Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Footwear of the Fast and Furious (or average joe)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    I second both the Vibram five-fingers and wrestling shoes recommendations, though I give the edge to wrestling shoes.
    Vibrams aren't stable on a mat. I almost ripped a pair once. And vibrams have to be tried on which is hard since most store don't carry them. You have make sure they're the right size. My girlfriend bought me a pair as a bday gift because I wore a hole in my first vibrams. They were a bit too big and I couldn't wear them because my toes started hurting really badly(don't tell her I don't wear them).

if you want to try on vibrams find an actual running store. thats the purpose of the shoe. so shoe store that caters directly to runners will have all the vibram models generally.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I wear $25 tennis shoes with velcro straps (no laces). I have used these for martial arts and work for decades.

That is exactly what I wear all the time. I have spent a lot of ruples on shoes that nearly killed me, and the cheaper walmart shoes do the best. I find that if you are not careful you will slip and slide inside a shoe. As your day progresses the feet tend to shrink for some reason. For this reason I get the narrow shoe rather than wide, and about half a size larger to give me toe room. I keep the toenails trimmed short too. This way the shoe can fit snug and not jam my toes. I like the outer strap tight enough that the shoe remains in place on the foot, and I bend the foot back as far as it will go (toe toward the shin) before fastening the upper strap. I can move about quickly without tripping on my own shoes. Footwear is extremely important when you are doing gung fu of any sort.
    I went to a VA doctor with what I thought to be gout. He bent down and re-adjusted the top strap on my shoes and the pain simply went away. I felt DUH-UH that day.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    Howdy to all my Kung Fu brethren!

Just looking for opinions, input, experience, etc.. on 'what is the best footwear you have used'

I know the general response is either "Feiyue" shoes or "whatever you wear everyday because you want to practice in what you wear otherwise it defeats the purpose...." ok.....got that part

What I am saying is, in your wonderful and experienced opinions, what shoes have you found to be useful, comfortable, and somewhat good looking everyday shoes that are functional during practice?

Its time for me to trade in my everyday raggedy @ss runners for some new shoes and I want to make sure I get a pair that are durable, somewhat stylish (though I am not terribly vain) but mostly function well (as in allow me to pivot without sticking too much, flex the toes up so I can use the ball of my foot, and still provide decent traction for kicks)
    I was eyeballing those Reebok Zigs or CrossFit because the sole looks decently flexible, but I am afraid its too much traction that will kill my pivoting.

oh....please don't say "you're gonna have to try them on and see what works for you" I imagine I will at some point have to do just that, I'd like to get some feedback first and narrow it down a bit so I'm not in the shoe store Kung Fu'ing all over the place in 60 different shoes.... ya know

Thanks Everyone
    I have tried nike, reebok, puma,--

really depending on you and want you want

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    I have tried nike, reebok, puma,--

really depending on you and want you want

what did you think of the nike, reebok, and pumas?

As I said I just want something comfortable, durable, decent traction but still allows me to pivot.

Right now I am leaning towards the indoor soccer shoes or the Vibrams, though I am worried the Vibrams might grip too much and hinder the pivot or cause blisters...

Trial and error I guess. I will be doing some round kicks and forms at the local 'Sport Chek'
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.
    I peeped at a feast over there......and over there.....

Skateboard shoes are perfect for me. No puffy heels. No arch. No waffle-stomper tread. No ball-of-the-foot pivot disc.

Good for heel kicks and you can feel the ground. Not too much traction so you can move quickly.

It's like choosing a good ring fighting surface: soft for wrestlers who need the "stick" and a cushion to fall on, hard for boxers who want faster footwork.

I've tried both wrestling and boxing shoes. Wrestling shoes feel good but don't have enough sole to be a good platform for my style. I have trouble finding boxing boots that fit well and they have more ankle support than I want.

Agree that well-worn fei-yues are pretty good. Fresh out of the box they are too sticky and are hard to balance on with no discernible edge to the soles.

On the other hand, three of my teachers preferred short dress boots, what used to be called "Beatle boots." That was their era--they came out of Gwongdong and Hong Kong in the '50s and '60s. They cause pain, pain, pain and they cut skin like nobody's business.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Skateboard shoes are perfect for me. No puffy heels. No arch. No waffle-stomper tread. No ball-of-the-foot pivot disc.

Good for heel kicks and you can feel the ground. Not too much traction so you can move quickly.

It's like choosing a good ring fighting surface: soft for wrestlers who need the "stick" and a cushion to fall on, hard for boxers who want faster footwork.
    Excellent, exactly what I am looking for. I used to have a pair of Vans years ago, but wouldn't the sole be too thick for flexing on skate shoes? I want to make sure on my front kicks I can really plant the ball of my foot in and not get that "toe jam".....I hate toe jam....

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    On the other hand, three of my teachers preferred short dress boots, what used to be called "Beatle boots." That was their era--they came out of Gwongdong and Hong Kong in the '50s and '60s. They cause pain, pain, pain and they cut skin like nobody's business.
    Hard to the Core
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

For training, I used to wear Cole-Haan deck-style shoes. Not fancy, but they were comfortable, would last a fair amount of time, and I could move comfortably in them. Also, the soles had some traction, but they weren't overly grippy. The big danger with overly-grippy soles would be the greater chance of knee injury during a turning, shifting or spinning move. They didn't look fancy, but they worked. I haven't been able to find them lately, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The big danger with overly-grippy soles would be the greater chance of knee injury during a turning, shifting or spinning move. They didn't look fancy, but they worked. I haven't been able to find them lately, though.
    Precisely the issue I am having now with the runners I'm training in. Too much grip, won't allow for that smooth and subtle pivot when I follow through on the round kicks, etc.. seems like they catch at just the wrong moment and really screw me up. Not to mention, as you said, the unnecessary torque on the knee/ankle/hip/muscles/etc..
    But at the same time (ironically) I need something that allows enough grip that when I plant for a kick I'm not going to slip out half way through and really hurt myself.....
    Its like I need something with grip on the heel and way less on the ball/toe area that way when I pivot I can place more pressure on the ball of my foot vs. the heel, and when I need to plant I can place more pressure on the heel, its very complicated and subtle when you think of the micro-mechanics of every kick/punch....
    man I love Kung Fu.....
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    but wouldn't the sole be too thick for flexing on skate shoes? I want to make sure on my front kicks I can really plant the ball of my foot in and not get that "toe jam".....I hate toe jam....
    Could be. I don't give that consideration because my style doesn't use ball of foot kicks. That technique developed in barefoot styles. You might need something softer--and more expensive. Fei Yue is still a good choice then, cheaper than skateboard shoes.

I was in on the first skateboard craze in California, 1964. When the third or fourth wave of popularity hit in the '80s it really hurt me because the cheap Chinese sneakers that I loved for kung fu and could get for about $10 were rebranded as skate shoes and cost $50 to $100 more.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

$25 lace up leather cross trainers.

We train on asphalt, so the cross trainers are good for mobility and wear.

Lace them up tight so the shoes don't come off when throwing hard kicks.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    THATS IT!!!!! Those are PERFECT!!!
    What are they called and where can I get them????
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.

hey now the good stuff doesnt come cheap...send a little something my way and i might be able to hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    hey now the good stuff doesnt come cheap...send a little something my way and i might be able to hook you up.
    I can see it now....some dark, back alley, two shady characters, and a jittery, paranoid, barefoot man making an 'exchange of goods'.....
    Suddenly the cops rush in...the next days headline reads:

Bad Ballet! A shady shoe swindle gone wrong.
    Police Gum-shoe 'laces' the case and the Perps get the 'boot'
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.