Thread: Clips.

Flame away? why?

Looks like training to me.

I have to say I would totally avoid class if I had eaten a burrito earlier on...

These clips show how it ain't that simple to just pull off a throw. There are little energies that can be employed to break a line or force.

These guys were using up their energy for sure.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Other than your tendency to muscle your throws ( which we all do by the way) because, from what it seems, you are too high, it was good stuff.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Other than your tendency to muscle your throws ( which we all do by the way) because, from what it seems, you are too high, it was good stuff.
    Thanks man!

Yeah, I'm definitely not sinking down at all when executing and I have a tendency to stand erect in the first place which really inhibits me especially since I'm usually taller than everyone.

I would add that I think Judo places more of an emphasis on finesse than Shuai Jiao does. While there is a degree of finesse involved, in a way we actually train to muscle our throws. Not trying to say that what I was doing is an example of this. It just requires proper set up and timing neither of which I demonstrate to any reasonable degree.

As DJ pointed out, I'm not so good on the whole conservation of energy aspect. (see the last match).

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Thanks man!

Yeah, I'm definitely not sinking down at all when executing and I have a tendency to stand erect in the first place which really inhibits me especially since I'm usually taller than everyone.

I would add that I think Judo places more of an emphasis on finesse than Shuai Jiao does. While there is a degree of finesse involved, in a way we actually train to muscle our throws. Not trying to say that what I was doing is an example of this. It just requires proper set up and timing neither of which I demonstrate to any reasonable degree.

As DJ pointed out, I'm not so good on the whole conservation of energy aspect. (see the last match).
    We ALL muscle our throws bro, it is the WHEN that you need to work on (like we all do).
    I was and still am to an extent, a very big muscler of throws, probably because I am a tad on the strong side and even in my judo days would get accused of muscleing my throws but my teacher never said "dont use force" he said, "KNOW when to use it".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    "KNOW when to use it".
    That's it right there.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    That's it right there.
    And as always, easier said than done !

flame away oh can i please!!!

joking some nice work, as pointed out you are too high on some throws, your not controlling his centre and uprooting him, but hey you get him down, and i know what its like wrestling smaller guys its almost impossible to get under them

you had nice balance, only thing i would say is you chase the throw a lot, you get it but think about chaining two or three together so when he resists like that you can take him in a different direction

when i wrestle smaller guys who i cant get under knee taps and ankle picks work well, use the reach and length you have to your advantage but not sure if they work with the gi

Nice clips...nice job making the same few skills work over and over, good kung fu.
    Yeah, you're too tall.

Here's my Flame!!!

It looked fun. My flame is you may want to encourage your instructor to put one more line of mats out to increase the width of floor coverage. You had me scared for your and your partners safety a couple of times. Good stuff. Keep on keeping on and have fun.

Not the reaction I was expecting

Did you see the broken mirror? Sometimes we take shards from that and sprinkle them on the floor around the mats before a match. Makes it more street.

@Frost & Dan

Yeah, I keep chasing that one throw. Same side each time too I think. I think a week or two ago I pulled off a dramatic hip throw and ever since then I keep chasing that one.

That and out of the 3 or 4 throws I know pretty well there are only two I can really pull off in sparring at this point.

Obviously a lot to work on but a big one to take away is what frost said; working on chaining different moves together.

Good stuff! I especially like the way you seem to be able to root with one leg, despite being totally discombobulated in every other way. You pulled off some nice saves because of that!

I have to say,Shuai Jiao is something I wish I could have put quite a bit more time into.

Nice clips brother;
    You have a good natural upper body strength. When you develope your stance your throws will come off a little easier. The key is to get your hips below your opponent's and that's really difficult when most of your classmates are shorter than you are.
    Sitting horse, Train hard
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up