streets of Cheesebridge, who crawl out of the sewers at night to steal what the townspeople hold most dear: their children and their cheeses. At least, that’s the legend the townspeople have always believed. In truth, the Boxtrolls are a community of lovable oddballs who are raising as one of their own an abandoned and orphaned human boy named Eggs. When the Boxtrolls are targeted by a villainous exterminator who is bent on eradicating them, Eggs must venture aboveground to save them, where he teams with an adventurous young girl to save not only the Boxtrolls but the soul of Cheesebridge.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

speaking of trolls

we're having our own troll issue with the bay bridge.

Bridge Troll's fate hangs in limbo
    Phillip Matier And Andrew Ross
    Published 4:40 pm, Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Troll, visible only by boat, was attached to the Bay Bridge after the 1989 earthquake and is seen as a good luck charm. Photo: Lance Iversen, The Chronicle

After years of roller-coaster costs, curses and delays, one key question about the new, $6.4 billion Bay Bridge eastern span remains: What happens to the Bridge Troll?

"I can tell you that there have been a lot of discussions about this at the highest levels, but so far no decision has been made," said Metropolitan Transportation Commission spokesman Randy Rentschler.

The Troll, a crafted piece of steel sculpture, lives under the north side of the old eastern span, out of drivers' sight.

The Troll has a barrel chest, spindly arms and legs, and long tongue. It's leaning forward slightly and holding what looks like a rod.

Created by artist Bill Roan and welded in place during the post-1989 earthquake retrofit, the 14-inch-tall Troll was viewed as a good-luck charm for workers on that project. It has also kept the bridge safe during the 24 years it has taken to build the replacement span.

Some think the Troll's uncertain future - now that the old span is been targeted for demolition - is what's behind all the bad luck that has befallen the new span, like the 32 snapped rods that were supposed to hold seismic-stability devices in place.

Joseph De Mario and Megan McHugh, who are working on a film called "Demolition Troll," say Roan would like the Troll to stay in place - at least for the time being - to protect the workers who will be taking the old bridge apart.

A just-released 25-page report by the bridge's management team - titled, "For Whom the Troll Dwells" - calls for the Troll to be preserved and eventually relocated to a safe place near the bridge.

The team further recommends that another troll statue be created for the new span to "provide a possible extra measure of safety."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Troll Hunter is one of the only 'mockumentary'-style movies that didn't make me queasy from motion sickness...then again, I watched it on DVD. The other one is Cloverfield, seen in a theater. Both are good movies, IMO.

The ones that made me feel ill were Blair Witch Project and Quarantine. In fact, I felt pretty nauseated for several hours after I left the theater for each of those. Which is why, since Quarantine, I won't watch any more new mockumentaries, especially in a theater. I know, I should've walked out at the first signs, but wanted to see the ends of those films. It wasn't worth it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-26-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Hollywood version

For a non-martial arts film, we sure got a lot of mileage out of this one.
    Neil Marshall Set To Helm ‘Troll Hunter’ Redo
    By MIKE FLEMING JR | Friday September 20, 2013 @ 10:20am

EXCLUSIVE: Neil Marshall has been set to direct Troll Hunter, the remake of the Norwegian film that IMG Global is financing. The Marc Haimes-scripted film is gearing toward an early 2014 production start, while there’s still snow on the ground in the locations where they will shoot.

That means that Marshall starts work on the $25 million film as soon as he returns from Ireland, where he is shooting next season’s biggest episode of HBO’s Game Of Thrones, one that is on the scale of the “Blackwater” episode he directed, which featured one of the most ambitious battle scenes I’ve ever seen on television. Marshall also directed the pilot episode of Black Sails for Michael Bay and Starz, which airs in 2014 and has already been picked up for a second season by the network. Marshall will do a director’s pass on the script by Haimes, who recently sold an untitled pitch to Paramount with Mary Parent producing.

Troll Hunter is being produced by 1492′s Christopher Columbus and Michael Barnathan and CJ Entertainment, along with the film’s original producers John Jacobsen and Sveinung Golimo. Marshall takes over an earlier script draft from Marc Haimes. They will aim high for the male lead, looking for a star not normally associated with the genre.

The André Øvredal-directed 2010 Norwegian original Trollhunter focused on a group of students investigating a series of mysterious bear killings. They follow a mysterious hunter into the deep woods, learning along the way that he is a troll hunter, and that the creatures killing those bears might not confine their appetites to that species only.

Marshall, best known for such edgy genre fare as Centurion, The Descent, Doomsday and Dog Soldiers, is repped by Principato Young Entertainment, Resolution and Carlos Goodman.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips