Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flexibility

My report:

First I think Relax into Stretch and Force relaxation DVDs are top notch DVDs which has helped me to unlock some trouble spots for me. It has enhanced my personal practice of CST/RMAX. Watching Pavel cleared up many ideas in his RIS/FR book as well. Watching him move is far better than reading the book and studying the static pictures. I would recommend getting the DVDs than getting his book if you want to apply it quickly. But if your geek who want to know why it works then the book is for you to read and study. I highly recommend these products.

Fast and Loose DVD was okay. It was reharshed movements and exercises that I have already known from studying with Scott Sonnon. I perfer RMAX's Fistcuffs series over Fast and Loose, but for someone who has no idea of Russian method of Vibration exercises or active relaxtion exercise to release unneccessary tension, then this would be good for hobbist bodybuilder and powerlifter.

Load Stretchinf DVD was interested. There plenty of arguments of doing stretching before lifting. But this DVD has actually increased my Clubbell performance. This DVD is not for beginners tho because it can be very very very dangerous for those who do not have a solid strength and conditioning background. I shall use this technique for future compeition to earn my master in sports in CST.

Namaste,
    Bao

PS: If you guys are interested in a basic introduction to CST/RMAX methodology, then Intu-flow is a great new flagship product which combines all materials such as Warrior Wellness, Bodyflow, Prime your Energy, and clubbells. Intu-flow comes with two mini clubbells (5lbers) and three DVDs and two posters.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 12-20-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

ttt 4 2017!

I confess, this is a dumb ttt. But I'm trying to breathe some life into our KFT&H subforum, so I merged a bunch of old 'flexibility' threads together and am now ttt-ing it with this recent not-very-informative news piece.

Want Strength and Flexibility? You Need to Give It Time
    Muscles have to learn to be strong and flexible

When sports season gets into full swing, many young athletes set new goals and push their bodies to the limit. Many of these sports require a great deal of flexibility and strength.

But it’s important for young athletes, coaches, and parents to understand that those attributes can’t be acquired overnight, says athletic trainer Jason Cruickshank, ATC, CSCS.

“It usually takes a good six to eight weeks of training to see any kind of change in a muscle, whether it be lengthening muscle through stretching or making it stronger through strength training,” Mr. Cruickshank says.

During the first six to eight weeks of training, the muscles “learn” how to stretch under a load, and begin to retain their shape.

“A good rule of thumb is that anything that is gained quickly is not going to stay,” he says. So consistency with a slow and steady regimen is the way to go.

Take a break when injury occurs
    When muscles are overloaded by being forced into a stretch or into a range of motion that they’re not ready for, a muscle strain injury is the likely result, Mr. Cruickshank says.

If you put more stress on strained muscles repeatedly over time, the injuries can become far more serious.

“Think of a muscle as similar to a spooled cable. When injury occurs, you’ve broken some of those fibers that are inside the cable. This is what causes swelling, and muscle aches and pains,” Mr. Cruickshank says.

Do the right kind of stretching
    For athletes who want to increase their strength and flexibility in a safe manner, it’s important to know what to do and what not to do.

Bouncing or ballistic stretching is not recommended, Mr. Cruickshank says. This kind of stretching actually inhibits the muscle from performing better and can cause microscopic injuries or worse.

Static stretching, which involves holding a position, is best for increasing flexibility long-term, Mr. Cruickshank says. However, static stretching is not a great performance stretch.

For most athletes, dynamic stretching is a good option.

“Dynamic stretches like butt kickers, lunges, or side-steps, where the leg is going out as far as it can, take the muscles through natural ranges of motion with activity. This increases the blood flow, and recruits all the muscle fibers to work together,” Mr. Cruickshank says.

Not every athlete’s body is the same. So what works for one person might not work for another, Mr. Cruickshank says. Athletes should listen to their bodies and never push themselves to the point where they feel pain.
    October 3, 2017 / By Bone, Muscle and Joint Team
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Angry

I am reading up to 2/3 of a book on stretching. It was written by a Chinese medicine physician specialized in muscle & bone injury. The main theme is the name of the book "An inch longer in tendon, an increase in ten years of life span". The idiom tells the importance of our muscles' flexibility. So I take in some of the stretching exercises, and incorporate them into my regular training routine.

One point that I would like to mention here - in the book, the author pointed out that the stretching exercises in martial art, dancing and opera are unsafe, but his method is based on the principle of guaranteed safe. From my MA training experience, the extreme flexibility training in the arts mentioned is unsafe when the method used is wrong. For example, external force is applied to the student to force her into backward bend so that her head touches her buttlock.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

How not to develop flexibility.

This Ozell Williams creep is worse than an idiot; he's a full-blown psychopath who should do time for assault. I don't care how many flips and loop de loops he can do. Never, ever allow anyone to force you into a stretch. Pick your (or your kids') teachers/coaches very carefully.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-14-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Jimbo, you are right. Sadly such outrageous thing still happens today. I have read recently a story in the news media that a teacher in Mainland China was charged by the authority for having committed such felony to her student.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong