Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Kung Fu Practice

The systems in that article were probably 'Lian' systems. Lian systems come from a Chinese fellow from Yunnan - clearly a prototypical Southern method. Many were influenced by Wing Chun after the 1960's race riots in Malaysia.

Malaysia has a large and diverse martial arts scene - so find David's claim that Malaysia has noting of importance to be, well kind of silly. Just like North America, there is good stuff and a lot of junk. And a lot of what you see that is popular tends to be junk.

But you will find Silat, Chinese styles - everything from stuff that immigrated hundreds of years ago to modern wushu, and everything else as well - TKD, FMA, WMA you name it.

There are some really neat things over there, if you know where to look.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

To Gian's statement, the interaction between cultures in the 'Nusantara' region has gone on so long that there are many ways interaction occurred. There are even some 'Silat' styles, like Mustika Kwitang, which is perfectly preserved 19th century Nan Quan.

There are strong Chinese, Indian, European and Arab influences. Some like the Chinese, Indian and European influences are seen in the martial art. Others, like the Arab influence is more cultural imperialism.
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    There are even some 'Silat' styles, like Mustika Kwitang, which is perfectly preserved 19th century Nan Quan.
    Mustika Kwitang 1
    Mustika Kwitang 2
    Mustika Kwitang 3

Wow, interesting.

As far as the earlier comment about Malaysia having the goods; the little bit that Water Dragon demonstrated for me looked nasty and effective. I think DJ's comment might have been more about the idea that Malaysia had preserved the only "real" Chinese Kung Fu that China "lost" it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    In the article it does address that saying that most Silat is indigenous, but that there's a small offshoot that is definitely Chinese in origin. It's more around the docks and does trace it's history back to a Chinese merchant. Very southern in nature.
    Well, I do know there are Hakka styles practiced in Indonesia. But those would be considered Kuntao, not Silat.

There are lines that are blended, with side by side curriculum though.

To Gian's statement, the interaction between cultures in the 'Nusantara' region has gone on so long that there are many ways interaction occurred. There are even some 'Silat' styles, like Mustika Kwitang, which is perfectly preserved 19th century Nan Quan.

There are strong Chinese, Indian, European and Arab influences. Some like the Chinese, Indian and European influences are seen in the martial art. Others, like the Arab influence is more cultural imperialism.
    Would that not be called Kuntao then?

The world is too big and too old for any kind of singularity. Martial arts is no different.

@ Pork Chop - Sure Malaysia, AND Indonesia, AND THailand, AND Brunei... lots of good stuff throughout there. Lots of goofy stuff too, but that is common anywhere.

@ Gian - you are missing the point of what I wrote. You are trying to create classifications that fit a consistent mold - this does not account for the cultural synergy and adaptation that goes on there. For instance - there are an infinite array of levels of inclusions, adoption and dissemination going both ways. I cited Mustika Kwitang, as it is a Chinese system fully considered to be an Indonesian one.

But there are also linguistic considerations. Many Chinese terms were outlawed with 'Behasa Indonesia' being made the official language of Indonesia after independence. So you will find 'Pencak Silat, Japanese Silat (Karate), Chinese Silat (Kungfu/Wushu), etc. etc., as the word Silat also means 'martial arts'.

It is too easy to make simplistic statements like 'shouldn't that be kuntao then?' - but you are missing the whole picture of the culture of the martial arts scene over there, as well as the linguistic use of terms today, versus prior to ww2.
    www.kungnation.com

Also at Pork Chop - the stuff you saw was Indonesian/West Javanese, not Malaysian.
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I think DJ's comment might have been more about the idea that Malaysia had preserved the only "real" Chinese Kung Fu that China "lost" it.
    This is a common belief throughout the region. Obviously not true, but a well held belief. I have my own theories on why this is so, but I'd rather not get into it here.
    www.kungnation.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4wVZep86Vw

This documentary can be seen on Hulu - it captures the view of the TCMA scene in Malaysia/Singapore.
    www.kungnation.com

This documentary can be seen on Hulu - it captures the view of the TCMA scene in Malaysia/Singapore.
    Dude, is that the same as Eric88Ling that posts all the cool singapore kung fu clips?
    If so, awesome!

Sorry about mixing up Indonesian and Malay culture.

re Southeast asian MA:
    Yes, there's a lot of cool stuff out there.
    I like watching Antonio Graceffo's youtube channel of him kicking around SE Asia.
    My muay thai coach was originally from Laos and teaches a family style of martial arts to the kids that kinda resembles Vovinam (Vietnamese martial arts).
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't think Malaysia is going to make an impact in ANY martial arts at any time soon.
    I'm betting on the opposite horse.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

That was an amazing documentary!!

Eric Ling was a huge help back when I was figuring out the Tai Tzu puzzles. His archive of videos allowed me to compare and contrast an incredible amount of material and helped form the picture in my head of how all this stuff is.

Obviously he was not my only source. Sal was an essential component, especially since he was willing to meet with me in person and such, but Eric Ling has been a major contributor not only to me, but many other researching Kung Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    I'm betting on the opposite horse.
    You let me know if they come up with anything.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Okay Kung Lek, you've got me laughing. On what basis do you hold your opinion? I can name a half dozen quality TCMA schools in Malaysia - I few I have touched hands with representatives personally - from where does your opinion come from?
    www.kungnation.com