Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: When are we going to stop this?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    What you say is true and smart and that is so rare here so I wanted to let you know it's appreciated.

Personally, I like wrestlers because they don't like being on their back, and instead of securing a position, like half guard and work from there, they tend so squirm and give the back or other opportunities..... this of course is generalizing the reactions of non-figthing wrestlers.

Judo guys are tough. Not only because of the throws, they understand the grip game at a high level. They set things up from the very beginning. Very good at tugging on the collar. And they have a powerful ground game.

Sambo guys, in my experience, are sneaky little *******s.... and you have to watch for the ankle and knee locks. I like that about them. For 6 months all I did was take private lessons at Renzo's for leg locks.... because they told me they weren't allowed in while belt classes. I like to train the moves that work so well and cause so much damage they're illegal. People freak out. Tap..... or get hurt.

Not sure what the point of this is, but its good to know the strengths and tendencies of each style.... the weak part of non-figthing, non competing BJJers is that they are delicate...... they'll flinch when accidentally elbowed, catch a knee, head butt. etc. But most non-fighters and/or competitors will.

I honestly have to say, pound for pound, year to year, it's very hard to beat BJJ in a 1-to-1 match..... they change levels and get under striking. They take a strike to gain control for the take down.. Once down, its like fish out of water for the non BJJer.

BJJ is a great style. That's why endorse it. And I've been at places that place equal emphasis on self defense and others that are 100% training to roll and just roll factories.... which I like too.

Either way, BJJers should train some boxing or kick boxing the same way a boxer or kick boxer should train a little BJJ.

I would guess dedicated TCMAers who are comfortable with their hands, compete in San Da or kick boxing, eventually find their way to BJJ.... and then adding that go to MMA. It's natural.

This is not to say that MMA is better. It's just a more open environment..... fighters want to fight as unrestrained as possible. For their own freedom. And for knowing when they win they won against the others best.

What does this mean for Kung Fu?

I would think it means one of a few things:

Focus on what you do best.... focus on the trapping and sticking. Advertise that. Sell that.

But who would it draw? Fighters want to see proof. They want to see it work. They want to feel and test a technique.... it's their a$$ on the line.

So why would an MMAer go devote 10 years to walking in a circle when those who walk circle can't do what he does? But anyone can walk around and around..... well, they say the others don't walk round and round the right way? But what difference is the way around if both ways go nowhere..... no proof. no living example.

So the other way is to change:

To adapt new ways. But will you adapt BJJ better than the lifetime student who has 3 sons with schools? Maybe.

What about the hands? Do you need to change from stick and follow to create openings/angles? Can you do that better than boxing? Maybe.
    OMG - Ray! You're losing the hate.

This is a good post -

When are we going to stop this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I say we shut down every thread that goes that way.
    Don ' t waste your energy , no matter how much you try to stop a thread from going to far and stop it . Some one will start it again . The best thing to do is not to respond to it . And see what happens .

Popular speech never needs protection.... critical speech. Ideas that challenge.... those are the ones that need protection and should be welcomed.

Contrary to my accusers.... my posts are on topic. My posts are about Kung Fu. 100%.... they're just not flattering.

To compare.... I would use pro football to highlight the fantasies of flag football enthusiasts who somehow proliferated that they possess higher ability, skill and physical attributes than those in the NFL.

I would point out: That if they want to be the best football player they could be they should follow the example, the training methods of the best universities and pro teams..... but that's crazy talk. That has nothing to do with flag football. They would have nothing to gain by learning explosive, catching, tackling angle drills by people who make a living doing these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    It's hard to compare grappling tournaments because the risk of injury isn't there like it is in these combat sports. I guess there is just something about getting hit full contact that scares people away, and as I have heard you say many times and I agree grappling can be done and competed in for many years.
    I have to say, my worst injuries have occured not in the ring or cage, but on the practice mat in BJJ. You roll hard three times a week with guys you love but are competitive with.... you think about how they got you or you got them last time. It sometimes gets intense. It's never intentionally. But it happens.

Curious if this matches other's experience? The training = more dangerous than the actual fighting?

Popular speech never needs protection.... critical speech. Ideas that challenge.... those are the ones that need protection and should be welcomed.

Contrary to my accusers.... my posts are on topic. My posts are about Kung Fu. 100%.... they're just not flattering.

To compare.... I would use pro football to highlight the fantasies of flag football enthusiasts who somehow proliferated that they possess higher ability, skill and physical attributes than those in the NFL.

I would point out: That if they want to be the best football player they could be they should follow the example, the training methods of the best universities and pro teams..... but that's crazy talk. That has nothing to do with flag football. They would have nothing to gain by learning explosive, catching, tackling angle drills by people who make a living doing these things.
    OMG.....U really need to STFU already. u're not even a kung fu student and certainly no Master. However, u R a wannabe elitist.

If you know what you know, you are doing much better than the average person.
    Worse... I know how much I don't know. And I know my limitations.

The only thing you can do is show people different paths, and let them choose which one they want to walk.

Life is much too short to argue with people who make no difference at all in your life. Train, grow, progress, and prosper. That is all one really needs to do.
    Well said.

Know I don't take any of these posts to heart. I speak my mind and my truth.... every once in a while I read something or see a video that makes it worth the time. The reason I ride TCMA so much is because I love it. Appreciate its potential and history.

For a very short period I had a goal of bringing TCMA to MMA. I wasn't skilled enough, tough enough. I also realized its a silly concept. Then I just wanted to train with the best competitors I could, to improve and to also learn to teach a son or student someday. Now I train to lose this belly, have fun, and add to my BJJ..... my hands are still from my internal master. The safest system I've encountered so far. No. 1 goal: don't touch me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    my friend bit a guys ear off in a fight once when the clinch went to the ground. it had a very startling effect, the guy started freaking out, and then got the tar beat out of him along with is missing ear. my friend went to jail. but he wont that fight and got the girl.
    thats nothing. one time my friend bit a guys testicle off.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There is one effective biting spot and that will be the finger. If you can bite one of your opponent's fingers "off". Not only the pain and lost blood, the thinking that if he doesn't go to EM to reconnect his disconnected finger ASAP, he may lost it forever. That kind of thinking will take his combat desire away. He will worry about himself (rergain his lose finger) instead of worry about you (kill you). It's good strategy in life and death situation. It may not fit in in friendly sport environment.

If you bite a chunk of fresh off your opponent's arm or leg, his fresh will grow back. If you broke his elbow or knee, his broken joint will recover. If you bite your opponet's fingers off, it will not grow back. Not sure if ear or nose will grow back though?
    I remember back in the '80s, reading a two-part article in a mag about old-school karate fighter Jim Harrison, in which he stated that during one streetfight, while he and his opponent were on the ground, he ended up biting off the tip of the other guy's finger at the last joint. He said during the heat of combat, he nearly choked on the piece of finger. I remember he said he eventually was able to spit it out, but I don't remember the rest of the details of the fight. Something to keep in mind, though. That and the fact that you never know what diseases someone you bite (or bites you!) might have. Of course, in an emergency, you probably won't have time to consider that.

Curious if this matches other's experience? The training = more dangerous than the actual fighting?
    Yes.
    Remy Bonjasky says "Train hard, fight easy".
    There's a lot of truth to this.

I've told my experiences a bunch of times on these forums.

In a nutshell, I like friendly, constructive sparring, but I am realistic enough to admit that sometimes even that can lead to injuries.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

For a very short period I had a goal of bringing TCMA to MMA. I wasn't skilled enough, tough enough. I also realized its a silly concept. Then I just wanted to train with the best competitors I could, to improve and to also learn to teach a son or student someday.
    If something's working, no shame in borrowing it; especially if you're going to pass it on.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Spare us the pariah act.

Nothing you say is original or as lofty as you think. Every single one of your salient points has already been discussed ad nauseum and anyone here who trains for real even a little bit is already of conscious of it.

You're like a constant repeat of the same three posts from a sub-literate bullshido thread from 2003.

Is that really all it takes to glorify your own ego? Regurgitate a few unsophisticated arguments that people worked out a decade ago and all of the sudden you're Thomas Jefferson.

Spare us the pariah act.

Nothing you say is original or as lofty as you think. Every single one of your salient points has already been discussed ad nauseum and anyone here who trains for real even a little bit is already of conscious of it.

You're like a constant repeat of the same three posts from a sub-literate bullshido thread from 2003.

Is that really all it takes to glorify your own ego? Regurgitate a few unsophisticated arguments that people worked out a decade ago and all of the sudden you're Thomas Jefferson.
    Its not an ego. I believe he has a brain tumor that makes him believe he, HE, would bring reality to the TCMA world. As if HE is the great white hope......TOO LATE. Kung Fu is on the uprise and it isn't due to Mr Pinas....not even in the slightest. That tumor prevents him the video proof so many people keep handing him. I personally think MMA doesn't want him so he has to come here.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Hollywood sign, I'm lost
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Ignorance is one of our worse sins.
    I was never that biased about BJJ, I was a shodan in Judo when it "came around" officially ( I had seen it and read about it a decade before).
    But until I did it I never truly understood the whole different level that BJJ is on in terms of ground work.
    The biggest issue is and always will be the ignorance of those spewing the TCMA VA MMA view or the TCMA VS Sportcombat systems view.
    As a person that has done both I see all the benefits of BOTH and disregard all the cons of both.
    Would be nice if everyone did the same...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !