Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: When are we going to stop this?

Internet boards are sort of a Catch 22 in that anytime you have a topic of interest at hand that people are discussing and learning from, someone comes on and begins shi***ting up the thread with garbage.

Case in point, I am a Kung Fu artist, I have trained in Pai Lum Kung Fu since 1994 and have trained other arts, but I still consider myself a Kung Fu practioner. This has been going on for years with several martial artists, that is, the mixture, study, and exposure of different arts. Why should we all jump on the band wagon and say we are MMA guys??

I'll tell you why people do, because it is the current thing in martial arts and brings people through the door. People only know what they know because of electronic knowledge. When they watch TV or look on the internet for martial arts, they find the UFC and MMA, so that is what they do.

I had a guy the other day come up to me at the gym I lift at. He said he wanted to come to my class but only wanted to grapple, no stand up. First off I told him if he wanted to attend my class, he would train in and do ALL things I teach in our Kung Fu system, not pick and choose what he wants to learn. He than told me he was not interested in those other things, to which I told him there are other schools/gyms around that may be able to give him what he wants.

This pi***ss poor attitude of "I'll learn what I want to learn" is exactly why the younger generation are a bunch of snot nosed grab ass*ess. I couldn't imagine walking into one of the old school kwoons or dojos I trained in and telling the instructor "I want to train but I will only do this and this, and not this".

The truth is, I blame MMA for this division. Yes, we as consumers have a right to train and study what we want, but the truth is many of these people have absolutely no base or experience to be telling a seasoned instructor what they want. It is arrogant and stupid, which in my opinion pretty much defines this generation to begin with. If you want to train and learn from someone who knows something that you don't, do it respectfully and all in or don't do it at all!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

a dollar LHK?

I think what you need is aboud tree fiddy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Internet boards are sort of a Catch 22 in that anytime you have a topic of interest at hand that people are discussing and learning from, someone comes on and begins shi***ting up the thread with garbage.

Case in point, I am a Kung Fu artist, I have trained in Pai Lum Kung Fu since 1994 and have trained other arts, but I still consider myself a Kung Fu practioner. This has been going on for years with several martial artists, that is, the mixture, study, and exposure of different arts. Why should we all jump on the band wagon and say we are MMA guys??

I'll tell you why people do, because it is the current thing in martial arts and brings people through the door. People only know what they know because of electronic knowledge. When they watch TV or look on the internet for martial arts, they find the UFC and MMA, so that is what they do.

I had a guy the other day come up to me at the gym I lift at. He said he wanted to come to my class but only wanted to grapple, no stand up. First off I told him if he wanted to attend my class, he would train in and do ALL things I teach in our Kung Fu system, not pick and choose what he wants to learn. He than told me he was not interested in those other things, to which I told him there are other schools/gyms around that may be able to give him what he wants.

This pi***ss poor attitude of "I'll learn what I want to learn" is exactly why the younger generation are a bunch of snot nosed grab ass*ess. I couldn't imagine walking into one of the old school kwoons or dojos I trained in and telling the instructor "I want to train but I will only do this and this, and not this".

The truth is, I blame MMA for this division. Yes, we as consumers have a right to train and study what we want, but the truth is many of these people have absolutely no base or experience to be telling a seasoned instructor what they want. It is arrogant and stupid, which in my opinion pretty much defines this generation to begin with. If you want to train and learn from someone who knows something that you don't, do it respectfully and all in or don't do it at all!!
    This entire post should be stickied and put at the head of every forum section.
    It should be etched in stone and placed at the door of every Martial Arts school.
    It should be tattooed on the forehead of every snot-nosed grab ass.
    I can go on...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    a dollar LHK?

I ain't greedy brother
    One dollar, a tiny gem of kindness from a beejillion compassionate souls will be just fine. But feel free to three fifty me ay time you feel so inclined
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, the history behind that crap is rather interesting.
    The upward palm strike to the "nose" actually works and can even kill, just not by driving the non-existent nose bone into the brain.
    The upward angle CAN cause severe trauma to the neck/head ( whiplash effect) and that CAN cause a KO which CAN cause a person to fall while unconcious and, well, die.
    BUT the true "killing technique" is a bit different and is rather dangerous to be honest.
    One of my close bros was attacked with knives by two men and after getting cut a couple of times he manage to snag one guy's wrist and back hand knife edge chops the guys nose bridge a few times and this starts the guy gushing through the nose. He then executes the classic shove the nose into the brain palm strike! Guy drops like a sack of potatoes, blood everywhere, my bro starts trying to wipe the blood from his palm and realizes his hand is messed up. All those chops to the bridge of the nose shattered the nasal bone and part of the maxillary process creating a compound fracture. My buddy's hand had been pierced by a gang of bone fragments from the guys FUBAR proboscis....
    Knife guy lived. No bone fragment pushed through his brain
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you can indeed drive the nose through the brain.

with the front bumper of a Mack truck.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    with the front bumper of a Mack truck.
    Is that a move in Sil Lum Tao?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    One of my close bros was attacked with knives by two men and after getting cut a couple of times he manage to snag one guy's wrist and back hand knife edge chops the guys nose bridge a few times and this starts the guy gushing through the nose. He then executes the classic shove the nose into the brain palm strike! Guy drops like a sack of potatoes, blood everywhere, my bro starts trying to wipe the blood from his palm and realizes his hand is messed up. All those chops to the bridge of the nose shattered the nasal bone and part of the maxillary process creating a compound fracture. My buddy's hand had been pierced by a gang of bone fragments from the guys FUBAR proboscis....
    Knife guy lived. No bone fragment pushed through his brain
    LOL !
    Such is what happens when reality meets theory !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Is that a move in Sil Lum Tao?
    Mack Dai Da!
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That's not bad at all Lucas.

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i try
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Hey buddy that's prolly 'cause I don't do establishment
    I mainly offer private instruction so if you are interested in instruction or meeting for tea I can forward my number to you in PM and we can get things rolling?

How's your teacher Xu?

He used to teach at a park before he built his temple, I was in his first class of students when Peter Shiao brought him over so you'd prolly wanna refer to me as Sihing

Oh yea, also I teach a public class every week Saturday morning 11-1 at Plummer Park in West Hollywood, CA, 90048 in case you'd like to stop by

It would be great to meet you, I love making new friends.
    You look very nice in gold! But I thought you were taller and your skin was a bit darker than in this picture!

lol tiger balm so true, the good strong stuff too