Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crazy bag

crazy bag

Quote Originally Posted by Liokault View Post
    Dude, step away from the heavy bag, get a floor to ceiling ball and/or a guy who knows what he’s doing with a set of pads.
    so i followed this bit of advice... i have had mine now for about 5 days... pointers??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1TK...ature=youtu.be

pointers??
    Hit it like a man and stop with the f@ggy wrist slaps.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Uki,

One thing you have going is good eye hand coordination and "connection" with the bag. In Pai Lum our serpent techniques are similiar to the stance you are keeping, in that the feet are stationary and the upper torso and body move from side to side to counter and evade than attack.

It seems to me this is what you are going for, however, one problem with this is most opponents are not going to stay stationary, at least if they are any good, so incorporating good foot work and movement into your bag training is essential because the serpent style of evasion can work but not at all times, particulary on an opponent who moves and uses angles well.

In other words, move more often, move your body, move your head, just move man!

It also would benefit you to add more power strikes to this. Yes, the double end bag is for developing speed and timing, but power will come through this as well when your technique improves. Hope that helps.

Here is a clip of me doing double end bag work, the head movement, parrying, footwork, and overall movement are what I think would help you the most:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rVC...acy4aw&lf=plcp
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

yo that vid was crooked man.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    yo that vid was crooked man.
    What can I say, I'm a crooked mofo!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

what's the difference between wearing gloves and not, while practicing on this bag?

Not bad for new to the ceiling to floor bag.

Watch your straight left.... it's dropping on the follow through. Someone will rush in on that.

Great coordination.

Try a good lead straight followed by a cross, pivot step. Lead hook.... good combo.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    what's the difference between wearing gloves and not, while practicing on this bag?
    Besides the obvious inability to do open hand strikes, if you train with boxing gloves it will make you better with boxing gloves, for your speed and timing mostly. Doing it bare hand is not bad, and you should actually do both from time to time, I know I do, it mostly depends on your goals and what you are trying to improve upon.

One other thing Uki, it is a good idea to tuck your chin, and in most of your work I see you with the head up and chin exposed. Give a slight tuck to the chin to protect the button, and it also protects the throat area from all the knifehands and adam's apple ripping tiger claws from the Kung Fu killas!!!
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 02-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post

Here is a clip of me doing double end bag work, the head movement, parrying, footwork, and overall movement are what I think would help you the most:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rVC...acy4aw&lf=plcp

Nice movement! Nice fluid, powerful punching.

... the boxing gloves also add weight. Adds a level of shoulder conditioning into the mix. Improves accuracy slightly too.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Hit it like a man and stop with the f@ggy wrist slaps.
    remind me to bitchslap you we ever meet.

Never been a fan of the DBL end bag, nor the speed bag for that matter, but had to do it when I was boxing.
    In one word: MOVE
    The DBL end bag teaches you hand/eye coordination BUT you have to move around it and evade and such.
    You are not fighting it nor are you actually moving and hitting the same way as you would in a fight BUt you are developing some good coordination and timing and footwork.
    It also breaks the monotony of heavy bag work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

uki - ray had some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    ... the boxing gloves also add weight. Adds a level of shoulder conditioning into the mix. Improves accuracy slightly too.
    I probably wouldn't go as high as 16oz; and definitely no larger than 16oz though.
    The larger the glove size the more sloppy the work.
    I'm not a fan of large gloves on the focus mitts either.

Iron_Eagle_76's video was pretty good; my only advice to him would be to work on keeping up the hand of the side he's ducking to (in case of a feint followed by a hook or kicks).

Sanjuro_ronin - I hate speed bag, but love the double end (unless it's hung too tightly). I find double end bag & shadow boxing to be the 2 most effective solo training drills to help with sparring - they have the most carry over for me.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    uki - ray had some good advice.

I probably wouldn't go as high as 16oz; and definitely no larger than 16oz though.
    The larger the glove size the more sloppy the work.
    I'm not a fan of large gloves on the focus mitts either.

Iron_Eagle_76's video was pretty good; my only advice to him would be to work on keeping up the hand of the side he's ducking to (in case of a feint followed by a hook or kicks).

Sanjuro_ronin - I hate speed bag, but love the double end (unless it's hung too tightly). I find double end bag & shadow boxing to be the 2 most effective solo training drills to help with sparring - they have the most carry over for me.
    Go advice there.
    Yeah, to me it's just a personal thing, I don't like to be hold back that much.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Go advice there.
    Yeah, to me it's just a personal thing, I don't like to be hold back that much.
    oh, that's easy - get a peanut style double end bag and hang it slightly loose.
    that way you can blast it and give it a lot of swing.
    needs to be tight enough that you can still do combos, but loose enough to have some swing.
    the double end bags i've seen in roy jones jr & manny pacquiao clips have been hung WAY too tight.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting