Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Orr Questions 5 Where is Tan, Bong Sau in Sparring

Alan Orr Questions 5 Where is Tan, Bong Sau in Sparring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9mT...Oj81qDAdVKPxea

Question 5 in my Q & A series - Where is Tan, Bong Sau in Sparring

best Alan

The wu sao on the forehead, "Tomahawk" move....... seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9mT...Oj81qDAdVKPxea

Question 5 in my Q & A series - Where is Tan, Bong Sau in Sparring

best Alan
    i think your brand of WC is more like Street Boxing...But its cool. I think a person really skilled at blocks would look similiar to what you are doing. Ne Way I see alot of compromise of WC techniques that have you using the covering as your main form of defense instead of bridging for control.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    i think your brand of WC is more like Street Boxing...But its cool. I think a person really skilled at blocks would look similiar to what you are doing. Ne Way I see alot of compromise of WC techniques that have you using the covering as your main form of defense instead of bridging for control.

What you see is your opinion and that is cool with me. But you don't understand the progression or full principle behind what we do. Of course we use bridging. Any time we touch we have a bridge, it just depends on who has control of it.

Compromise? not sure why you even think that. Street boxing - yes wing chun is hong kong street fighting right? or it used to be before people stopping fighting and made it into drills and demo's of fighting.

My main form of defence - I showed a small clip - its not the whole system or an answer to the problem. You hold on too hard. Also we are not blocking. We have 3 stages in controlling and defending hard pressure blocking is the last and its not a hand block as you may see it. More clips to come.

Why not post some of what you do under hard pressure and also post some hard sparring showing it?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    No its the foreman that takes the punch, this is only when you are too late to counter the heavy rear hand. It allows you to stop taking the punch in the nose and still see and counter as the foreman is angled. We have used this in Pro MMA as the top level and it works very well. The body must be rooted behind the arm so the power goes into the whole body.

If you miss your bridge and the punch heading for your nose what is next for you?

Many wing chun don't think about it as they don't train that hard or with guys that are really trying to land the strike on them. When you do you think a but deeper and answer more questions with your wing chun.

No its the foreman that takes the punch, this is only when you are too late to counter the heavy rear hand. It allows you to stop taking the punch in the nose and still see and counter as the foreman is angled. We have used this in Pro MMA as the top level and it works very well. The body must be rooted behind the arm so the power goes into the whole body.

If you miss your bridge and the punch heading for your nose what is next for you?

Many wing chun don't think about it as they don't train that hard or with guys that are really trying to land the strike on them. When you do you think a but deeper and answer more questions with your wing chun.
    Good luck.

correction....When I said blocks...i meant to qoute 52 blocks my bad...typing on the fly an miss some stuff...also what i meant by street boxing is basic techniques boxers use in the streets...I didnt mean street fighting...thats a whole nother animal all together...Im not saying what you do is bad or wrong. Just its like complete foreign to wing chun in my opinion. The principles may be similar but the excution of those principles is done as Hendrik would say from a different engine. The engine and vehicle you use to apply the WC principles is different than street fighting wing chun...

You are right...thats a great idea about posting...I will soon one day been thinking about it...

I know the way i intrepret wing chun most westerners on the forums will disagree because its not what their use too...

What you see is your opinion and that is cool with me. But you don't understand the progression or full principle behind what we do. Of course we use bridging. Any time we touch we have a bridge, it just depends on who has control of it.

Compromise? not sure why you even think that. Street boxing - yes wing chun is hong kong street fighting right? or it used to be before people stopping fighting and made it into drills and demo's of fighting.

My main form of defence - I showed a small clip - its not the whole system or an answer to the problem. You hold on too hard. Also we are not blocking. We have 3 stages in controlling and defending hard pressure blocking is the last and its not a hand block as you may see it. More clips to come.

Why not post some of what you do under hard pressure and also post some hard sparring showing it?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

We also utilize cover hands...but not like your doing per se. But we do utilize cover hands. Its cool though Good stuff as way of fighting...just disagree with trying to use cover hands as your first result unless your rushing in on a opponent who is throwing random punches with out proper technique.

correction....When I said blocks...i meant to qoute 52 blocks my bad...typing on the fly an miss some stuff...also what i meant by street boxing is basic techniques boxers use in the streets...I didnt mean street fighting...thats a whole nother animal all together...Im not saying what you do is bad or wrong. Just its like complete foreign to wing chun in my opinion. The principles may be similar but the excution of those principles is done as Hendrik would say from a different engine. The engine and vehicle you use to apply the WC principles is different than street fighting wing chun...

You are right...thats a great idea about posting...I will soon one day been thinking about it...

I know the way i intrepret wing chun most westerners on the forums will disagree because its not what their use too...

Yes I agree, my wing chun is different. But in terms of street fighting - What I am showing works in both, but on the street I have more tools as well. These are very small clips, so again don't hang on what I say it all depends on many things.

We also utilize cover hands...but not like your doing per se. But we do utilize cover hands. Its cool though Good stuff as way of fighting...just disagree with trying to use cover hands as your first result unless your rushing in on a opponent who is throwing random punches with out proper technique.
    Again you are talking as if I said that's what I do all the time. We don't just cover as our first call, also we are not just covering anyway. Nothing is so simple.

The clips are to give an idea of a different way of looking at application.

Good luck.
    The more I train the more luck I seem to have. But thank you anyway.

The more I train the more luck I seem to have. But thank you anyway.
    Likewise....

Wu Sao means guarding/protecting hand. You can "protect" high/low. The strike was at his head so he "protected". You can't write a novel if you use the alphabet from A-Z sequence. You have to mix the letters up. Likewise, you can't expect a live fight to have perfect hand positions like in the forms.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Wu Sao means guarding/protecting hand. You can "protect" high/low. The strike was at his head so he "protected". You can't write a novel if you use the alphabet from A-Z sequence. You have to mix the letters up. Likewise, you can't expect a live fight to have perfect hand positions like in the forms.
    Translating wu ? Wu sao is a new attack with a specific position for a reason . its useless at the forehead
    Like a soccer goalie going back into the goal as a shot is made. He runs backwards into goal

Its not just the fact that its wrong, its going the wrong way, backwards, it goes forwards to attack from its positions....

It intercepts as a fundamental action by design mindlessly.

He did it in a DEMO not a live fight

Positions tactics techniques ?

Translating wu ? Wu sao is a new attack with a specific position for a reason . its useless at the forehead
    Like a soccer goalie going back into the goal as a shot is made. He runs backwards into goal

Its not just the fact that its wrong, its going the wrong way, backwards, it goes forwards to attack from its positions....

It intercepts as a fundamental action by design mindlessly.

He did it in a DEMO not a live fight

Positions tactics techniques ?

How can you tell me what I am doing is wrong? The system of wing chun I teach is CSL Wing Chun. Is not the method that you know or understand. Wu can be used in many ways and any direction. We do not limit it in the way you are talking. Once you have the correct principle within the structure of the system then you can apply the concept. In my mind you have it the wrong way around.

Demo yes to show an idea. Demo with Pro fighters that use what I show all the time. Thats why we know what we show works. Its all been tested with fighters. I have just had one of my guys win Kickboxing title a few weeks ago!