Thread: Flexibility and stretching

**Little*Dragon** Guest

Flexibility and stretching

I am interested in getting back into Martial Arts but have lost a lot of my flexibility. Can someone recommend a good book on stretching. I find it really difficult to maintain a horse stance for very long. :o

Little Dragon

prana Guest
    y u need 2 stretch 2 sit in horse stance

honorisc Guest

If you ever could do a horse-riding stance longer than now...

...Then merely do a horse-riding stance to be able to stand in one longer.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Brian_CA Guest
    If you can find it try Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's book. Most the info is good. However avoid doing any of the assisted stretching. However, if you can afford the time and money, do yoga in addition to your MA training.

Brian
    San Francisco, Ca

shinji Guest
    ITA about the yoga.

I have been doing yoga for a couple of months now and it has done more for me in that time than 2 years of regular stretch. I do ashtanga yoga which is tough as hell.

I like it bc it is not lay on the ground and meditate yoga--it is active and keeps me sweating hard! Builds strength and endurance and increases flexibility.

Fu-Pow Guest
    What's wrong with the assisted stretching?

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
    CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

Brian_CA Guest

assisted stretching

While assisted stretching can be good, the ones they show in Bill Wallace's book can be dangerous for people who have knee, hip and lower back issues. Also if you use assisted streching, have a very knowledgable partner. There is nothing worse then having someone on you who pushes you until you hurt yourself.

As a side note, whatever way one chooses to stretch remember that flexibilty is a long road. It takes lots of consistant practice. Try to stretch at least three times a week for about an hour. You should feel great benefit both physically and mentally.

Brian
    San Francisco,CA

ElPietro Guest
    I went to a bookstore last week and couldn't find any decent books on stretching but they had a ton of different books on yoga. I was wondering if it's possible to learn yoga from a book or do you need to go to a class. I'm not sure how complicated yoga gets but can you at least learn the basics from a book?

Brian_CA Guest

re: Yoga classes.

I would recommend trying to find a good instructor in your area for yoga classes. When Practicing yoga one should get qualified instruction in the beginning. Learning postures from a book can be dangerous. If you are out of the proper alignment you could hurt yourself. Check in your area for a Vendanta or Sivinanda center. Generally they hold free Hatha Yoga classes. BTW, make sure you get a HATHA yoga class. They may teach other yogas like Raja. You may end up meditating for an hour rather then stretching.

Brian
    San Francisco, CA

ElPietro Guest
    Hmmm..the reason I asked is because I have very limited time...I work full time, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, martial arts 3 times a week, plus have a pretty active social life...not a ton of time...

Taomonkey Guest

All Martial Artist should do yoga

Good book for serious yoga, is " Light on Yoga" by Iengar. I always ask "What kind of Yoga do you do" to every martial artist I meet. Their answer tells me all I need to know about them and their teacher. If you have no qualified instructor in your area I would say get teh book read it then follow it. There are several good hatha videos out there as well.

BAI HE Guest

Fu--Pow

I found assisted stretching in JMA to be superior to any type I've tried. There is the energy of the partner pushing you to get looser.
    But there is a biiiigggg differnce between getting stretched by a senior than a junior.

One of the funniest things I've observed in my training is people who equate flexibility with martial prowess. I can't get over it.

Being on the wrong side of thirty, I certainly envy it, but would I trade in this knowlegable old Buick of a body for it. NO.

Brian_CA Guest
    ElPietro,

Try your Gym! I am yoga instructor myself and most my classes are in gyms. Good place to find fairly good teachers also. Yoga is currently the #1 most requested Group exercise in gym right now. There is sure to be one. If there is not, ask for one.

Good luck,

Brian
    San Francisco, CA