Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on running technique

Interesting article on running technique

Found this little text about the toe striking method of running employed by the Tarahumara tribe of northwestern Mexico. These sick ******* are supposedly able to run extremely long distances barefooted and, most importantly, fast as hell.

link: http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/ru...jury-free.html

This article could on running fast and injury could have been about divulging some the secrets of the more well-known road runners or marathoners but I read a fascinating article some time ago about an incredible tribe in Mexico that would probably fly by the more "famous" runners. And they would probably do so without ever having to worry about getting injured!

Meet the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. One of the few tribes in the world that live well into their hundreds. Another amazing feature of this tribe is that they are well known to be incredible distance runners. In fact, they are able to run more than 100 miles at a time, even in the 60s! In the 1993 Leadville ultramarathon, the winner was a 55 year old man from the Tarahumara tribe.

What’s even more amazing is that they don’t even wear shoes. They simply run in sandals that are attached to the feet by a few simple pieces of leather. And the best part – the runners in this tribe are almost all injury free! So what’s their secret? How can they run so long, in such heat, while only wearing sandals and being?

To find out more, I'm going to share 6 secrets of the Tarahumara running legends. Here we go.

Get Rid of the Overprotective Shoes

According to Gerard Hartmann, Ph.D, an exercise physiologist who works with the world’s greatest marathoners and is a consultant to Nike, most running injuries are a result of too much foam-injected pampering in today’s shoes. Running shoes have become so elaborately over cushioned and motion controlling that they cause the foot muscles to atrophy while shortening and stiffening our foot’s tendons. This is similar to core muscle atrophying that occurs with weightlifters that consistently employ waist belts.

The key is to choose shoes that are neutral, low-heeled, and comfortable. They should ideally allow your foot to do what it’s supposed to do. In fact, the optimal running condition is barefoot on grass. When your foot is allowed to move through its natural mechanics its intrinsic muscles will become stronger which will help pull the foot’s arches up into their optimal position. Barefoot training (or free running shoes) also improves proprioceptive (balance and spatial awareness) outcomes.

Land on the Balls of Your Feet

Contrary to traditional heel-to-toe running, the Tarahumara are well known for their forefoot striking tendencies. Many elite running coaches are now supporting the view that poor running form and landing mechanics are significant causes of chronic running injuries.

When you land on the heel of your foot you are in essence applying the brakes - slowing down your running stride - and transmitting greater amounts of force through your body’s passive structures (ie. bones, cartilage). After running this way for hundreds or thousands of miles, it can become quite damaging to your body. Think about – if you were to jump from a high elevation and land on your heels your body’s bones would be crushed by the force. However, if you’re like most human beings, you would logically land on the balls of your feet to absorb the shock! The same thing occurs with running.

The forefoot strike of the Tarahumara allows the leg act like a piston-like shock absorber. When you land on the balls of your feet, your leg is never really fully stretched. Therefore, the ground reaction forces are allowed to be absorbed by the active muscles (especially those in the calves).

If you decide to give this running technique a go, there a few things to keep in mind. First, keep your hips dead under your shoulders and dead above your feet to ensure proper form. Second, relax your leg muscles and engage your core so that the momentum is coming not from your quads but rather from your core muscles and glutes. Third, anticipate soreness in your calves after your first few runs. Because you’ll be landing on the balls of your feet, your calves will be eccentrically loaded (contracting while lengthening) during each foot strike. This is what causes muscle soreness – similar to the “negative” when lifting weights. Be sure to stretch them out after each run and to incorporate this forefoot striking technique as much or as little as you see fit during your runs.

Build Into Your Runs

The Tarahumara are not known to explode out of the starting gates but they are most often looking behind them as they cross the finish line. Their strategy is to start running with short, easy strides, progressively adding intensity as their muscles warm up. Makes sense! Remember, it isn’t where you start but where you finish that matters so ease into your runs and your body will switch to autopilot when it’s ready.

Recruit Your Abs

The core and abdominal muscles are key in allowing maximum energy transfer between upper and lower body. Therefore, let your core muscles propel you. Relax your legs while running; let them feel as if they’re hanging loose and spinning from pivot points in your hips. You should sense tension in your glutes, rather than your quads or hamstrings.

Stay Level – Don’t Bounce

As with any movement that requires horizontal motion, the more time you spend in the air the slower you go. Nowhere is this more applicable than in running. The Tarahumara are notorious for virtually eliminating up and down vertical motion. They run smooth and therefore don’t waste as much energy as other inefficient runners. Try running while balancing something on your head – a great test to see how much vertical motion you actually create.

Kick Your Butt

Ever notice how sprinters, in full stride, whip their heels up towards the butt? They do that for a reason. It’s actually a very effective way for runners to cycle their legs around for the next stride. It uses centrifugal force about the hips to propel you forward instead of drawing down your energy.

So there you go. 6 strategies that the legendary Tarahumara runners have handed down to us. Use them, practice them, and eventually they will become easier to incorporate into your running stride. As with anything new, incorporate them into your running workouts , give it some time and then watch the differences they make.
    So, I'd like to hear the input of my forum colleagues on this one. I started to instinctively push myself forward with my toes while running when I became dissatisfied with my speed.

The article claim that the Tarahumara don't get injured from running with this technique; I've not experienced any pain or discomfort from running - however, I also run on soft sand, not asphalt, so I can't really say if the terrain I exercise on removes the potential impact that my joints would suffer as result of the "toe striking" technique.

Thoughts?

People that spend their timing running are good runners.
    That these guys that spend their time running long distance are great long distance runners means just that.
    Look at the Kenyans and their barefoot running.
    Of course they start out running like that from the moment they can run.
    Of course many of the things that article mentions have been well know to SPRINTERS for a long time but eh, short distance runners never get the props, other than at the Olympics of course.
    That this tribe supposedly lives into their hundreds has NOTHING to do with their distance running by the way, not even sure why the writer brought it up.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That article is typical of the new barefoot running craze. Running that far is great if you're a runner or like to run. But if you don't like to run....

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    That article is typical of the new barefoot running craze. Running that far is great if you're a runner or like to run. But if you don't like to run....
    I remember reading somewhere that we are NOT designed for long distance running anyway, more for the short burst of speed type of thing.

Check out this technique called "100 up".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/ma...pagewanted=all

I've been working with forefoot strike running for about 6 months. Aside from the excruciating calf cramps the first month or so I have never felt better about doing road work.

I love getting on the treadmill next to people who are doing the heavy scissor leg heel strike strides shaking the treadmill like crazy, thump thump thump thump, and my strides barely make a sound.

Your knees will thank you.

You don't need any fancy shoes like Vibrams, I wear either Feiyues or my New Balance's and they feel pretty much the same since even running shoes don't have much sole at the fore.

I wonder how this could effect TCMA with their preference for "heel first" stepping....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that we are NOT designed for long distance running anyway, more for the short burst of speed type of thing.
    Well I don't think we're designed for long distance fast running, but as far as endurance athletes, humans are pretty legit. Was watching a documentary on evolution of humans, as well as a reality game show of people who were supposed to live like "cavemen", and they were both pretty clear that humans hunted by injuring their prey and tracking it long distances until it tired out so they could finish it off. In the reality show, they

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persist...uman_evolution
    http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html
    http://seedmagazine.com/content/prin...man_revisited/

Just to be fair, here's Mark Sisson's rebuttal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-h...#axzz1lpMJhAHb
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I wonder how this could effect TCMA with their preference for "heel first" stepping....
    What's that from? Not being a smart ass this time; I've never even heard of that.

Actually, I don't really run that much anyways.

I do a lot of high intensity interval chain punching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQyiEWdlNQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Well I don't think we're designed for long distance fast running, but as far as endurance athletes, humans are pretty legit. Was watching a documentary on evolution of humans, as well as a reality game show of people who were supposed to live like "cavemen", and they were both pretty clear that humans hunted by injuring their prey and tracking it long distances until it tired out so they could finish it off. In the reality show, they

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persist...uman_evolution
    http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html
    http://seedmagazine.com/content/prin...man_revisited/

Just to be fair, here's Mark Sisson's rebuttal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-h...#axzz1lpMJhAHb
    If I recall something to do with how we are one of the few mammals that sweat which allows us to be able to run for long distances without stopping unlike other animals.

That primal lifestyle stuff is some of the worst kind of pseudoscience. I mean, a lot of what they encourage is good common sense diet stuff but the lengths they go to justify it is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    That primal lifestyle stuff is some of the worst kind of pseudoscience. I mean, a lot of what they encourage is good common sense diet stuff but the lengths they go to justify it is ridiculous.
    Not sure if what you're referring to includes the Paleo diet (a low carb diet built around the diet of ancient humans). I'm not a fan of Paleo myself. I know I'm a big fatty, but there's a certain level of self-denial when it comes to dieting that I'm really not willing to do anymore. I was a lot better at sticking to hugely restrictive diets when I was younger. This may just be me accepting my condition, but I would rather add healthy stuff to my diet and focus on eating more of that stuff, than cut out everything I like to eat. I can try to go out to eat less, I can stay away from alcohol, sweets, and some "bad" foods, but I'm not willing to give up rice, grains, cheese, or potatoes.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Not sure if what you're referring to includes the Paleo diet (a low carb diet built around the diet of ancient humans). I'm not a fan of Paleo myself. I know I'm a big fatty, but there's a certain level of self-denial when it comes to dieting that I'm really not willing to do anymore. I was a lot better at sticking to hugely restrictive diets when I was younger. This may just be me accepting my condition, but I would rather add healthy stuff to my diet and focus on eating more of that stuff, than cut out everything I like to eat. I can try to go out to eat less, I can stay away from alcohol, sweets, and some "bad" foods, but I'm not willing to give up rice, grains, cheese, or potatoes.
    I was on the paleo diet for about a month before calling it quits. The whole month I was craving bread, grain, pizza. I love pizza and couldn't help turning my head whenever I drove past a pizza place. I go so sick of eating meat. It is a good way to lose weight though but I'm not sure if it's healthy to cut a whole food groups out. Now I just try to cut back on carbs and eat a lot of vegetables. Some might say that my body was recovering from the "addiction" to white flower but I don't think so. My body was mourning the loss of quick energy food.

My cousin used to say that we were "addicted" to the fats in meat which is why we craved it. Now I think we crave meat because we need it.

I had 4 amazing slices of pepperoni pIzzaguire yesterday and probably could've
    finished the rest of the pie. It was great.

Actually, I read quite the opposite. In fact, our persistance and ability to run long distances gave us an edge over other, less "in it for the long haul" animals.

I can run a solid 14 miles without stopping. No harm to my body whatsoever. I just make sure I rest for a day or so after. And I have flat feet!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I've been doing the barefoot running thing for several months now. I'm still in the early stages so my mileage is low but already there are several things I like about it: the adjusted stride just feels smoother & more natural, my calves have always been chronically weak & they are getting stronger & with lower impact on my knees I can run more often. Also I find definite carry-over into my martial arts training (mostly wado ryu karate these days). Specifically, barefoot running reinforces the need to keep my weight on the balls of my feet, to keep my feet under my hips & to use light, quick footwork. I'm definitely a convert & since I switched to barefoot I enjoy running more than ever.

One last thing: there's lots more to good barefoot running technique than simply changing from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Pushing off with the toes is not recommended. In fact, the experts recommend that you pick your hells up quickly in back. There's lots of detailed information on the web, the Barefoot Runner's Society (barefootrunners.org) is a good place to start.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea. POSE

http://posetech.com/

everybody has pretty much said it all. just my .02 is that for me, a bigger guy verging on bigfatfattie with a hip issue ( who ran cross country in HS and continued long distance running till a broken leg [work injury] in '98 ) the learning of POSE technique and doing sprint workouts just sort of makes sense because i think that there is no dispute that impact is bad and if you land heel first there IS impact. some individuals may not be bothered by that and some other individuals may be too youthful to understand the long term impact simply because they haven't experienced it yet.

adapting to the pose technique allowed me to run again which was awesome. i had sorta forgotten that i was a 'runner'.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by monkey mind View Post
    One last thing: there's lots more to good barefoot running technique than simply changing from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Pushing off with the toes is not recommended. In fact, the experts recommend that you pick your hells up quickly in back..
    The "kick".