Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Uglow...kung fu tourist...not!!

Blog Entries
    This isn't a democracy, you guys keep forgetting that, LOL !
    DICTATOR!!!!! LMAO............ Dictator SanKimJong Ronin!!!!!!!!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    FYI, If you are going to use a person's name, be sure it IS that person AND that you have their permission.
    Frank McCarthy never studied CLF!! He's just a cheap WC knockoff who learned his fighting from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!!!!!!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Hi again

Quote Originally Posted by Chris m View Post
    Yeah I did write to MAI years ago, bout some cover guy appearing to take the p##s out of Hung Gar, for no apparent reason-was supposed to be their new kung fu consultant and there he was disrespecting another kung fu style....just asked why that was acceptable.

Ps Spencer you sound like a guy, who if he has beef with someone, as the guy who started that other thread clearly does, would walk up to the guy and deal with it man to man...a proper kung fu guy....not an armchair see-thru..
    Ha I knew it! What a guess. I remember the MAI issue that you wrote into. It was when the mag was announcing that they had a Kung Fu advisor / consultant column writer or whatever and it was Shabir akhtar.

I remember you saying something like aren't all these Kung Fu guys all Wing Chun 'aren't they all' I quote. Also you said you'd been studying with Jim Uglow for a couple of years and that 'we won't take it any longer' I quote whatever it was that you were talking about. No disrespect but I liked the reply to your letter from the MAI mag I quote 'on the contrary Chris, the man is the style'. I thought that was a good answer.

I have the mag somewhere, don't suppose you want to buy it? Bet you can't get it from back order from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This isn't a democracy, you guys keep forgetting that, LOL !
    Sometimes, you look right at a person and ask them "surely you can see the error in this?" and THEY CAN'T!

This is why philosophy was invented!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

...also, martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Frank McCarthy
    who the hell is frank mccarthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Martialphoto View Post
    I remember the MAI issue that you wrote into. It was when the mag was announcing that they had a Kung Fu advisor / consultant column writer or whatever and it was Shabir akhtar.
    I recall him being a TKD Instructor and Champion before learning Wing Chun from Sifu James Sinclair?? Wasn't impressed that he was 'chosen' for the job at hand either at MAI but I'm rarely happy with any magazine these days

Ps Spencer you sound like a guy, who if he has beef with someone, as the guy who started that other thread clearly does, would walk up to the guy and deal with it man to man...a proper kung fu guy....not an armchair see-thru..
    Again, I am very proud of my own learning and training, but have to admit being more 'armchair' than I would like these days lol!! Maybe, if the timing is right, you will be at one of the big Martial Arts events this year in the UK and we can meet and have a laugh about this bl00dy forum! lol!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 02-29-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I recall him being a TKD Instructor and Champion before learning Wing Chun from Sifu James Sinclair?? Wasn't impressed that he was 'chosen' for the job at hand either at MAI but I'm rarely happy with any magazine these days

Again, I am very proud of my own learning and training, but have to admit being more 'armchair' than I would like these days lol!! Maybe, if the timing is right, you will be at one of the big Martial Arts events this year in the UK and we can meet and have a laugh about this bl00dy forum! lol!

Not sure about the TKD stuff but could be right. Not sure also if he learnt from Sifu James Sinclair. That guy was fast and as you probably know has a good rep. Shabbir Akhtar was at least certified in WC under Sam Kwok I think. Also under Jeremy Lau Lau Gar although I hear there's a load of politics involved there. I guess 2 systems for Kung Fu and his other experience isn't bad to say the least. Not sure how long he was doing that job in MAI. Maybe he isn't Ip Man but how many others are?

Better arm chair than wheel chair....?

To be honest Spencer I find those martial arts shows a joke....blokes in silk pyjamas showing off...makes me want to puke!!

Not sure about the TKD stuff but could be right. Not sure also if he learnt from Sifu James Sinclair. That guy was fast and as you probably know has a good rep.
    Yep I have met James a number of times and I have seen the two names linked before.

Shabbir Akhtar was at least certified in WC under Sam Kwok I think. Also under Jeremy Lau Lau Gar although I hear there's a load of politics involved there.
    As always! But you're correct too as he is currently representing Sifu Kwok and Ip Ching according to some sources.

I feel I should re-state that I understand where Chris m is coming from because I wouldn't expect someone like this to be representative of the entire spectrum of Chinese Martial Arts. That's a hard job, and I would prefer to see someone who can sit on 'neutral ground' rather than attached to a particular system.

Maybe even the posturing Shabir was doing in his photos were of Lau Gar and not Hung Kuen?? Then again, I have also heard many negative things about the infamous Jeremy Lau!! Not that I judge anyone without meeting them myslef...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

To be honest Spencer I find those martial arts shows a joke....blokes in silk pyjamas showing off...makes me want to puke!!
    Should I be surprised?? lol!

Networking is a special skill my friend and you should at least give it a go imo. There is practically NO representation of Hung Gar in the UK as you know, and I for one would love to see it revived.

Even if it's not in a demo format, but on the mats in Sanshou, Hung Gar IMHO SHOULD be represented in some way...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

There's HG in Liverpool and Scotland also I think.

The Hung Gar kwoon in Liverpool is run by students of the late Jimmy Chan, also si-baak to our kwoon, Chan si-baak gave my teacher a lot of support when he was starting out.....same roots. I'm not sure about Scotland, but there are plenty of Hung Gar kwoons in London....Lau and Lum Jo lineages are represented...

As for tournaments we used to enter, but always got disqualified....so we stopped bothering....occasionally we demo at SENI, but I always try to miss it coz its not my thing.....and I am crap and dont want to put people off their lunch...
    Last edited by Chris m; 02-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    who the hell is frank mccarthy?
    Just some dude.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    Just some dude.
    Never heard of him.