Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: crazy bag

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    oh, that's easy - get a peanut style double end bag and hang it slightly loose.
    that way you can blast it and give it a lot of swing.
    needs to be tight enough that you can still do combos, but loose enough to have some swing.
    the double end bags i've seen in roy jones jr & manny pacquiao clips have been hung WAY too tight.
    Hmmm, maybe that was it, they could have been too tight.
    The peanut is the double dblend bag right?
    How do you know when it's too tight?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm, maybe that was it, they could have been too tight.
    The peanut is the double dblend bag right?
    How do you know when it's too tight?
    http://store.titleboxing.com/2indoubendba.html
    The nice thing about the peanut bag is that it's a bit more substantial when you hit it.

Some of this is personal preference, but when I'm looking at it, I judge how far the bag swings out after I punch it before it swings back at me, and the speed of the swing.
    If you land a nice cross, it should swing out a bit before coming back.
    You should still be able to string combos together, so not too much slack.
    A lot of double end bags are hung so tightly that they "stick" to your punches - don't swing out at all before they're coming back.
    The size of the glove can affect the "sticking" problem too; larger gloves can "stick" more.
    Needs to have enough balance between swing & return that you can fire off a combo at a good rhythm and still hit the bag.

In the old days, heavy bags were lighter and they swung more.
    Watch some of the old Sugar Ray Robinson training highlights.
    The swinging helped fighters judge distances & hit moving targets better.
    They could also use the swing of the bag for defense.
    Everybody's on this super heavy heavybag kick these days because they think it'll make 'em hit like Marciano (who supposedly had a 300lb heavybag).
    Peanut double end bag is kind of like a throw back to this idea.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

use that thing for dodge stepping as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    use that thing for dodge stepping as well.
    i use it for all kinds of defense.
    the nice thing about hanging it with a bit of swing is that it opens up more opportunities for side stepping & creating angles.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

http://store.titleboxing.com/2indoubendba.html
    The nice thing about the peanut bag is that it's a bit more substantial when you hit it.

Some of this is personal preference, but when I'm looking at it, I judge how far the bag swings out after I punch it before it swings back at me, and the speed of the swing.
    If you land a nice cross, it should swing out a bit before coming back.
    You should still be able to string combos together, so not too much slack.
    A lot of double end bags are hung so tightly that they "stick" to your punches - don't swing out at all before they're coming back.
    The size of the glove can affect the "sticking" problem too; larger gloves can "stick" more.
    Needs to have enough balance between swing & return that you can fire off a combo at a good rhythm and still hit the bag.

In the old days, heavy bags were lighter and they swung more.
    Watch some of the old Sugar Ray Robinson training highlights.
    The swinging helped fighters judge distances & hit moving targets better.
    They could also use the swing of the bag for defense.
    Everybody's on this super heavy heavybag kick these days because they think it'll make 'em hit like Marciano (who supposedly had a 300lb heavybag).
    Peanut double end bag is kind of like a throw back to this idea.
    Marcianos was a 200lbs sandbag and he only used that one fro hooks and body shots.
    Rule of thumb is a 100lbs for those under 200lbs and the heavier ones for those over 200lbs.
    I may look into this.
    Thanks bro.

Marcianos was a 200lbs sandbag and he only used that one fro hooks and body shots.
    Rule of thumb is a 100lbs for those under 200lbs and the heavier ones for those over 200lbs.
    I may look into this.
    Thanks bro.
    There's reality and urban legend.
    They still say 300 in a bunch of boxing gyms.
    Kind of relieved that it wasn't that big and that he didn't use it all the time.
    Smaller guys tend to have much better skill than the bigger guys.
    So I'm not sure the bigger bags are all that useful.

I also think power at 185lbs is probably enough to hurt anybody.
    Marciano & Dempsey weighed in the 180s and 190s - some of their opponents were mid 200s.
    Henderson KOed Fedor and Silva - both of whom were able to go to decision against the likes of CroCop and Mark Hunt.
    Mark Hunt's first KO was against Manhoef, a guy who can make 185.
    Sorry, had another "well you gotta suck weight" convo with my coach last night and this topic's back in my head.
    I agree that guys over 6'4 have almost an unfair advantage, especially with knees.

In Baltimore we had this 6'7" former basketball player talking all this mess about how he was going to be a killer in boxing. He was a pretty lean heavy, but still a good 250, and was pretty strong in the weight room. The coaches all bought into it. My old sparring partner, who hit hard, but wasn't more than 5'9", 160lbs at the time, knocked that guy senseless. It was a smoker with an audience and the heavy's opponent was a no show, so my friend jumped in and knocked the guy out. He never came back.

We got a guy at my gym now who's 6'6", self proclaimed street fighter. He's apparently a pr!ck to work with. After last night's convo, his past history of hurting partners, and my coach bragging how the guy was undefeated in streetfights since starting muay thai; I may have to Zulu him.

There's reality and urban legend.
    They still say 300 in a bunch of boxing gyms.
    Kind of relieved that it wasn't that big and that he didn't use it all the time.
    Smaller guys tend to have much better skill than the bigger guys.
    So I'm not sure the bigger bags are all that useful.

I also think power at 185lbs is probably enough to hurt anybody.
    Marciano & Dempsey weighed in the 180s and 190s - some of their opponents were mid 200s.
    Henderson KOed Fedor and Silva - both of whom were able to go to decision against the likes of CroCop and Mark Hunt.
    Mark Hunt's first KO was against Manhoef, a guy who can make 185.
    Sorry, had another "well you gotta suck weight" convo with my coach last night and this topic's back in my head.
    I agree that guys over 6'4 have almost an unfair advantage, especially with knees.

In Baltimore we had this 6'7" former basketball player talking all this mess about how he was going to be a killer in boxing. He was a pretty lean heavy, but still a good 250, and was pretty strong in the weight room. The coaches all bought into it. My old sparring partner, who hit hard, but wasn't more than 5'9", 160lbs at the time, knocked that guy senseless. It was a smoker with an audience and the heavy's opponent was a no show, so my friend jumped in and knocked the guy out. He never came back.

We got a guy at my gym now who's 6'6", self proclaimed street fighter. He's apparently a pr!ck to work with. After last night's convo, his past history of hurting partners, and my coach bragging how the guy was undefeated in streetfights since starting muay thai; I may have to Zulu him.
    Some guys have natural heavy hands, regardless of their weight.
    But the big guys drop some serious bombs, if not by impact force buy the sheer "weight" of their punches.
    One thing you will see is smaller guys that routinely fight bigger guys not really being as intimidated and bigger guys being surprised that a "little guy" can hit so freaking hard.
    Reach advantage can be ( and usually is) more of an advantage than just weight.

Reach advantage can be ( and usually is) more of an advantage than just weight.
    There's no way to get away from reach though.
    There are guys that are 6'5 that fight at 170.
    I think the best thing to do is use what you got and try to prepare the best you can against who you're likely to face.

Thing about the big guys is that they often move slower so you can see their punches coming, and they don't react as quick on defense - so a quicker guy can load up on a shot a LOT more.

There's no way to get away from reach though.
    There are guys that are 6'5 that fight at 170.
    I think the best thing to do is use what you got and try to prepare the best you can against who you're likely to face.

Thing about the big guys is that they often move slower so you can see their punches coming, and they don't react as quick on defense - so a quicker guy can load up on a shot a LOT more.
    One hopes anyways, lol !

I would also add that reach in boxing is very difficult to get around, but in kickboxing can be somewhat nullified by having better kicks than your opponent.

For example, at 5'9" I am not a tall guy although I have pretty long arms and legs, but fighting someone who is say 6'2" is going to have me in the reach department. That being said, if he is a strong boxer but not a strong kicker, my kicks being better can nullify his boxing even though the reach is to his advantage.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

At 5-6 I am a short and stubby little ****er so I got move in and hurt them bad, quick and easy, then get a hold of them and bite their legs off !
    Maybe do a jumping kick to their ankle for good measure !

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    I would also add that reach in boxing is very difficult to get around, but in kickboxing can be somewhat nullified by having better kicks than your opponent.
    Yeah, but knees can nullify a lot of that.
    ...and that's how I got my ribs broken twice in 2009 kids...
    6'4" guy, real lean, lots of experience, with really, really powerful knees.

6'6" guy is just big and wild.

Yeah, but knees can nullify a lot of that.
    ...and that's how I got my ribs broken twice in 2009 kids...
    6'4" guy, real lean, lots of experience, with really, really powerful knees.

6'6" guy is just big and wild.
    Really bony knees too I bit.

Really bony knees too I bit.
    Yep. But we're also really good friends. His name is Sam.
    When I say "real lean", i mean I saw the guy in the range of about 195 to 220.
    His last sanction amateur fight was against a big, football player-looking guy (probably around 6'3 240) and Sam absolutely destroyed the guy.

EDIT: my coach says Sam's 6'5; I usually go with 6'4 to be conservative.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 02-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Hit it like a man and stop with the f@ggy wrist slaps.
    I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to hurt his feelings.