Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Qin Na Submission

oh answered already, sorry threads moving to fast for my slow mind.

more along these lines

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    ya im not too sure, i just found these on the art of war mma site
    OK. Well, I'm not gonna look for the old thread I'm thinking of...it will bring back bad memories. But somewhere in the last year or so there was a thread with more information about this book.

more along these lines
    Yes, those are the important details that are determined by live training.

more along these lines

Yeah, well kung fu tries too hard to keep its feet on the ground to make good wrestlers.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Yeah, well kung fu tries too hard to keep its feet on the ground to make good wrestlers.
    Last time I checked, wrestling was mostly about trying to keep your feet on the ground while trying to take your opponent off his feet.

i think he means submission ground grappling
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i think he means submission ground grappling
    Yes. Sorry, can't leave any doors open in a troll mine like this. Thanks Lucas. Also I should specify the 'bottoms' of the feet.

Also I should specify the 'bottoms' of the feet.
    lol!!!!

Yes. Sorry, can't leave any doors open in a troll mine like this. Thanks Lucas. Also I should specify the 'bottoms' of the feet.
    Of course that does beg the question. Why wouldn't systems that train so hard to keep the bottoms of the feet on the ground not also become very good at submissions like judo and sambo have?

I guess I don't feel that's the case. Eagle Claw has great submissions. Sanda has top-notch stand-up grappling. So does shaio jiao.
    I only feel like its (positioning for)submission work from the ground that isn't great.

I guess I don't feel that's the case. Eagle Claw has great submissions. Sanda has top-notch stand-up grappling. So does shaio jiao.
    I only feel like its (positioning for)submission work from the ground that isn't great.
    i dont really buy into the cultural explination often given...it kind of makes sense, but then at the same time you have actual evidnece here that the desire and intent is there to do submission work on the ground...so wtf is the disconnect

Why would judo and sambo have such good ground submission work, since they are arguably some of the best in the world at maintaining the ability to stay on their feet?

And why do all systems that have verifiable evidence of their submissions working in skilled settings have the majority of their submissions on the ground?

i dont really buy into the cultural explination often given...it kind of makes sense, but then at the same time you have actual evidnece here that the desire and intent is there to do submission work on the ground...so wtf is the disconnect
    The disconnect is between training for real and training with compliant partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    Of course that does beg the question. Why wouldn't systems that train so hard to keep the bottoms of the feet on the ground not also become very good at submissions like judo and sambo have?
    I don't see how wrestling to throw someone on the ground automatically implies the development of submission wrestling.

For the sake of discussion, maybe it was felt that keeping it standing lends itself better to continuous action as opposed to watching someone like Big Country Roy face sitting someone for 18 minutes.

Also you guys keep using this phrase; I do not think it means what you think it means.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question