Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Whatever happened to the 'sweet science'? Even amateur and Olympic boxing is being destroyed. Japanese boxer dominates Azerbaijan fighter knocking him down some 6 times only to have fight awarded to the other fighter. Fight is eventually overturned and ref banned but its amazing.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/box...-decision.html

BBC has published another article some ten months ago regarding Azerbaijan trying to buy 2 Olympic Gold Medals for $10million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15034317
    Typicla of olympic boxing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

That US women's soccer match vs Canada is one of the best I've ever seen.

I think I'm in love with Jessica Ennis, the British Heptathlete. I could watch her bum all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWwNql5fOc

So what do you lads think? Is Michael Phelps the greatest American Olympian ever?? Based on total medals yes, but not all athletes can compete in multiple events in their sports. Discuss.
    Ennis is super hot, no doubt.
    Yeah, that was one of the best games of futebol I have ever seen.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Who says Judo guys don't know how to party?
    That's hilarious...I saw that on the news last night, apparently MMA and drugs do mix. It's either pot or the other 'dope' for the drug of choice.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

So what do you lads think? Is Michael Phelps the greatest American Olympian ever?? Based on total medals yes, but not all athletes can compete in multiple events in their sports. Discuss.
    No, not at all, imo. Sure the guy has a lot of medals...for swimming around all fast like. But the greatest Olympian? No way. If he could medal in seperate sports that would be another matter, regardless of the medal achieved. But its like, ya dude so you are really good at swimming. Whoop de freakin doo. But the real question is, can he get even bronze in anything other than swimming? If I see a person get medal in two totally seperate non related sports, now THATS a great Olympian. Not many have but there have been some people who have, for instance, competed in cross country skiing as well as biathlon.

So while he is the greatest swimmer, not even close to the greatest Olympian. He could prove me wrong by getting bronze in anything else, but he wont.

IMO
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Fernand de Montigny won 2 silver and 2 bronze in fencing and a bronze in hockey. thats more impressive to me than all of phelps golds. AND he was the architect of the 1920 olympic stadium...beat that phelps!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    No, not at all, imo. Sure the guy has a lot of medals...for swimming around all fast like. But the greatest Olympian? No way. If he could medal in seperate sports that would be another matter, regardless of the medal achieved. But its like, ya dude so you are really good at swimming. Whoop de freakin doo. But the real question is, can he get even bronze in anything other than swimming? If I see a person get medal in two totally seperate non related sports, now THATS a great Olympian. Not many have but there have been some people who have, for instance, competed in cross country skiing as well as biathlon.

So while he is the greatest swimmer, not even close to the greatest Olympian. He could prove me wrong by getting bronze in anything else, but he wont.

IMO
    Are you talking about the best athlete or best Olympian? I think you have to go on what one has achieved as opposed to speculating on what they could or couldn't have done in some other sport. He may have been able to be a great volleyball or basketball player with that wing span. So who is your greatest American Olympian? I think the standard for the discussion would be getting gold in 3 different Olympics...just to be in consideration...someone like Carl Lewis.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

Oh i also didnt notice the part about AMERICAN olympian... my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Fernand de Montigny won 2 silver and 2 bronze in fencing and a bronze in hockey. thats more impressive to me than all of phelps golds. AND he was the architect of the 1920 olympic stadium...beat that phelps!
    Never heard of this guy and that is amazing. I'll entertain other arguments for best Olympian...not Americans only.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 08-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Going by Lucas' criteria, have a google on Clara Hughes. Olympic medalist in summer and winter Olympics. Great achievement by far, but IMO not greatest Olympian. Just threw it out there as food for thought.

Ya the thing is, now days, the competition is so high, its nearly impossible for someone to medal in more than one sport, you need to spend ALL your time just get medal in one event, let alone two.

Ya phelps has a lot of golds, and swimming is cool and all that, i just personally dont get impressed by swimmers. Its the martial artist in me, I know that my view is skewed.

Now, if they had full contact swimming...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By far:

Jim Thorpe, Sauk and Fox Indian from Oklahoma- excellence in multiple events requiring vastly different skills before, during and after the Olympics..

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By far:

Jim Thorpe, Sauk and Fox Indian from Oklahoma- excellence in multiple events requiring vastly different skills before, during and after the Olympics..
    oh wow after looking up jim thorpe...that guy blows phelps...outa the water (pun intended)

Jim Thorpe definitely has to be under consideration, an Olympic legend. If I recall a he played college football too?

@Lucas, you are very correct in terms of the level of competition thats what makes Phelps accomplishments even more impressive. Over 3 separate Olympics. Full contact swimming does exist, it's called Water Polo. Lots of grappling and striking.

For me the greatest athletes or the events that require the highest levels of athleticism are the gymnasts, decathlete/heptathletes in the Summer games and the Ice skaters in the winter games. Nothing requires more practice, dexterity, and precision...in my mind. Very very few people could compete in these events.

I'd like to see a Cross Fit event added in the future if that sport continues to grow internationally. Iceland Amy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Going by Lucas' criteria, have a google on Clara Hughes. Olympic medalist in summer and winter Olympics. Great achievement by far, but IMO not greatest Olympian. Just threw it out there as food for thought.
    She is impressive!!! The only person I've ever heard of who medaled in both winter and summer games.

Jim Thorpe definitely has to be under consideration, an Olympic legend. If I recall a he played college football too?

@Lucas, you are very correct in terms of the level of competition thats what makes Phelps accomplishments even more impressive. Over 3 separate Olympics. Full contact swimming does exist, it's called Water Polo. Lots of grappling and striking.

For me the greatest athletes or the events that require the highest levels of athleticism are the gymnasts, decathlete/heptathletes in the Summer games and the Ice skaters in the winter games. Nothing requires more practice, dexterity, and precision...in my mind. Very very few people could compete in these events.

I'd like to see a Cross Fit event added in the future if that sport continues to grow internationally. Iceland Amy!
    hey screw you and your smarty pants