Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Wing Chun Curriculum

A Wing Chun Curriculum

This is an example of what my Sifu uses as his Wing Chun Induction program.

Specific lines of method passed onto him directly by his only Wing Chun Sifu Lee Shing. This is not the 'Ip Man' curriculum, it is considered to be a work in progress. It is used for the initial 5-10 weeks training, and from what I understand my Sifu still teaches this today to a basic level.

If Chee, or anyone can offer a translation that would be cool, although it is very old language that is 'encoded'. I will offer any answers to questions from those who are truly interested...

Ti Fei
    詠春國術

If you are going to do a certificate, why not do it in English or whatever language is prevelent there?
    Jackie Lee

Yeah - chee or hendrick - if you would indulge a translation that would be great.

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    If you are going to do a certificate, why not do it in English or whatever language is prevelent there?
    Are you having a laugh?!

English translations are readily available, but my Sifu is Cantonese and his before him too and this was how he was taught, so I guess I could say he (and I) are keeping this tradition alive as best we can.

I commonly use a numeric metho of teaching, so each set of 4 characters here willl be represented by a numbered system. I find that works well for the beginners, but when you really want to go into the learning and perhaps even learn 'how to teach', then this is what we do here in London in remembrance of my Sigung Lee Shing.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I'll try and transcribe to Chinese characters. Hopefully will be able to provide a decent translation tomorrow.

Thanks Chee. Your work will be very much appreciated as a comparison

It reads downwards, from right to left
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Are you having a laugh?!

English translations are readily available, but my Sifu is Cantonese and his before him too and this was how he was taught, so I guess I could say he (and I) are keeping this tradition alive as best we can.

I commonly use a numeric metho of teaching, so each set of 4 characters here willl be represented by a numbered system. I find that works well for the beginners, but when you really want to go into the learning and perhaps even learn 'how to teach', then this is what we do here in London in remembrance of my Sigung Lee Shing.
    No, I'm not laughing. I am just thinking that if you put it into something that does not require translation it can be more explicit. My sifu, my dad, spoke Canton as well. So did mom and my 2 eldest brothers and one sister. If I ever spoke it to any extent that is long since gone. I have taught Wing Chun and know exactly how to go about it, but I can not read the charactors. If you were to show that certificate to someone, unless they seen the words Wing Chun, or if they didn't know what Wing Chun was, it might as well be a certificate for cooking or some such. Tradition is one thing, but there seems to be so many different translations for these charactors out there, depending on what dialect you are speaking. It can be confusing as hell when trying to get a very distinct description of something. Just saying.
    Jackie Lee

振武課程,教科演習
    The Chun Mo curriculum, classes and exercises

旗號器械,剛柔鍛練
    Banner and equipment, hard and soft training

棍花挑劈,縱橫戳扎
    Staff flowers pick and split, vertical and horizontal seal and tie

正反八字,平馬錯步
    Positive and reverse 8 characters*, Ping Ma wrong step

滾地強身,腳點腿提
    Roll on the ground, strengthen the body, the foot points, the leg raises

四式自衞,木人樁法
    Four-style self-defense, Wooden dummy methods

連環攻打,七角朝形
    Linked attack, seven angle facing shape

旗杆展環,棍環對練
    The flagpole displays circles, stick ring sparring

-------

* 8 characters (baat zi) refers to the date and time of one's birth. Not sure how this applies here. Maybe baat gwa (the 8 trigrams) is what is described here?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pillars_of_Destiny
    Last edited by CFT; 03-01-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Thx chee. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    振武課程,教科演習
    The Chun Mo curriculum, classes and exercises

旗號器械,剛柔鍛練

棍花挑劈,縱橫戳扎

正反八字,平馬錯步
    Positive and reverse 8 characters*, Ping Ma wrong step

滾地強身,腳點腿提

四式自衞,木人樁法

連環攻打,七角朝形

旗杆展環,棍環對練

-------

* 8 characters (baat zi) refers to the date and time of one's birth. Not sure how this applies here. Maybe baat gwa (the 8 trigrams) is what is described here?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pillars_of_Destiny
    Agreed. Nice work!

A few nice translations too but I have to correct the 'Chun Mo' as Sifu has always spelt it as 'Jun Mo' (Martial Promotions) and this too is connected to other Lee Shing students as they all had names like this. Most famous of all (prior to Lee Shing) was Chin Wu (Jing Mo) from Fok Yin Kap.

The Baat Jii you mention is a typical stance/stepping exercise which is referred to as 'active and proactive' movement these days. My day it was 'Attack & Defense' lol!! Either way, you form a character eight with your movement in relation to your partner and the baat gwa you mention is on other pages, different thing.

It gives a nice insight into the regular language that was used everyday, so it would be nice to hear from anyone who has even heard of any of it??
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-01-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

A few corrections

振武課程,教科演習
    The Jun Mo curriculum, classes and exercises

旗號器械,剛柔鍛練

棍花挑劈,縱橫戳扎

正反八字,平馬錯步
    Active and proactive character 8, Ping Ma wrong step

滾地強身,腳點腿提

四式自衞,木人樁法

連環攻打,七角朝形

旗杆展環,棍環對練

棍花挑劈,縱橫戳扎
    I always refer to this as 'Flower Staff'

正反八字,平馬錯步
    Active and proactive character 8, Ping Ma wrong step
    I made a mistake!!

REactive and proactive!! And Ping Ma? Even Horse (basically this was our term for 50/50 and all variations)

四式自衞,木人樁法
    And this one is Four Sets for self defence rather than styles, and is a speciality of Sigung Lee Shing. Well, I think you can see that everything here is quite original and possibly Lee Shing was the only guy from Ip Man that taught like this.

What is your impression Chee? And has anyone else heard of any of the lines here??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I have taught Wing Chun and know exactly how to go about it, but I can not read the charactors.
    So can you explain to me your method of teaching? Are you teaching from memory and experience, or from actually being taught how to teach from a written curriculum?

If you were to show that certificate to someone, unless they seen the words Wing Chun, or if they didn't know what Wing Chun was, it might as well be a certificate for cooking or some such.
    Ah! You are now talking to me in a way I completely understand

Tradition is one thing, but there seems to be so many different translations for these charactors out there, depending on what dialect you are speaking. It can be confusing as hell when trying to get a very distinct description of something. Just saying.
    So can I ask what you think a Sifus job is?? For me, especially with regards to Wing Chun and my understanding of exactly what that 'name' means, my Sifu was there to guide me through the pages and tell me 'first hand' what each phrase meant and how we practise and develop it. Even to this day I can always return to him for clarification, but there was a minimum his trained Sifu would be expected to know.

These sorts of phrases or kuit if you like are very specific at the beginning but they tend to allow growth and development, for example the piece here talks of the flag displaying circles implying that the movement is constant and joined. But it doesn't tell you 'how' to do that because that is what the Sifu is for
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Everything on this page was represented in this old performance in 2001, which some of you may have seen before... now see if you can see what I have been raving about all these years lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_5S...eature=related
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

振武課程,教科演習
    The Jun Mo curriculum, classes and exercises

旗號器械,剛柔鍛練

棍花挑劈,縱橫戳扎
    Flower Staff pick and split, vertical and horizontal seal and tie

正反八字,平馬錯步
    Proactive and reactive character 8, even horse wrong step

滾地強身,腳點腿提