Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Qin Na Submission

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Also you guys keep using this phrase; I do not think it means what you think it means.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
    what ever you friggin smarty pants
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I don't see how wrestling to throw someone on the ground automatically implies the development of submission wrestling.
    It doesn't... take Greco or Freestyle wrestling for example.

On the other hand it doesn't preclude it as judo and sambo demonstrate.

For the sake of discussion, maybe it was felt that keeping it standing lends itself better to continuous action as opposed to watching someone like Big Country Roy face sitting someone for 18 minutes.
    Agreed. Historically, ground time has been limited to make matches more exciting for spectators.

I can't say anything I haven't before. Most of our submissions on the ground are done with us on our feet...Most of the sport fighting ends when you hit the ground...I don't really see the disconnect.

...is what I was going to say if wenshu hadn't beaten me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Most of our submissions on the ground are done with us on our feet...(
    I'll leave Lucas to come back and answer the impracticality of that after he's trained judo for 8 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    It doesn't... take Greco or Freestyle wrestling for example.

On the other hand it doesn't preclude it as judo and sambo demonstrate.

Agreed. Historically, ground games have been limited to make matches more exciting for spectators.
    I think the focus on submissions is a relatively recent development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvqA...eature=related

In high level Shuai Jiao if the competitors don't attempt any execution or are not constantly fighting for better hand position the ref issues a warning and will reset them.

If they feel that way about just holding the same grips for more than a few seconds how do you think it looks to them to watch two guys hug each other on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what ever you friggin smarty pants
    That really hurts my feelings.

I'll leave Lucas to come back and answer the impracticality of that after he's trained judo for 8 months or so.
    Oh, I understand...I don't want to get into this whole thing again, but anyway we do 'import' some ground-fighting in my school. Ultimately though, ground fighting for ground fighting is a very small part of our curriculum. Our ground-fighting is aimed at finishing a take-down, or getting back up from one...with a few reversals here and there...there is no prolonged ground game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvqA...eature=related

In high level Shuai Jiao if the competitors don't attempt any execution or are not constantly fighting for better hand position the ref issues a warning and will reset them.
    Looks like Shuai Jiao doesn't have much in the way of submissions in the first place.

Oh, I understand...I don't want to get into this whole thing again, but anyway we do 'import' some ground-fighting in my school. Ultimately though, ground fighting for ground fighting is a very small part of our curriculum. Our ground-fighting is aimed at finishing a take-down, or getting back up from one...with a few reversals here and there...there is no prolonged ground game.
    Hence the reason you can't develop much of a ground or submission game.
    Last edited by Peaceful Orchid; 02-07-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Looks like Shuai Jiao doesn't have much in the way of submissions in the first place.
    Yeah, that was kind of the point. . .

I don't know very much about shuai jiao, just a little bit my teacher has shown me/us. (He's not a shuai jiao guy, but he's trained it some anyway) There's more than one shuai jiao. There is sport shuai jiao and combat shuai jiao. There are all kinds of hidden strikes and breaks...it's a really 'dirty' fighting styles.
    One time he used me to demonstrate the sport versus combat version of a throw. It was just a variation on a hip throw(I think)...but the way the combat version was set up, my knee was locked out, and my foot stuck to the ground...if he'd finished the throw my leg definitely would have broken. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to replicate it... Anyway, there are many layers to shuai jiao...wish I knew more about them.

Yeah, that was kind of the point. . .
    Which would make the answer to the original question of the thread be "They don't, and the disconnect is that they don't use them as part of their ruleset."

OK. PO. Now that I've seen your lovely posts while I was writing, I won't bother answering again...it's clear what you are.

I don't know very much about shuai jiao, just a little bit my teacher has shown me/us. (He's not a shuai jiao guy, but he's trained it some anyway) There's more than one shuai jiao. There is sport shuai jiao and combat shuai jiao. There are all kinds of hidden strikes and breaks...it's a really 'dirty' fighting styles.
    One time he used me to demonstrate the sport versus combat version of a throw. It was just a variation on a hip throw(I think)...but the way the combat version was set up, my knee was locked out, and my foot stuck to the ground...if he'd finished the throw my leg definitely would have broken. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to replicate it... Anyway, there are many layers to shuai jiao...wish I knew more about them.
    A lot of the grip breaks could be submissions but because you are standing up you can move to nullify the disadvantageous leverage which is what your opponent wants to set up the throw.

Whereas on the ground your mobility is more easily restricted hence why the majority of submissions only work on the ground.

OK. PO. Now that I've seen your lovely posts while I was writing, I won't bother answering again...it's clear what you are.
    Simply making the point that if you can't practice your submissions realistically, you can't get very good at them.

A lot of the grip breaks could be submissions but because you are standing up you can move to nullify the disadvantageous leverage which is what your opponent wants to set up the throw.

Whereas on the ground your mobility is more easily restricted hence why the majority of submissions only work on the ground.
    Yes, excellent point.

The other thing is that as soon as you commit to a standing submission, it makes it easier for your opponent to un-root you. Which is ironic when you hear people talking about the importance of maintaining their root yet having the mindset of applying standing submissions.
    Last edited by Peaceful Orchid; 02-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.