Thread: YGKYM techniques

YGKYM techniques

Sorry if there is already a thread on this I’ve looked and couldn’t find it.

My sifu always tells the class to switch off to our legs while in YGKYM training SNT or drills. I find this really hard, and am always aware of the dull ache of my muscles. I was wondering if any of you have any advice or techniques you use to switch off to your legs or at least not be as aware of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyposphere View Post

My sifu always tells the class to switch off to our legs while in YGKYM training SNT or drills. I find this really hard, and am always aware of the dull ache of my muscles. I was wondering if any of you have any advice or techniques you use to switch off to your legs or at least not be as aware of them?
    There are so many ways to approach this, but I will say two things.

1. If your muscles are aching, they will gain strength with time and stop. Problem solved.
    2. I personally do not shut off my legs because they complete my 'spring' that is expressed through my elbow and therefore my fist.

Enjoy your training and try not to take anything said here too seriously. There are diamonds in the rough, however.

CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Not really sure what you are asking here. Can you be a bit more descriptive? While you are doing the Sil Lim form you are holding YGKYM. And then you shift to your legs? Or switch off to your legs? Since you are already standing on your legs, what is it exactly that you are instructed to do?
    Jackie Lee

I think "switch off your legs" is a highfalutin way of saying " try to ignore the pain".

As you get stronger, IMO you should not "switch off" but try to be more aware of what is going on.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Not really sure what you are asking here. Can you be a bit more descriptive? While you are doing the Sil Lim form you are holding YGKYM. And then you shift to your legs? Or switch off to your legs? Since you are already standing on your legs, what is it exactly that you are instructed to do?
    Sorry it was a bit of a wordy way to describe what I meant. I mean techniques to try and ignore the aching in my legs.

Talking

You never switch off your legs if you do you will collapse You have to learn to feel your YJKYM while in your SNT in the end it becomes a compressed versatile stance which is able to change to a Side facing fighting stance, that is able to withstand the pressure your likely to face in actual combat . If uncomfortable revise your measurements in how you get into the the Stance. It should be no wider than your Shoulders also remember Patience is the Key Hope this helps you along your journey

Sorry it was a bit of a wordy way to describe what I meant. I mean techniques to try and ignore the aching in my legs.
    Just like any other exercises, there is a difference between good pain and bad pain. You want to strengthen your legs and not to damage them.

Your legs should be kept alive and agile. As well as like a high tensile steel spring as Couch said.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

OOOPS, sorry about that. I have never felt discomfort while in the YGKYM. But then I have always had very strong legs. One good exercise is to move up and down in the stance. Like someone else said, the foot placement should not be wider than the shoulders. When standing straight up with the feet spread normal, I will then turn my toes outward as far as the foot will turn, then go up on the toes and turn the heels out until the foot is at a 45 degree angle. That is about right for me. If you start with the feet together, then start by turning the heels out, then the toes, and then the heels again. While standing there with the feet at shoulder width, just start sinking by bending the knees forward, keeping your butt over your heels and the back sort of straight. Go down until the knees sort of come together, then back up again. Do it real slow and you will get a really good workout from that. It will not take long until you can hold the stance with comfort. You can sort of exagerate your movements to get the most out of your exercises, and later on it will benefit you well.
    Another good exercise is to move through all the foot movements while in YGKYM. It will loosen the legs and help strengthen them.
    Jackie Lee

Ne Thing that gives you trouble practice it more

Well No, there is not a quick fix...But with practice you can naturally rectify that situtation...

Do the following...

1.Strecth before and after

2. At home on your own start practicing holding the YGKYM for longer durations

3.Also Do Chi gung that exercises the legs before and afterwards....

With step two You start off with one minute of holding the stance then each week progess to an additional minute. When you get to holding YGKYM for ten minutes or even twenty minutes your muscles will relax automatically.

The Key is to relax. While your practicing step two meditate. Tell your body their is no pain. Tell your muscles to loosen up. Tell the pain to dissipate. tell your body to relax. Meditate on these three things. Muslcles Lossen, Body Relax, Pain dissipate. Over time you will feel energy from practicing YGKYM and it wont hurt as much....

Another thing to do is practice YGKYM on bricks. This is a basic that will strengthn your legs. I suggest practicing it this way when you can hold YGKYM for five minutes comfortably.

Once your body learns to relax you wont need any other secret...

The secret is practice....
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Thanks for the advice and tips guys, definitely going to try some of these when I practice. I’ll keep you posted on how it comes along

This may not apply to you, but I see a fair proportion of beginner guys try to really exaggerate the stance, make it really wide so they feel they are working harder, etc. It's meant to be a stable stance from which you should be able to move easily and quickly, not some sort of trial by ordeal.

Nothing wrong with exercises to increase your endurance, but they are the means to a strong stance, not the end in itself.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!