Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age, Forms, Focus

I'm off to the gym right now to do sprints on the treadmill. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Do any of you find that your interest and selection of techniques and forms change as you age both physically and within the system?
    I limit the number of forms I personally train and my forms are practiced much softer and much higher (due to spine and knee problems). I save my energy for sparring the young bucks in class.
    My performance and fighting days are over. Now I just concentrate on transmitting the art as faithfully and efficiently as possible.

I'm 7* and now I find that I'm naturally gravitating to Dou Gong and Ha Fu Gou Cha, and I'm approaching them almost as "soft" forms.
    Ha Fu Gou Cha/Hei Hu Jiao Cha is one of my favorite Seven Star forms. So much is in so few moves.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Do any of you find that your interest and selection of techniques and forms change as you age both physically and within the system?
    Started bringing an 80lb heavy bag to the park for workout. After my sihing and I turned 51, we figured we needed to step it up for maintaining bone density.

Here's a clip from last year. Warmups, reverse diou, combinations. Not too much Mantis specific in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8kEr4nIqf4

Blog Entries
    When I get older, I no longer strike into the thin air. I only strike on heavy bag or striking dummy. The reason is simple. The older that I'm, the more that I feel to strike into the thin air is just like "masterbating". It won't give me any satisfaction at all.

One thing that I find out is to do a jump kick may take 3 times energy than to do a non-jump kick. To do a non-jump kick may take 3 times energy than to do a punch. When I get old, should I spend the same amount energy to do

- 1 jump kick?
    - 3 non-jump kicks?
    - 9 punches?

I still have not made up my mind yet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When I get older, I no longer strike into the thin air. I only strike on heavy bag or striking dummy.

One thing that I find out is to do a jump kick may take 3 times energy than to do a regular kick. To do a regular kick may take 3 times energy than to do a punch. When I get old, should I spend the same amount energy to do

- 1 jump kick?
    - 3 front kicks?
    - 9 punches?

I still have not made up my mind yet.
    Rotate your training so that you work all of those at different times.

That way you get the benefit of training variety. You can train each more intensely since there is more recovery time before you go back to a particular thing. It's like when you split your weight training into different types of workout days.

Kung fu is about training what is difficult. Don't avoid the stuff that takes more energy.

Suffer when you train, so it will be easy in usage.

Also, the benefits of each type of training complements the others. For example, the kicking can help your hip motion for more punching power. Jump kick improves your endurance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Jump kick improves your endurance.
    I didn't pay attention on this before until lately. In the following 2 clips, you can see that the tornado kick had been replaced by crescent kick. Old people tried not to jump. I'm not too sure that's a good idea. I have always believed that if I don't use, I will lose it.

At 1.09 of this clip (done by my longfist teacher's teacher Han Ching-Tan), it supposes to be a tornado kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWY4joNlUk

At 0.56 of this clip (done by my longfist teacher Li Mao-Ching), it supposes to be a tornado kick too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SycLdjDbvok
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-03-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Jump kick also trains more explosiveness in legs which helps your attacking footwork for punching.

Explosive hip torque from kicks can help the hip snap in body strikes and throws.

[QUOTE=YouKnowWho;1159921]You may slow down your regular training speed a little bit, but you should never change the way that you train. The problem is if you change your training, you will never be able to change it back for the rest of your life. It's more mental than physical.

how do you know, are you 65 or 70? kind of hard to give advice when you haven't been there yourself,don't you think?

There is a reason you don't see any old Gymnast's.

External arts work good when you are young, but that's it.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    how do you know, are you 65 or 70? kind of hard to give advice when you haven't been there yourself,don't you think?
    Last time when I held my girl's naked legs, my tear started to come out of my eyes.

I just got my medicare last year.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-03-2012 at 07:32 PM.