Thread: Ufc 144

Ufc 144

I'm really looking forward to this event. The card seems stacked, top to bottom. Looking at the card there is at least ten fights I want to see.

Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso
    Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
    Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
    Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon (really excited about this one)
    Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
    Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields (this is another must see for me)
    Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo (would be very surprised if someone doesn't get ko'ed)
    Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader (another awesome fight)

Oh yeah, and not to mention the title between Edgar and Henderson which is going to be a good fight too. I wasn't a big fan of Edgar when he first started but he has grown on me. His fights tend to have some good action and I think he carries himself well.
    "Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself" -lkfmdc

oh and Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski is another interesting fight.
    "Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself" -lkfmdc

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Doesnt look to bad. They've had worse cards. The shields fight should be pretty good.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon (really excited about this one)

Me too. I've always liked Lauzon ever since he beat Pulver.

Anthony Pettis is actually on my Top 10 Favs list. He sealed that status in his last WEC match. Un-fukcing-believable!!!

Pettis is fun to watch, and Lauzon is growing into a beast, his jits skills are ridiculous. This is one of the best fights on the card IMO.

He sure took the back in blazing fashion last time out against Guillard. I was rooting for Lauzon(J-Lo being a horrible handle) against Sotiropoulos, but it just wasn't his night. Which was unfortunate because his beatdown of Gabe "I can't cut any more" Ruediger was impressive. As much of a tool as he is Ruediger isn't that bad a fighter. He just destroyed him. Interesting that he's standing out now and not two years ago.

Another cat I like and knew would be a great fighter when I first saw him battle was Martin Kampmann. Kid has a slick arm triangle for a Danish striker. You would think he would be more cro-cop/Overeem but he's not. He's really smooth on the mat.
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Martin Kampman is IMO one of the most underrated fighters in MMA. I thought he was robbed in the Jake Shields fight, I seriously felt he won the fight.

I agree. He is mos def a lot better than his fan base would suggest.

The Japanese judges had aggressiveness as a criteria for scoring. Anyone else think that Franky Edgar would have won and Jake Shields would have lost if UFC 144 had happened in the United States?

Sexy Yama scored a few great takedowns on Shields and stuffed almost 12 of his takedown attempts. Franky Edgar looked beat up but he took down Henderson so many times. He even out struck Henderson. It's also interesting to note that any fight that went to te judges was always a unanimous decision. No split decisions.

If Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz had fought in Japan, with Carlos fighting the way he did, Nick would have won.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 02-26-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Thats interesting, I thought Edgar and Akiyama won their fight. I hope the UFC doesn't cut Akiyama, he is one of my fav fighters and he looked like a beast at 170.

Naw, that fight turned on Akiyama real fast. I understand why it went the way it went.

How bout Pettis tho. Every time I see him I like him more and more.

Henderson goes to too many decisions.

I must say tho, as much as I like Edgar, Henderson is a better fighter IMO. These WEC kids are cleaning house. Can't wait too see what happens with the 125's.

So does Pettis get a crack at Henderson now? I haven't been paying attention? I don't wanna see anymore 155 repeat matches. No more Edgar Maynard and please no Henderson Edgar rematches in the near future.

Am I the only person here who thinks Ryan Bader is a very boring fighter? I'm a wrestler(at least in part) and I'm still bored by his game. His wrestling matches were awesome. MMA, not so much. IMO this guy is not a contender. I think the fact that he even has a shot at the belt shows just how UN-stacked that division really is.

Yeah, I think he is kinda overrated. He has explosive takedowns and power hands, but if isn't ko'ing someone it becomes a slow boring match

Tim Boetsch fight was brilliant!

Yeah, nice come back. I was impressed with bosch the first time I saw him. I was expecting a big wrestler with sloppy but heavy hands, but he's actually quite correct with his hands. I mos def judged that book by it's cover and was shown otherwise.

Baders lay n pray is soooo freakin boring.