Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could lack of sleep undermine my training?

Could lack of sleep undermine my training?

Just a query; recently I decided I wasn't able to get enough "me time" for training. Between teaching and attending normal classes and a full time job/family, i just couldn't fit any time for personal training in. So I started getting up an hour and a half earlier and going to the school to train alone. So far (1 week) I've had great results, however, I'm more physically tired throughout the day and when it is time for evening class, I think I'm giving less than 100%. Is this something that my body will eventually adapt to, or is the lack of sleep going to continue to effect me adversely? I didn't mention it, but it would be impossible to gain the extra sleep on the front end... to busy.

Anyone else doing something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post
    Just a query; recently I decided I wasn't able to get enough "me time" for training. Between teaching and attending normal classes and a full time job/family, i just couldn't fit any time for personal training in. So I started getting up an hour and a half earlier and going to the school to train alone. So far (1 week) I've had great results, however, I'm more physically tired throughout the day and when it is time for evening class, I think I'm giving less than 100%. Is this something that my body will eventually adapt to, or is the lack of sleep going to continue to effect me adversely? I didn't mention it, but it would be impossible to gain the extra sleep on the front end... to busy.

You never adapt to sleep deprivation. I have been on numerous exercises and assignments where I was getting 4 or so hours of sleep a night. Not healthy.

Try reviewing your schedule.... time management takes more than a cursory glance at your schedule. Start seeing where things can be condensed/optimized, and try to avoid "white space" on your day to day operations.

How many hours a night are you getting in? You can get by on 6 or so a night without too many negative effects.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Yes

you don't generally get faster/stronger/better during training...training breaks you down...rest rebuilds you stronger. if you don't allow time for recovery you will just end up with injuries.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yes, not getting enough sleep has lots of short term and long term problems.

If it comes to having to pick between training and getting enough sleep, skip your training and get enough sleep instead.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The more you train, either volume or intensity, the more sleep you need to recover.

For the average trainee putting in the average 60 min every other day, you'd probably need a good 8 hours a day.
    Increase the volume or intensity and you'll need more.
    You can always try adding naps if you can.
    Without enough sleep your body will not recover and adapt to the stress you imposed on it and as such, while you MAY see some improvement in the beginning, you will suffer in the long run.

Typical symptoms will be:
    Irritable moods and desire to eat more sugars ( or even a loss of appetite in some cases).
    Loss of flexibility and/ or strength, injuries ( nagging injuries), loss of motivation to train, etc.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for the responses, I feared as much. On average with the new training schedule I'm getting about 5 hours of sleep. Today (the day after I started the thread) I guess I was so tired I didn't hear my 4:00am alarm go off and I slept through my training time so in essence I guess my body answered my own question.

Not sure what my eventual answer will be because the training sessions were VERY productive and I don't want to lose that. I guess I could cut back to doing only 3 mornings a week.

The only people that do or NEED two training sessions a day are pro athletes.
    If you are gonna do two, make sure that they do not use the same "pathways".
    An example would be cardio in the morning and weight training at night.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

rest days could include application/technical training that didn't tax you. working that thought in could allow you to 'train' every day...hard physical stuff on one day and very light application/technical work the off days.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Energy levels, etc aside: Being deprived of sleep, even just for 1 night, can have a noticeable impact in terms of your ability to properly and fully ABSORB what you are learning, regardless topic or activity.

I have worked 6 nights a week for the past 10 years! I average 5 hours sleep a day most of the time, with sometimes 30 mins. - 2 hour naps right before work.

I am an expert on "sleep deprivation and training".

If you have two full days off of sleep a week, like the traditional Saturday and Sunday, train Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Expect Monday, Wednesday and Friday, to be extra sleep days if you can get it. You should be able to sleep better on the weekends that leaves deprivation only two days per week on Tuesday and Thursday.

I cannot keep this schedule myself unfortunately because I have 4 year old daughter and a 16 year old son, I must also divide my time with, as well as only one night off.

For myself, I try to train 3 days a week and get as much in as I can on those day. Some weeks it is only 2 days and I may go 10 days without a workout at times as well.

If you weight train, do either full body workouts or a two day split. Try to stretch on Monday, Wednesday, Friday if you can take an hour or so.

age is a factor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    age is a factor as well.
    Word.

In college it was 4-5 hours a night + gym 3 times a week + partying and I was pretty ok.

Now that I'm 31, not so much. I need my sleep.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

give it another 14 years my friend.

from 1988-1998 I worked at least two jobs. day job plus something at night, Dominoes delivery for a couple of years and then starting in 89 I worked as a bouncer 3-4 nights a week till 96 and then 1-2 nights a week for another year or so. I would generally be running on 3 hours or so of sleep Wed, Thur & Fri nights. from about 93 till 2009 I was training and/or teaching martial arts 4-6 days a week on top of day job and part time job. It wasn't until 98 that I finally stopped needing to work a second job.

there is no way in hell i'd be able to do that in my 40's.

anyone who has tried to make martial arts or any other dedicated training a part of their life knows a thing or two about sleep deprivation.

Can't get enough sleep?

Sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Paximus View Post

Get the sleep, or go to bed earlier, if possible.
    Close to the last 2 years, I was OCONUS and working 12-14 hours/day. 6-7 days a week and I realized sleep was/is important. IF I lose sleep for 2 days or more, it caught up with me so I learned to hit the rack as soon as I left the site.
    When you have kids plus going to school, there are alot of sleepless nights and days so trying to find ways to get sleep is imperative for overall health and wellbeing

I did have to give up training until I could find the time to practice and time to sleep!