Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun With MMA Gloves?

Wing Chun With MMA Gloves?

Can you utilize your WC effectively with MMA gloves on?

Can you still Pak Da, Tan Da, Jum Da, and Lop Da With MMA Gloves on?

what about Bong Sau, Bil Sau, Gan Sau, Gum Sau, Lan Sau...Can you apply these techniques with gloves on?

Can you apply WC principles with the gloves on...If not Which ones do the gloves Prohibit?
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 02-22-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    shouldn't make a difference-most of your touching is bridge/forearm/wrist, not so much hand.
    Gloves is just an excuse.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Yes to all questions.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Doesn't affect anything really.

MMA gloves are great.

You can apply all WC techniques.

However, I don't use wraps underneath as have found it hampers wrist mobility a bit too much.

Dave

Have you ever even tried wearing those during sparring?

Its a cop out for not going all out once in a while to pressure test your skills.

Just put on a helmet, body shield and some gloves and go test your **** skills instead of just playing around and think you can actually fight.

Yes.

Its a cop out for not going all out once in a while to pressure test your skills.
    MMA gloves are designed for sparring and fighting where you add clinch work, takedowns and groundfighting. If you don't do that occasionally, you're not really in a position to describe the OP or anyone else's methods as a cop out.

Just put on a helmet, body shield and some gloves and go test your **** skills instead of just playing around and think you can actually fight.
    You can spar with big gloves, small gloves, hands only, hands and feet, with or without grappling and groundfighting, with or without full or any contact, etc. etc. each of which has a different set of most suitable equipment.

It's only on this forum where each poster is required to choose a single exclusive sparring method and defend it against all naysayers until their head explodes.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post

Everyone can fight the question is effectively or not.

I would think putting on gear was the logical prequel to pressure testing and a discussion on the merits of a particular style of glove a good topic.

For instance, I've "pressure tested" with helmet (full face) and chest protector only but found that my hands would get cut up on the helmet, hence my enthusiasm for MMA gloves.

Dave

Right Right...

With No gloves against an helmet...you need to use palm strikes exclusively in my opinion...

But i perfer the face shield helmets...because they allow for face strikes with out having to worry about busting your partners nose...

I dont have a vest yet....Looking forward to get one of those for kicks to the body...But WC in reality doesnt kick above the waist...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Dave View Post
    Everyone can fight the question is effectively or not.

I would think putting on gear was the logical prequel to pressure testing and a discussion on the merits of a particular style of glove a good topic.

For instance, I've "pressure tested" with helmet (full face) and chest protector only but found that my hands would get cut up on the helmet, hence my enthusiasm for MMA gloves.

Dave
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I don't like the space in-between the fingers for tan but don't mind them for the paks etc. you may lose a little bit of sensitivity with the gloves over the back of the hands but otherwise its just a lame excuse that wc doesn't work with the gloves.

You can do all of the above. Slight restriction to huen sau but you don't apply huen sau like you train it in the form anyway (not so exagerrated).

The only thing is that the edges of the velcro tabbing around the wrists might cause light lacerations to the face. No big deal really.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Yes.

MMA gloves are designed for sparring and fighting where you add clinch work, takedowns and groundfighting. If you don't do that occasionally, you're not really in a position to describe the OP or anyone else's methods as a cop out.

You can spar with big gloves, small gloves, hands only, hands and feet, with or without grappling and groundfighting, with or without full or any contact, etc. etc. each of which has a different set of most suitable equipment.

It's only on this forum where each poster is required to choose a single exclusive sparring method and defend it against all naysayers until their head explodes.
    funny we agree you should use gloves to pressure test, so why exactly are you arguing with me ?.

Im saying that when people say you cant use WC with gloves on they havent really tried it and are using the gloves as a cop out not to pressure test. well thats what I meant atleast.

funny we agree you should use gloves to pressure test, so why exactly are you arguing with me ?.

Im saying that when people say you cant use WC with gloves on they havent really tried it and are using the gloves as a cop out not to pressure test. well thats what I meant atleast.
    Aaah, you agree? You should maybe have posted a bit clearer

I know english isnt my primary language, but I thought the bolded part was showed what I meant. will try and make it even clearer in the future

Thanks for your post...I feel the same way...

Everyone has pretty much the same thoughts...

Techniques need to be modified and you have to adapt by the structure of the gloves. But yet and still the techniques are done the same...

Like in Karate.

There are branches that use open hand strikes and open hand defense...

But there are also branches that rarely open the hand an use closed fist....

Practicing the kata's closed handed and training the techniques from them closed handed and then going into sparring with the utilization of close handed techniques only will prepare you for boxing gloves...

Has any one done this with WC?