Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: When are we going to stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    So, if that's the case, why is a school of training that supposedly trains in a method akin to MMA competing something that is more related to something like Muay Thai rather than doing MMA which should be more representative of what they train?
    2 reasons:
    1. Shuai Chiao may do ground training, but the bread & butter that they're famous for is takedowns. Sanshou is not muay thai, takedowns score.
    2. Shuai Chiao is a chinese art and sanshou is a chinese competition format.

You could go compete in a BJJ tournament as a Judoka, but it's probably just easier to find a Judo competition.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Blog Entries
    Could you post the list of the upcoming grappling competitions and the divisions your team will be competing in?
    The "grappling competition" is done on individual level and not by the ACSCA (American Combat Shuai Chiao Association) level. The ACSCA does not encourage or discourage the integration of the "ground game". Since most people who trained "combat Shuai Chiao" already had BJJ or wrestling in their previous background (one of my guys even had 22 years in calligiate and freestyle wrestling and some coaching). The ground game was brought in without ACSCA officially involved.

David C. K. Lin will bring his guys to compete Shuai Chiao and Sanshou/Sanda in China this coming June. My guys will joint in his team this time.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-09-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    2 reasons:
    1. Shuai Chiao may do ground training, but the bread & butter that they're famous for is takedowns. Sanshou is not muay thai, takedowns score.
    2. Shuai Chiao is a chinese art and sanshou is a chinese competition format.

You could go compete in a BJJ tournament as a Judoka, but it's probably just easier to find a Judo competition.
    So it seems kind of disingenuous to call it the MMA of CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    mma today is NOTHING like vale tudo.

holy crap.

The no holds barred (nhb) was the inception point for modern mma.

Vale tudo was no gloves, no jock no mouthguard and anything went including fish hooks, eye gouges, elbows to the back of the head and the back, no tapping etc etc etc.

TO claim that mma is "like" that is...well, goofy in my opinion.
    You don't honestly think people are dumb enough to elevate today's sport fighting to that kind of violence do you?

UFC and Strikforce pretty much define what modern mma is.

Vale Tudo is a step away from stabbing each other to death. If it had knives, that is exactly what would happen. Way beyond what we see now with timed rounds, the 32 rules , tapping etc etc.

man, people talk crap!
    If you are responding to my post, it seems like you are the one who talks uninformed crap, considering the fact that I didn't say MMA was like Vale Tudo. I said it was a watered down version that has evolved for marketing, business, and public acceptance reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The "grappling competition" is done on individual level and not by the ACSCA (American Combat Shuai Chiao Association) level. The ACSCA does not encourage or discourage the integration of the "ground game". Since most people who trained "combat Shuai Chiao" already had BJJ or wrestling in their previous background, the ground game was brought in without ACSCA involved.
    So basically, when you said this:

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    All of my guys train "ground fight" today. One of my guys even won the 2nd place in local "grappling tournament".
    You really meant that one of the guys who trains with you and was already trained in the ground game before he trained with went on his own to a local grappling tourney to compete.

Hey look everyone! It's Japanese Nick Cage!

I mean, if we're going to talk silly crap...

kf..is that you?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you are responding to my post, it seems like you are the one who talks uninformed crap, considering the fact that I didn't say MMA was like Vale Tudo. I said it was a watered down version that has evolved for marketing, business, and public acceptance reasons.
    Think much of yourself? The tack you were going with it is what I was talking about and you're still wrong.

NHB is where american or modern mma comes form.

Vale Tudo was at best, AT BEST somewhat inspirational to it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Think much of yourself? The tack you were going with it is what I was talking about and you're still wrong.

NHB is where american or modern mma comes form.

Vale Tudo was at best, AT BEST somewhat inspirational to it.
    The first three UFCs (which was known as NHB back then) were the same rulesets as the original Vale Tudo matches. Current MMA is a direct evolution of those early UFC's.

Brazilian Vale Tudo >>> American/Asian/European NHB >>> Current MMA

There's Superman... but where's Clark Kent? He must be out getting orange juice... freshly squeezed.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

So...

MMA vs TMA

Also...

Chuck Norris
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There's Superman... but where's Clark Kent? He must be out getting orange juice... freshly squeezed.
    he's never around when...hey...wait a minute !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    So...

MMA vs TMA

Also...

Chuck Norris
    Chuck Norris has been mentioned.
    Thread is over.
    Internet is beaten !

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Chuck Norris has been mentioned.
    Thread is over.
    Internet is beaten !
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato