Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defense against Upper Cut

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And thatis just a boxer, don't even got there about how a kali guy might do it or an MMA guy, etc.
    Don't worry too much of a Kali guy doing an uppercut, remember, we know those guys can't really translate well into empty hands? Sorry just messing with you Sanjuro .

Seriously against an uppercut by a Kali guy with a knife in his hand is more the challenging one.

Quote Originally Posted by free2flow View Post
    Don't worry too much of a Kali guy doing an uppercut, remember, we know those guys can't really translate well into empty hands? Sorry just messing with you Sanjuro .

Seriously against an uppercut by a Kali guy with a knife in his hand is more the challenging one.
    Ving Tsun knife fighting tactics translate into the tactical combat approach of the empty hands, distances and methods vary for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by free2flow View Post

I mentioned Kali guys because they tend to uppercut "up the middle", through the "elbows and arms".
    Some WC guys think their elbows and "guard" block uppercuts without understanding that some uppercuts are "design" for that kind of "defense".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Ving Tsun knife fighting tactics translate into the tactical combat approach of the empty hands, distances and methods vary for obvious reasons.
    Thanks for the info, I can see how a Wing Chun will be very good with a knife. I don't see it trained often though. IMHO this is one of those cases where I really would rather work on actual and specific techniques.

I mentioned Kali guys because they tend to uppercut "up the middle", through the "elbows and arms".
    Some WC guys think their elbows and "guard" block uppercuts without understanding that some uppercuts are "design" for that kind of "defense".
    Got you,very good point! Bladed weapons has it's own nuances .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu
    Why not have both ingrained...

Technique and Principles?

Why cant both become instinctive?

Training to defend an uppercut from a partner that is throwing them in a "WC manner" when you know they are coming will develop the skills to defend against THAT and nothing else.
    I have to give Yoshi credit here, to some extent.

At least in the system I train, techniques and principles are not such separate things, and logically shouldn't be. In applying a certain technique I'm utilizing the principles of my style, which allow for fluid changeability. Techniques are not rigid, one application, things at all separate from the principles of the system.

If a technique does not contain those important principles, then it's a bad technique.

In the system I train, our forms contain techniques that we train to become instinctive. Such as the technique I described in a previous post.

This technique can be applied in many different situations, as many different interpretations. It can be used against straight punches, uppercuts, kicks, shoot-ins, or it can be initiated from our side first. Of course small details will alter according to the situation, but the overall mechanics of the technique are the same. This is something that would be more easily demonstrable if I did a video on it...

The thing is that within the technique are contained the principles which keep us protected. So that no matter how the opponent responds, the structure of our technique will have principles in place that will allow us to stay protected and change to deal with it.

Thanks for sharing LFJ...Im glad to see there is more people who train this way...

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I have to give Yoshi credit here, to some extent.

At least in the system I train, techniques and principles are not such separate things, and logically shouldn't be. In applying a certain technique I'm utilizing the principles of my style, which allow for fluid changeability. Techniques are not rigid, one application, things at all separate from the principles of the system.

If a technique does not contain those important principles, then it's a bad technique.

In the system I train, our forms contain techniques that we train to become instinctive. Such as the technique I described in a previous post.

This technique can be applied in many different situations, as many different interpretations. It can be used against straight punches, uppercuts, kicks, shoot-ins, or it can be initiated from our side first. Of course small details will alter according to the situation, but the overall mechanics of the technique are the same. This is something that would be more easily demonstrable if I did a video on it...

The thing is that within the technique are contained the principles which keep us protected. So that no matter how the opponent responds, the structure of our technique will have principles in place that will allow us to stay protected and change to deal with it.
    OOh so your not one of those guys who believes his wu sau guard can protect him from any linear attack?

Clip of sparring a street boxer

Never specifically trained with any good MMA guys. But I have trained with street fighters, boxers, and other guys from various styles. Some harder to deal with than others depending on their skill level. Before WC I had to learn basic street fighting techniques based off boxing. Its essential for where i grew up at. Going to school fighting was the thing to do. So how to throw an upper cut or hook I knew about before I even heard of sun punch or YGKYM. ne way. You are right you need many fighting styles. So true. its a good thing i have had the privilidege of meeting people from other back grounds. Like Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Hapikido, Akido, Tae kwon Do, Hung Gar, Xing Yi, Baquazhang, Tai Chi,Street fighters, An some low level MMA guys.

I agree drill the upper cut from outside to inside and drill it with combinations. When i first learn WC started a freeflowing san shou techniques where you train against various strikes from hooks to uppercuts to right crosses to other hand techniques like hammer fist and back fist and so on. You start off slow at first to gain muscle memory and over a few months of doing you speed up. In some cases if your training partner was arrogant he would throw the punches faster at you just to hit you. So you might as well learn how to defend quicker. But the san shou is all stationary. Then your required to spar against a guy who can use anything he wants but WC. A most guys have different back grounds. My Sidai for instance train at boxing gym and did high school wrestling. Another friend of mines practice Muay Thai. My Sihing practice Karate before learning WC. My Sifu also practice Kempo in addition to other arts before training WC. I also have friends who did various other martial arts I would spar with on regular when i first learn WC. So I quickly learn how to defend against alot of stuff they would throw at me. As for slipping the uppercut...your right they are trying to slip an upper cut...but if you practice a technique long enough certain attacks will slow down when you spar. An you will notice certain shapes...lack of better term. When those shapes arise you will instantly defend against it...but this takes alot of practice!

Unless you can train VS all types of fighting systems and how they fight ( something that WC practioners are notorious for NOT doing), the ideal way is to train against the principles.
    Of course the best way to do that is to actually fight so what you need is to expose yourself to as many fighting styles as possible (testing phase) and develop the skills to deal with THEM ( development phase).
    Training to defend an uppercut from a partner that is throwing them in a "WC manner" when you know they are coming will develop the skills to defend against THAT and nothing else.
    A good boxer will drill an uppercut from the outside and inside and in combinations and as attacks and counters AND part of combos, sometimes leading with it or ending with it or throwing it somewhere inbetween.
    And he will throw it to HIT you, at the range that it does the max effect.

And thatis just a boxer, don't even got there about how a kali guy might do it or an MMA guy, etc.

So true...thats a good point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Uppercut has different varities. Boxer uppercut and or dirty boxing/mma upper cut. you guys have touched on the boxing more or less. What about the half plum dirty upper? Dont know much about the techniques of wc but you should look at the technique from all angles.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 02-17-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Technique vs Movement

Here's a pretty nice explanation of what I was talking about with technique & principles not being so much different. Only here, the terminology is different. Technique vs Movement.

But the idea of movement explained here is really what I meant by technique. You can learn one "movement", have it ingrained, and apply it in many different situations and it will work because of the inherent principles of the movement itself. Once you understand those principles that make the movement work, you can easily change it up depending on the situation and protect yourself. All the while, still doing just the same movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQlQ2w-McQ

So True...same thing with practicing a Jum Da against a uppercut...the more use it..you can also use if for other techniques as well...the more u practice, spar and experience the more the techniques become natural...An when they become natural you learn how to adapt them to any given situtation or technique thrown at you...

But it takes time and practice!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Here's a pretty nice explanation of what I was talking about with technique & principles not being so much different. Only here, the terminology is different. Technique vs Movement.

But the idea of movement explained here is really what I meant by technique. You can learn one "movement", have it ingrained, and apply it in many different situations and it will work because of the inherent principles of the movement itself. Once you understand those principles that make the movement work, you can easily change it up depending on the situation and protect yourself. All the while, still doing just the same movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQlQ2w-McQ
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"