Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Kung Fu Practice

Malaysian Kung Fu Practice

I was rereading an old article from a dog eared copy of Kung Fu magazine that I had and it was about Chinese influences in Malaysian MA. It went on to describe a practice that's very Wing Chun Like and sounds very cool.

Basically they don't have a mook jong, and they innovated a way to do chi sau that's a bit more painfully realistic. They have two people in chi sau range - beating the cr@p out of each others' shoulders and chest. Basically it's full on body punching if you can't defend properly. Serves to toughen them up and sharpen skills.

Anyone think about applying a similar practice?

One thing I have found in my martial journey, is that a lot of the lost Kung Fu in China, survived in South East Asia.

It seems in China they spent a lot of time preserving the "Style" of the art. In Maylay and Indonesian styles they spent much more time preserving the "Technology" of the arts. So stylistically it's all unique. However, the raw combat esence, often missing in many Chinese lines, is still there and well maintained.

Not that I am saying the Chinese arts are deficient or anything. I am confident every style still has old lines that are complete in both form, AND function.

For example, when I get to meet with Sal, he takes me down with the exact same stuff my Kuntao Silat (Indo art) teacher taught me, yet seems convinced these types of skills are not in Chinese arts.

Sal is predominantly a Shaolin teacher, with extra focus on Tai Tzu early on, and Rouquan later. He has no Indo or Maylay experience at all...which means his skills came from his Shaolin back ground.

That tells me at least the good lines still have these skills. It's just that there seems to be dozens more that are empty of content, and heavy on container. This is especially so in the west. The Maylay and Indo styles are the opposite.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 02-23-2012 at 06:11 AM.

A lot of systems went to Malaysia from China, especially southern ones.
    Examples are Southern Mantis, Five Ancestors, Dragon fist/Shape boxing, Pak mei, etc.
    Of course they were "culturized" and have their unique flavour now and may not "look" like the mainland versions but there is nothing wrong with that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Kun Tao is a Chinese style that migrated to Indonesia. The guys that teach it here in our neighborhood like to fight a lot. There stuff isnot bad.

ginosifu

Malaysia...

I have nothing to say about it. As a country or regarding it's martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Malaysia...

I have nothing to say about it. As a country or regarding it's martial arts.
    Well - what about the idea of replacing gentlemanly chi sau with a kyukushin-esqe chest thumping?

I think it sounds like a good idea.

I don't think Malaysia is going to make an impact in ANY martial arts at any time soon.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

malaysian doesnt have the "lost kung fu". thats rediculous.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I was rereading an old article from a dog eared copy of Kung Fu magazine that I had and it was about Chinese influences in Malaysian MA.
    Which article was that exactly?

Speaking of Indonesia and Silat, did you all see my post on the qigong FAIL thread yesterday?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Which article was that exactly?

Speaking of Indonesia and Silat, did you all see my post on the qigong FAIL thread yesterday?
    "Chinese Roots of Silat" December 2008

That Qigong fail reminds me of how
    Michael Echanis died. He was a knife / hwarang do nut from the eighties who wrote a bunch of special forces combat books. Anyhow, he died because he thought his chi would protect him from a jeep running over his midsection.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Kun Tao is a Chinese style that migrated to Indonesia. The guys that teach it here in our neighborhood like to fight a lot. There stuff isnot bad.

ginosifu
    Kuntao is not a style. It's a term that refers to all Chinese martial arts. same as saying "Kung Fu" in English.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    "Chinese Roots of Silat" December 2008
    On the Chinese roots of Silat, I don't think Silat has all that much Chinese influence. I have been playing with Kuntao Silat for the last few years, which is basically doing Chinese Kung fu (Kuntao), and Indonesian Silat side by side. The Silat is definitely it's own animal. They have a much more detailed focus on footwork and positioning. The body method is also different in the fact that they intentionally disconnect on the initial engagement.

If anything, I'd say that the Kungfu(Kuntao) that ended up in Indonesia became"Silatified" rather than the Chinese arts being the root to Silat.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    On the Chinese roots of Silat, I don't think Silat has all that much Chinese influence. I have been playing with Kuntao Silat for the last few years, which is basically doing Chinese Kung fu (Kuntao), and Indonesian Silat side by side. The Silat is definitely it's own animal. They have a much more detailed focus on footwork and positioning. The body method is also different in the fact that they intentionally disconnect on the initial engagement.

If anything, I'd say that the Kungfu(Kuntao) that ended up in Indonesia became"Silatified" rather than the Chinese arts being the root to Silat.
    In the article it does address that saying that most Silat is indigenous, but that there's a small offshoot that is definitely Chinese in origin. It's more around the docks and does trace it's history back to a Chinese merchant. Very southern in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Kuntao is not a style. It's a term that refers to all Chinese martial arts. same as saying "Kung Fu" in English.
    I can verify that. Sigung of my old school is a paatje of dutch-indo Kuntao.
    Kung Fu is good for you.