Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Kung Fu Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Okay Kung Lek, you've got me laughing. On what basis do you hold your opinion? I can name a half dozen quality TCMA schools in Malaysia - I few I have touched hands with representatives personally - from where does your opinion come from?
    You go ahead and hold your opinion. I won't begrudge you.
    This is my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

I don't think much of Malaysian martial arts.
    You are free to love them all you like!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ah, Kung Lek, you didn't answer my question - on WHAT are you basing your opinion?
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Ah, Kung Lek, you didn't answer my question - on WHAT are you basing your opinion?
    It doesn't matter. I'm not one to argue about it.
    Like I said, if you like that stuff, then fill your boots!

It's an opinion. You can get all fixated on my opinion if you like and exude as much incredulity as you like. I'm not changing my opinion.

I don't think much of Malay silat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There you go. That's a step closer. If you are thinking of the same Malay Silat I am thinking of, then I totally understand your opinion, as I share it. But there are other forms of Malay Silat that are much, much better, but not really found here in North America. And there are some GREAT TCMA schools in Malaysia. I just find your blanket condemnation silly, as I don't think you are making that conclusion from a full picture of the scene over there.
    www.kungnation.com

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    I don't think much of Malay silat.
    Why not? what don't you like about them?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Seriously dude, don't be so rigid, my incredulity is based on the fact that I'm pretty sure you have NO idea what you are talking about, probably taking one (admittedly awful and very popular) stream of Malay silat and judging a whole countries martial arts scene over it. Seriously, you've always been kind of a rigid kid, but think about this a bit.
    www.kungnation.com

TCMA ISN'T silat is it?

Chinese are second class citizens in Malaysia.

What is in North America is even less relevant if sold or doled out as Malaysian Silat.

I have no idea why you want to fixate on me and call me names like kid. I'm 48 you know.
    You that ancient that your world view is the only one worth having?

Kung Fu is good for you.

Kung Lek, I've read your writings for a long time now. When you do not debate like a kid, you'll stop being a kid .

Now you are parsing words - your claim was a blanket statement about the Malaysian MA scene. My argument is that they have a pretty robust scene over all. Now you are parsing words.

If you said some of the popular Malay silat is just not very good - I'd agree with you, but a blanket condemnation of a nation's scene is just... childish and ill-informed. No offense intended.

But, if you wandered down to Johor, I assure you, you will find some silat that will put you on your a$$.
    www.kungnation.com

Kung Lek, I've read your writings for a long time now. When you do not debate like a kid, you'll stop being a kid .

Now you are parsing words - your claim was a blanket statement about the Malaysian MA scene. My argument is that they have a pretty robust scene over all. Now you are parsing words.

If you said some of the popular Malay silat is just not very good - I'd agree with you, but a blanket condemnation of a nation's scene is just... childish and ill-informed. No offense intended.

But, if you wandered down to Johor, I assure you, you will find some silat that will put you on your a$$.
    wait, I didn't ask for a debate.
    I stated an opinion.

You have been badgering along trying to get some argument. Don't know why, maybe you're bored or mad at me because of some attitude you hang onto. I don't know.

I'd say your tactics are the childlike. In the meantime you haven't offered up anything valid whatsoever to counter my opinion.

Malaysian silat isn't very good. It's overtly ritualized and not effective as a martial art.

Do you want to offer something up or do you want to harp on about my opinion still? Would you like to make this whole thread about how you don't like me? Would that be more mature for you?

But, if you wandered down to Johor, I assure you, you will find some silat that will put you on your a$$
    <<<what kind of bullshit thing is this to say? Why don't you wander down to Fecking Johor and make a comic about how deadly they are.

chest puffing crap, yeah, I had enough of that here to last me forever. BUt by all means, please keep crap talking. As if your blanket claims are any more valid.

Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ah, Kung Lek, again you are making statements, but not supporting them.

Yes, I can post a good chunk of stuff from Youtube, showing Silat that is not overly ritualized, or ineffective. Although, I think THAT criticism could be applied to your art as well. As well as a ton of great CMA in the region, both traditional and modern. And has produced world caliber athletes in the popular combat sports like Karate, WuShu, Silat, etc. So when you say Malaysia won't produce anything - I wonder what you are talking about?

And I am not looking for a 'fight' if you will, I just find your blanket statement to be based on ignorance, and I challenge you to support it. I don't play any Malay martial arts, but for a person who calls himself a teacher, I am deeply curious as to what drives this opinion.

Now you seem adamant to tie it to Malay Silat only, instead of a blanket condemnation of an entire country. So WHAT Malay silat are you talking about? Help people understand your point, don't take your ball and run home.
    www.kungnation.com

Mas Judt

Lemme make it clear to you one more time.

Malaysians don't have anything worthwhile in their martial arts.
    They have nothing that is worth my time after having seen what they do have.

I really don't care about your experience or what you think of what I do. You don't know, your throwing spitballs for the sake of it. I don't know you either. So, meh.

The "malaysian" arts you talk about are Chinese. Not Malaysian at all.

Maybe you should go cool off. You are so desperate for a debate you will be resorting to tantrums and name calling next.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Now, THAT is a more specific statement versus a blanket condemnation of a country. So good for you Kung Lek. However, your frustration and anger is probably driven by the fact you are being asked to oh, I don't know, actually support your statements.

I'd wager on some of your views, we would have common ground. But on others, you might learn a thing or two. But if you choose to be close-minded, well, the results of that are obvious for all to see.

But here's a clue - there are two entire streams of Malay silat that feature NONE of the ritual, magical thinking or other silliness endemic to some of the more widely known Malay silat systems. Like most countries, there is more going on than what is obvious.
    www.kungnation.com

Oh, on my comment about Johor - what I am saying here in 'kung fu online' speak. is you clearly don't know what you are talking about, and your 'opinion' is meaningless unless you can support it with facts.
    www.kungnation.com

Really?
    Where are your facts?
    You have not submitted a single fact.

I have stated clearly my opinion and it was drawn from direct observation and my personal relationships with Chinese Malaysians.

You have no facts, you offered nothing.
    It's easy to bleat and panic like a goat and say things. Which is what you've done.
    You Mas Judt have offered nothing but trying to be contrary with me and now you make loose accusations and bleat?

So, by all means, seeing as you are the one aching for an argument, you go ahead and show me some of the good stuff that will put me on my arse from Malaysia.
    what a piece of work you are! lol

I still haven't seen anything from you but pulling a crap attitude aimed at me and then defending your crappy attitude with more crap that you have provided zero facts about or for.

So, what say you? You got some factual malay deadly? street or otherwise?

meh.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well, it hurts when the pronouncements of someone with a misplaced ego is asked to prove himself. But you can overcome this by simply supporting your argument!

I'm so very proud of you that a few conversations with some 'Malaysian Chinese' gave you a scope of the entire country. Truly, amazing that you can accomplish this. I mean, they are Chinese, so they MUST know everything.

Since THAT qualifies as conclusive evidence for condemning an entire country, let me provide some thoughts from my side, that a little less 'self-centric.'

I'd suggest you google the words 'Buah Pukul' or 'Gayang Lima' - I'm not saying you'll appreciate what you will see on a video, but if it was a betting match between you and one of their guys, well I'm not betting on you. This stuff is a god example of the 'pukulan' styles no frills, no fancy stuff, just to the fight. And as simple as these systems are, they have a great track record.

If you want to see good TCMA from Malaysia - google Eric Ling for a wide spectrum of stuff or google I Lik Chuan - a neat combination of Taiji and SPM.

Now, I can document examples of good martial art from Malaysia, where as you want to condemn an entire nation based on 'your opinion' and talking to some 'Malaysian Chinese.' You can see why I find your angry responses kind of curious.
    www.kungnation.com