Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes Kung fu, Kung Fu

What makes Kung fu, Kung Fu

Last weekend I had some friends over and family.
    My brother-in-law who is into MMA ( watching not training) and a freind were debating MA and asked me what is the difference between the various styles and I gave a quick and politically correct summary.
    But then the BIL asked what makes kung fu, kung fu?
    I explained some of the technical uniqueness of kung fu, comapred the forms with karate and TKD but as I was doing so I realized that is NOT what makes kung fu, kung fu.
    Many other systems have forms like kung fu, many other systems share the techniques, many others share the principles and many others share the "look and feel" of kung fu.
    So I contemplated my navel ( as I do in situations like this) and realized that, for ME, what makes kung fu, kung fu is:
    The Gungs.

And you?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The biggest difference I see isn't the technique's, it's in how they're executed. For example, Karate has a broken, almost staccato rhythm where a person strikes you, you block, then you strike - basically it's like watching two separate techniques. In Kung Fu, ideally there's no break in the flow, the strike and riposte are simultaneous - it's one technique.

To me, it's the delivery system. How to use your weapons. To use the least amount of effort to accomplish the goal. Granted i haven't studied other systems in depth, but that is what drew me to kung fu.

Kung Fu (as a fighting art, not a concept of achievement) is from China.

Really though, there are too many styles of kung fu to make any kind of universal generalization like that. what makes Japanese Martial Arts, JMA?

Integration of ranges, beauty of form, variety of weapons, integration of hard/soft, might all help distinguish KF, but there are exceptions to all of them.

Kung Fu- The TCMA fighting limb of it isn't special or any different from any other martial art except that it doesn't really include much in the way of wrestling or ground work.

But what separates it and makes Kung Fu unique?

The Kung Fu I immerse in is Shaolin in origin.
    It contains a complete system for transforming a human into a place of health and mental fitness, it allows for study of ancient and classical weapons, it includes bodywork and meditation and it has it all in one package without going elsewhere.

It is a fairly comprehensive system of personal transformation and development beyond a way of fighting etc, but certainly inclusive to the idea of defending oneself in the circumstance where violence may rear up at you.

It also includes healing, both physically and in dealing with emotional/intuitive issues that you may carry. It helps to increase mental toughness through overcoming perceived physical difficulties and getting over hills that might be perceived as insurmountable at first, but with effort and support, these things are done and the mind becomes better for it.

You can cut as much off of it as you like and only take what you want. That's up to anyone. I like to keep finding the things that were there in the sense of the origin.

It has a lot that cannot be found elsewhere in martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The biggest difference I see isn't the technique's, it's in how they're executed. For example, Karate has a broken, almost staccato rhythm where a person strikes you, you block, then you strike - basically it's like watching two separate techniques. In Kung Fu, ideally there's no break in the flow, the strike and riposte are simultaneous - it's one technique.
    actually, karate has this as well...if done right.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

There isn't a right or wrong answer on this, its really a personal thing.
    I choose the gungs because I have seen the same things in other systems that I have seen in kung fu ( technique and principle wise).

one of the biggest differences I see is the fact that Gung-Fu has many different types of ging, and many ways to develop and use it. Hard, soft, inch, whipping, etc.
    These energies take a long time to develop, and a much longer time to apply.
    For some, the end does not justify the means. For others, it is the journey.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    one of the biggest differences I see is the fact that Gung-Fu has many different types of ging, and many ways to develop and use it. Hard, soft, inch, whipping, etc.
    These energies take a long time to develop, and a much longer time to apply.
    For some, the end does not justify the means. For others, it is the journey.
    I have noticed that other systems may develop one or two types of jings but the variety we have in kung fu is uniquely ours.

Its the wushu chicks.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's all Kung Fu, even when it isn't.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    It's all Kung Fu, even when it isn't.
    yeah, and a lot isn't Kung-Fu, even when it is...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Kung Fu- The TCMA fighting limb of it isn't special or any different from any other martial art except that it doesn't really include much in the way of wrestling or ground work.

But what separates it and makes Kung Fu unique?

The Kung Fu I immerse in is Shaolin in origin.
    It contains a complete system for transforming a human into a place of health and mental fitness, it allows for study of ancient and classical weapons, it includes bodywork and meditation and it has it all in one package without going elsewhere.

It is a fairly comprehensive system of personal transformation and development beyond a way of fighting etc, but certainly inclusive to the idea of defending oneself in the circumstance where violence may rear up at you.

It also includes healing, both physically and in dealing with emotional/intuitive issues that you may carry. It helps to increase mental toughness through overcoming perceived physical difficulties and getting over hills that might be perceived as insurmountable at first, but with effort and support, these things are done and the mind becomes better for it.

You can cut as much off of it as you like and only take what you want. That's up to anyone. I like to keep finding the things that were there in the sense of the origin.

It has a lot that cannot be found elsewhere in martial arts.

Shuai Jiao predates all Kung fu styles to the point where every system can claim chin na and throwing contained in its forms.

Not everyone gravitates toward the Shuai jiao aspects but Shuai jiao as an art predates Kung fu styles. It could be argued that wrestling is the most natural human way of fighting. The technical skill involved is bill until that big brute, way back when, wrestled against an equally big brute or bigger. Then he was like, "how does big brute A beat big brute B?".

And then he got his abucis out and burned incense to the gods and ancestors to find clues.

For me Kung fu is a complete system of physical, an maybe mental, development. There is nei gong(soft) and wai gong(hard) aspects which blend and help each other.

Soft aspects: Nei gong- joint exercises to make nimble the body and mind with it. I include qi gong in this. Chi sau, push hands, two man form.
    Hard aspects: Wai gong- lifting weights, sparring(hard, medium power), etc. The nei gong exercises may be warm up, cool down, joint mobility, etc. but they are systematic working out each joint and muscle and he body as a whole.

It's much easier to focus on the yin(soft) aspects because they are more gentle on the body and you don't get your darn fingers jammed.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 02-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Kung Fu

Often overlooked is the health benefits of Kung Fu.

For years the medical profession has studied Tai Chi and understands the benefits of exercising for health, especially for the older folks and disabled people.

Kung Fu for health is excellent.

As far as self defense goes Traditional Chinese Kung Fu is by far ( in my opinion )the best however all Martail Arts are very good at self-defense.

Wu Shu is outstanding, it is very physically demanding, Wu Shu performers are in excellent physcial condition.

On the flip side is MMA, these fighters are also in excellent physical condition.

However Tai Chi / Kung Fu for health is an exculsive in Martail Arts.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com