Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Kung Fu from the Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    *Shrugs* So far I think it is giving me a better foundation than my old training, only because it fits my own aims and objectives though.

Modern Sanda is a good example, while magnificent to watch just like all kickboxing/ mma, it's hard to spot traditional footwork and patterns being used.

I simply want to compete in Sanda using traditional methods, not ones that have been cross-trained into it.
    i feel kung fu gave me a great foundation. no matter what other martial art (judo, gjj, hapkido, fma, jeet kune do, etc) i studied afterwards, my instructors were always impressed with how fast i caught on.

thing about training, westerners seem big on categorizing things. there's talk about different combat ranges - striking, kicking, trapping, clinching, grappling. when i learn kung fu, these things were never neatly separated, but integrated synergistically. for example a block could be an attack that could push/pull the opponent off-balance for a takedown/throw.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Teach them a real sport.
    I would agree, hence the games and such that they are taught in martial schools.

A team sport would be better for them developmentally.

Training a martial art solo can leave the kid adrift in a sea of thought he shouldn't be hampered with until he's at least your age! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    i feel kung fu gave me a great foundation. no matter what other martial art (judo, gjj, hapkido, fma, jeet kune do, etc) i studied afterwards, my instructors were always impressed with how fast i caught on.

thing about training, westerners seem big on categorizing things. there's talk about different combat ranges - striking, kicking, trapping, clinching, grappling. when i learn kung fu, these things were never neatly separated, but integrated synergistically. for example a block could be an attack that could push/pull the opponent off-balance for a takedown/throw.
    You should see what the Japanese do when it comes to pigeonholing every single tiny move you make. lol

ever done Karate? Judo?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You should see what the Japanese do when it comes to pigeonholing every single tiny move you make. lol

ever done Karate? Judo?
    karate, a bit. i felt like i was slumming it. lol. jk. i took Okinawan goju ryu actually. i saw a lot similarities to kung fu.

judo, yes. i know what you're saying....
    Last edited by dirtyrat; 02-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Karate is good.

TKD is good, too.

ANYTHING that gets a child out and interacting and getting exercise is very good.

You could be holding back the next Pele or Joe Montana by making them stand in a horse stance for 30 mins and remembering forms.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would agree, hence the games and such that they are taught in martial schools.

A team sport would be better for them developmentally.

Training a martial art solo can leave the kid adrift in a sea of thought he shouldn't be hampered with until he's at least your age! lol
    They both play organized soccer, so it's not like kung fu is the only activity they are doing. It's more like an interest or hobby which will hopefully fourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    They both play organized soccer, so it's not like kung fu is the only activity they are doing. It's more like an interest or hobby which will hopefully fourish.
    Sofia is turning 9 and wants to do MA.
    I started at 9 so I think that is a good age.
    I will probably put her in Judo or TKD, not sure which, and train her at home on the bag and pads.
    If I can find a MMA gym that has kids class, I will put her in that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sofia is turning 9 and wants to do MA.
    I started at 9 so I think that is a good age.
    I will probably put her in Judo or TKD, not sure which, and train her at home on the bag and pads.
    If I can find a MMA gym that has kids class, I will put her in that.
    I would go with judo first.
    It teaches them to fall safely, and that is a skill that will take her through life.
    The throws and falling will "toughen her up." and prepare her for harder banging around later.
    Throws at that age are fight enders. You drop a nine yr old on their back, and knock the wind out of them and it's over. As a parent, you would much rather have your daughter throw someone than get sued for her kicking a kid's teeth out.
    You can train her flexibility and kicks and punches at home and later on, send her to a striking or mma school.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I would go with judo first.
    It teaches them to fall safely, and that is a skill that will take her through life.
    The throws and falling will "toughen her up." and prepare her for harder banging around later.
    Throws at that age are fight enders. You drop a nine yr old on their back, and knock the wind out of them and it's over. As a parent, you would much rather have your daughter throw someone than get sued for her kicking a kid's teeth out.
    You can train her flexibility and kicks and punches at home and later on, send her to a striking or mma school.
    As a former judoka I agree
    Finding one to fit our schedule, that maybe tricky....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Dude, a bad example would be to start teaching wing chun period !!!!

Maybe i'll start it's own thread but for those who teach kids, how do you change your method? I'm talking 6 - 8 year olds.

I really think the worst example would be to attempt to teach any 6-8 year old about any kind of fighting. I once seen 2 young korean kids, about 6 years old, that were both black belts in TKD. Rediculous really. On average, kids this age are not able to learn the principal concepts of such matters. They are best left at playing silly child games. 10 years of age being the absolute earliest age to start training. I also think WC would be the best option here as it is more realistic and more in line with a childs ability to move. Even adults have difficulty learning to do some of the stuff in other gung fu systems.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    As a former judoka I agree
    Finding one to fit our schedule, that maybe tricky....
    I also agree with TT. Judo was the first MA I ever began learning, and it helped me immensely as a kid. At the young age I was introduced into it (10), I was one of those kids who was afraid of fist-fighting/kicking, but felt much more confident at throwing/wrestling. And yes, I found that judo really hardens/toughens the body and mind, and lays a great foundation for future training in other MA's. If you can find a dojo that fits your schedule, I think judo would be perfect for your daughter's first MA.

Either that, or take her to some classes and let her choose which one she'd like to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Either that, or take her to some classes and let her choose which one she'd like to start with.
    yeah? What if she chooses wu-shu, or one of those commercial Shaolin Karotty self-defense we teach five animals birthday party schools? Or one of those that you see on yuotube, with the chik in the Chinese dress with leggings and barefoot, chopsticks in her hair, doing modern dance with a fan schools? What then, huh? What then?
    No. Throw her in a Judo school and be done with it.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

id say judo too.... however once she does cross over to kungfu, she'll be able to out grapple everyone in the kungfu school

also that way if she does choose wushu dance, then she'll have judo with her forever.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Doug-could you send that to my facebook page? I love it!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.