the idea here is to train your ma to a point where you dont freeze during a fighting situation and just revert to a punching and kicking pattern...another thing is you cant be afraid to take a hit...i remember when i was a kid my friends and i use started this little fight club inmy friends back yard, all of us had different back rounds...and i use to lose alot because i would back up alot because i was afraid to get hit, but my backing up resulted in....me getting hit, lol. but once i adjusted to it i started to win more, and started to be able react under pressure, actually using what i know...

nowadays, i spar every once and a while and i hit the bag everyday...im no pro fighter and have no ambitions to be, i dont hang out in situations where i would get into a confrontation...also im 6'3" 250 black guy..so people pretty much leave me alone..lol. but if you dont keep your tools sharp they will dull... removing forms was the best thing i ever did..HOWEVER i think you should still learn them when you begin. but like my sifu said to me, its all about what you are learning it for. if its to teach then you have to learn the breath of the style, if its to fight then you have to take from it what works for you and get rid of what doesnt.