Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility

Sharky Guest
    why the hell does everyone think that 30 is old!?!?!?

================================================== =
    The battle started with a grapple, he had real long hair so a grabbed a hand full, and chopped 'em in the Adams-apple, his partner in back of you tried to attack you, so I'ma twist 'em up like a pret-zel then I'ma tag you/I can't believe he wanna grapple again, I swung 'em around like I was dancing wit 'em, put his arms in back of his head and snapped 'em again, I fractured his limbs and put em in the figure-"6 subtracted from 10"...

**Little*Dragon** Guest

old? nah

Sharky...I don't think 30 is old. I am 34 and feel just as young as I ever did...but after pulling my groin last week I noticed that my flexibility isn't what it used to be either. :eek:

Little Dragon

NEEDED: Flexibility Advice

Hey all.

Ok. I had a real bad accident 3 years ago in which my femur bone split and my knee cap got screwed up.
    I was immobile for 10 months after the accident and then another 6 or so rebuilding the muscles....I was on hold 2 years.
    Now, the problem is that I lost all flexibility and am stiff like a board (ok...that's a bit of an exaggeration) and cannot do splits, need a lot of time warming up and stretching to get kicks right....

I have read books and books, and bought books and books, and read the threads here and you name it, I tried.

Can someone offer a lasting, direct, (relatively quick - not years) and effective approach and exercises that will allow me to get the splits again and have my roundhouse kicks that don't seem to take all my efforts to get?

Thank you.
    peace brothers and sisters.

Relax into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline

www.dragondoor.com

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Try yoga

Try yoga--you will build strength and flexibility. Ashtanga yoga kicks a$$. it will make you sweat and get you flexible.

see my post stretching and flexibility.............
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Yoga is excellent. Never read that book by Tsat that Iron recommended but have heard good things about it...relaxation is key.

In that respect, if I had to recommend only one way to stretch, I would go with PNF stretching. The idea is that you get into your stretch and hold it statically for about 20 seconds...you then resist against the stretch isometrically for about 10 seconds then stretch again. It temporarily overloads the "stretch reflex" in the Golgi tendons and allows a greater range of movement. Be very careful with it though. I have seen people in one session gain as little as 1/4" all the way up to several inches. Again, BE CAREFUL! I can't stress that enough.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Silumkid

by resisting against the stretch isometrically, is this tricking the muscle to relax?

Question Building your flexibility

Question for you guys:

I've reached a plateau in the flexibility increase of my hips, legs and shoulders, what are some good (and safe) ways to break through that barrier? I have been using a stretching machine for the legs but even then there is just a point I simply cannot go past, which is not near where I want it to be.

All thoughts/help is appreciated.

~Eric
    Cab Driver: "Are you ok?"
    Jackie Chan: "NO!"

Wink

proprioceptive facilitation ... heheh not even sure of the spelling. GOOGLE is your friend
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

Prana:

Before you stretch your hip adductor which is your inner tights, stretch your psoas muscles, hip flexors first. Once your stretched your psoas good, then go back to your stretch machines. Here is some tips and some practical advice.

When you contract one muscle, the opposite muscles relaxs. If you want to relax your adductors, you will have to contract your glutes. By contracting your glutes while stretching your adductors will give your more range or motion and a better stretch. But this a passive technique.

I want to do try to adduct your legs together while on the machines for 5 to 10 seconds then release slowly and then stretch your your adductor a little more. Breathe! Rest a while wait out the tension. Adduct the legs together and of course the machine is resisting your legs to adduct, hold this contraction for 5 to 10 sec. then slowly release and stretch a little more. REst. Wait out the tension. You get the idea I hope.

Tell me if this help and keep me updated. If there is anymore questions let me know. Best of luck.
    Mr. Bao

"A gung fu man, then, should be soft-yet not yeilding; firm-yet not hard." Lee Jan Fan

Hey Boa,

Sounds like you're a man studying from the National Academy of Sports Medicine.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

R:

I am studying NASM because it one of the new requirements to become level two personal trainer (Pro Trainer) for New York Sports Clubs. If I can NASM and one specialized cert like let say training people who are living with HIV, I can go Master level which is level three.
    Mr. Bao

"A gung fu man, then, should be soft-yet not yeilding; firm-yet not hard." Lee Jan Fan

NASM was the best CPT I studied for and earned. It made such common sense. You'll pass it fine, I'm sure.

NYSC. I used to work for BSC. Very good chain to work for. I decided to change careers entirely, but BSC treated me very well and had plenty of opportunity for anyone aggressive enough to take them up on the offers.

Good luck.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

NYSC and BSC

A fellow company person. If you ever visit nyc, I would like to take you out and welcome you to my town. Plus, I can exchange some of my own theories on fitness and kung fu. Best cheers.
    Mr. Bao