Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint Problems

Joint Problems

I've been experiencing a ton of joint trouble, particularly in the wrists and ankles. It seems to get worse when the weather gets colder or when there's more moisture in the air.

Do you know of any TCM dietary/ herbal recommendations that are good for joint problems?

You need to see an licensed acupuncturist/herbalist who can help you. You need to be monitored when on herbs as they are medicine.

Diet has to be examined as well, certain foods can exacerbate your issue, so again you need to see someone who can monitor your progress.

If cold and damp makes the problem worse, you have a cold/damp condition and need to be treated accordingly.

You can also try using a topical Dit Da Jow and see if that can help as well.

Let me know how I can be of service to you.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 02-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

I recommend high level Qi Gong.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I've been experiencing a ton of joint trouble, particularly in the wrists and ankles. It seems to get worse when the weather gets colder or when there's more moisture in the air.

Do you know of any TCM dietary/ herbal recommendations that are good for joint problems?

It could simply be the way you train. If you use the foot like in Muay Thai it is not good for you, and punching a heavy bag will cause it too if over done. And of course there is diet. You have to find the cause or anything else is just going to be a bandaid.
    Jackie Lee

You want to manage inflammation as well as help heal the joints.

Glucosamine supplements aid in healing joints. You can't get high levels of it in foods, so a supplement is the way to go. Speak to a physician, there may be side effects such as gas problems, belly ache, diarrhea etc type stuff is you take too much.

Inflammation can be dealt with by using over the counter anti-inflammatory meds such as advil. Be sparing with these as well because they are also hard on the guts with extended use.

If you go the tcm route, follow Dale's advice above.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks for the replies. I'm headed to the accupuncturist next week, so we'll see what comes of that.

I knew about glucosamine/chondroiton/MSM too, and have been taking lots of advil.

As for training, I'm not TOO intensive when I work out.

I was curious if anyone knew of any foods that are specifically known to exacerbate joint problems, or to make them better.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm headed to the accupuncturist next week, so we'll see what comes of that.

I knew about glucosamine/chondroiton/MSM too, and have been taking lots of advil.

As for training, I'm not TOO intensive when I work out.

I was curious if anyone knew of any foods that are specifically known to exacerbate joint problems, or to make them better.
    Yes. Cherries.

They help gout as well, but have been showing a lot of promise when arthritis sufferers consume them.

plus, they are a tasty treat kinda low in cals! (about 3-5 calories per cherry!)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Turmeric is an anti inflammatory.

Cherries and tumeric? This calls for kitchen experimentation...

No,

It calls for anyone seeking medical advice to consult with a licensed health care practitioner.

Self diagnosing and self medicating can be hazardous to your health.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    No,

It calls for anyone seeking medical advice to consult with a licensed health care practitioner.

Self diagnosing and self medicating can be hazardous to your health.
    what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    I recommend high level Qi Gong.
    because qi gong fixes EVERTHING, of course

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    because qi gong fixes EVERTHING, of course
    Not every thing, but most things.

I've seen it happen in myself and in others.

*Shrugs*

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

If High Level Qi Gong actually helped people, then you would see people being helped by it.

unfortunately that is not true.

Once you have helped people rid themselves of issues, you can then teach them to keep healthy using Qi Gong. That I agree with 100%

Healing with Qi Gong is somewhat sketchy.

Acupuncture and Herbs and Physical adjustments are much better than just Qi Gong alone.

Adding Qi gong to the above can help it but its the sum of the whole and not just one piece of the healing continuum.

Chris, Neeros is a Wahnam student who has been studying for less than two years at the Wahnam school of thought. Hence his responses.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 02-16-2012 at 06:44 AM.

[QUOTE=Neeros;1158396]Not every thing, but most things.
    so, you have direct experience working with patients who have been afflicted by "most things" then?

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    I've seen it happen in myself and in others.
    *Shrugs*
    great; how about providing some specific examples, with objective measures of outcome?

otherwise, your comments are meaningless beyond your own subjective perspective