this isnt a tma v mma thread...this is a thread about adjusting your martial art for fighting... how many of you do pad and bag work, that isnt just kickboxing? but actualy practicing the movements from your form? i practice xing yi chuan, and have so for the last 6 years..my sifu taught way different, he asked me did i want to learn xing yi to teach to fight or for health? i said to fight but i would like to learn it for health as well. so he started me off for the first two months doing nei gung, san ti and these basic xing yi exercises. then i learned the five fist, but he wouldnt let me move on to learn the next fist until i could accurately apply the one ive been working on...so it took me a while to really learn it... wasnt until i started doing heavy bag work at home actually using the techniques, pi chuan, beng chuan etc...that i started realizing how they can be applied in a real life situation.

once i learned all five fist, my sifu use to make me do alot of bag work using all the five fist but in combos like boxing, learning how to flow from one move to the next, he always told me that xing yi was relentless and the fighter didnt stop, you cant thing of what is the next move or application(he never taught me applications) you just have to react to the situation.

ok there is the back story...but the question is how many people train this way in kung fu? learning to actually use what you've been training all along for? ive totally eliminated forms from my training...i just do basics from different styles ive studied, like chain punching, and kicking from wing chun, the ten hands from hung ga, stepping movements from lung ying, and pole training from lung ying, and then i do the five fist, and some of the animals i know, then with my body all tired i do about 40 mins(with breaks) of bag and if i have a friend pad work. and some sparring.

whats your regimen? what do you train kung fu for?