Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Questions 4 - Chain Punching

Alan Orr Questions 4 - Chain Punching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZnIVhighInU

Filmed a load of clips this week.

This one is on chain punching.

best Alan

Very well put together video and I agree with your POV. Hopefully this video will not start another pointless argument about how "it's not wing chun".
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

great clip and commentary, only thing I'd add (which you kind of covered but addressed as a weakness for beginers) is that if the opportunity is there to hit then the ability to strikie again quickly allows you to take it. If the line is open there's no need to look for another one, you simply keep hitting until the opponent does something to make you change ie throws something back, puts something in the way etc.
    One of the biggest downers I have on so called wing chun sparring / fighting clips is when you see people "chain punching" way out of range and at all costs with no attention to what the opponent is doing
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

"Chaining" strikes (punches or otherwise) is simply linking them together in a fluid series of strikes.
    The issue I see a lot is that they do NOT have enough impact force to compromise the opponents structure ( defense and ability to counter) or they are thrown too far out or they are not linked together with the footwork.
    Great clip Alan.
    The crucial element of any chine striking is, IMO, the first and/or second strike, if they are NOT powerful enough to cause the opponent to "cover up" or are not powerful enough to keep the opponent from countering then the puncher is left open to counters, especially hooks as Alan showed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZnIVhighInU

Filmed a load of clips this week.

This one is on chain punching.

best Alan
    very good example of linking defense to bring in offense

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    If the line is open there's no need to look for another one, you simply keep hitting until the opponent does something to make you change ie throws something back, puts something in the way etc.
    One of the biggest downers I have on so called wing chun sparring / fighting clips is when you see people "chain punching" way out of range and at all costs with no attention to what the opponent is doing
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The crucial element of any chine striking is, IMO, the first and/or second strike, if they are NOT powerful enough to cause the opponent to "cover up" or are not powerful enough to keep the opponent from countering then the puncher is left open to counters, especially hooks as Alan showed.
    Depends on your angle!
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 02-23-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    It depends on your angle!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    It depends on your angle!
    No, not really because unless you hit him hard enough he will adjust to whatever angle you happen to be at.
    Angleing out and hitting from the blind side is great of course, but unless your strikes do enough, you opponent will have the very nasty and irritating habit of hitting you back ( or countering you in some other method).
    IMO, nothing is more crucial than compromising the opponents structure ie: his ability to counter what you are doing.

great video alan

Think the greatest difference in chain punching - at least as I was brought up - was in the tactical application.

As a new rookie we were taught to just go at it and overwhelm the opponent with relentless strikes and kicks. does that work against a good fighter, nope but then as a rookie your more or less ****ed in that situation anyway and your best bet will be in using a really agressive strategy and pretty much hope for the best. it will however teach you to quickly end fights against most "normal" opponents.

Later as you progress you learn to apply other strategems and concepts and chain punching takes more of a backseat, or at the very least change nature so its not so much a matter of trading punches, like you showed in your demo.

Blog Entries
    No, not really because unless you hit him hard enough he will adjust to whatever angle you happen to be at.
    Agree, however getting an angle allows you more time to be able to counter attack proactively against his hook punch, because he would have to square back up to be able to reach you with his hook punch, thus travelling atleast twice the distance which takes more time, not to mention he has to square back up to even find you. This allows you to either intercept his attack or change your angle again. In essence he is always one step behind on timing (he is always playing catch up)

Punching power is a whole different topic, without strong punching power, you're gambling/taking risk anyway.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 02-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.

These two guys are right on the money. I perfer chain punching after I got an intial opening. If I land a strike then i will turn it into chain punching an overwhelm you. I like to have control of the opponents center before I chain punch. i feel its safer and you can advoid an opponent timing your chainpunching if you are bridging with his face with each and every hit. although I utilize chain punching to time my opponent from the outside or create entries to hit him. Not so much bridging the gap. But once the gap is bridge I will utilize it keep him off balance. But as I chain punch I will slip other techniques in an chain them together like using your horse to generate power with the waist an utilizing Toh Ma, Biu Ma and Cho Ma to add force to the strikes!!!

chain punching down the floor at my opponent is fruitless. why Chain punch in the air. I rather do so when i have a connection and I can actually hit something. The only time I see raining chain punch against someone is a person who isnt moving alot. Then you can chain punch and kick simultaneously to hit him low and high or make him cover. Once you have him covering your can manipulate his structure and hit him anywhere else vunerable.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    great clip and commentary, only thing I'd add (which you kind of covered but addressed as a weakness for beginers) is that if the opportunity is there to hit then the ability to strikie again quickly allows you to take it. If the line is open there's no need to look for another one, you simply keep hitting until the opponent does something to make you change ie throws something back, puts something in the way etc.
    "Chaining" strikes (punches or otherwise) is simply linking them together in a fluid series of strikes.
    The issue I see a lot is that they do NOT have enough impact force to compromise the opponents structure ( defense and ability to counter) or they are thrown too far out or they are not linked together with the footwork.
    Great clip Alan.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Nice video, but it's not Wing Chun.

Just kidding. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Agree, however getting an angle allows you more time to be able to counter attack proactively against his hook punch, because he would have to square back up to be able to reach you with his hook punch, thus travelling atleast twice the distance which takes more time, not to mention he has to square back up to even find you. This allows you to either intercept his attack or change your angle again. In essence he is always one step behind on timing (he is always playing catch up)

Punching power is a whole different topic, without strong punching power, you're gambling/taking risk anyway.
    You may be missing my point Nav, if your strike doesn't compromise his structure your angle won't mean much.
    It seems you are assuming he can't make adjustments, which we know that is NOT the case UNLESS he is "too busy" with something else, that something being having to deal with the force of the impact of the initial strike(s).
    How many times have we seen a boxer KO'd in the middle of his combos?
    Enough to realize that the impact of our strikes MUST compromise the opponent or else.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Its not just striking, its taking advantage of momentum behind strikes from both opponents....a skill we work on.
    Explain please.

Blog Entries
    You may be missing my point Nav, if your strike doesn't compromise his structure your angle won't mean much.
    It seems you are assuming he can't make adjustments, which we know that is NOT the case UNLESS he is "too busy" with something else, that something being having to deal with the force of the impact of the initial strike(s).
    How many times have we seen a boxer KO'd in the middle of his combos?
    Enough to realize that the impact of our strikes MUST compromise the opponent or else.
    Hey Bro!
    Hitting is only one way of comprising the opponent's structure. a very effective way, but still only one method.

All I am saying is if the opponent adjust, we also adjust our angle accordingly to deal with his adjustment. Fighting is alive always changing from moment to moment, So my position is not fixed, if the opponent adjust his angle to square up to me I adjust as well to keep a positional advantage, being on an angle allows you to read his intent early enough to stay just ahead of him in regards to timing and gaining an advantageous position. This forces the oponent to take the long route, while I take the short root, therefore I am more economical in my movements, moving less but arriving first. One thing I should mention is that this is all going on while I am hitting him multiple times from all different angles as his lines are opening.

There are lots of tank abbott types out there who can take a good punch. Without angular positioning and timing, even if we have amazing power we will still end up trading with them. In my opinion Boxers are some of the hardest punchers out there, because that's there main area of focus. How many times in a boxing match have you seen boxers exchange punches with little effect on both combatants, Unless it's one in a million like a young Mike Tyson.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 02-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.