Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Defense/counterattack advice

Need Defense/counterattack advice

Hello Guys;

i need defense/counterattack advice from you guys; here's the story:

I'm a student at a Kung Fu School (for over a year); and a couple a weeks ago a new student arrived; and as usual we always welcome new students and try to help them in any way to accelerate the learning process; but in this case; this student came from a Taekwondo school and according to him; he is a black belt (Taekwondo); so anyways; we usually do sparring 2 times a week; and this guy is very good with high kicks and is kicking the shxxit out of other students, i give him a good fight but i sometimes i can't avoid his taekwondo high kicks; and the problem is that he is very arrogant and ****y with the rest of the class; and i tought that it was just me noticing that but i was right; one day i was taking a sh!t at the academy (he didn't know that i was there) and he entered the restroom with some other guy and started talking trash about other students and saying that he was the best; and i tried to ignore that but he started beating the youg and newer students and that makes me mad.

so what would be the best defense and counterattack with Taekwondo style?

Thanks

is he a TKD fighter that drops his hands a lot? some do, depends on what style. if so, move in fast and close and pop him in the nose, dont let him use long range kicks. you can also get in close and clinch him and sweep him. dont fight his fight. he wants a long to medium range fight
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

if you're feeling daring try and swing down and under his kick while stepping into his mid/close range. For the purpose of getting on the less dangerous side and close in his space so you could just shove him off balance and take control of him.

The trick is just learning to see those high kicks coming. (they're tough, catch me all the time ) Once you can see it, there's a multitude of options...including just running forward. Keep sparring with him. And try to suppress your ego/pride...it's part of your training (or part of mine anyway )

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    is he a TKD fighter that drops his hands a lot? some do, depends on what style. if so, move in fast and close and pop him in the nose, dont let him use long range kicks. you can also get in close and clinch him and sweep him. dont fight his fight. he wants a long to medium range fight
    Thanks for the advice; i have sweeped him a couple of times; and he's kind of waiting for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingArt View Post
    if you're feeling daring try and swing down and under his kick while stepping into his mid/close range. For the purpose of getting on the less dangerous side and close in his space so you could just shove him off balance and take control of him.
    i will try that; but the thing is that we are not permitted to hit (point sparring) once he is down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    The trick is just learning to see those high kicks coming. (they're tough, catch me all the time ) Once you can see it, there's a multitude of options...including just running forward. Keep sparring with him. And try to suppress your ego/pride...it's part of your training (or part of mine anyway )
    Thanks ShaolinDan; you are right; those kicks are tough; i'll keep sparring with him until i can get a better sense of counterattack (ofcourse also with the advice from all of you guys); at the end it will be a new fighting lesson to learn.

I personally think that he doesn't understand very well the meaning and purpose of the martial arts and the people that practice; you don't use it to hurt people or to feel superior; if you a re a good fighter you need to be humble and modest; at least that's what our sifu teach us.

Most of the 'show-offs' don't last long...usually don't get the special treatment they seem to want. Those who stick around can turn out to be great students/training partners once they realize they really want to learn what's being taught.

You need to learn to stop high kicks hard;

Blocking; Try to block with two hands simultaneously. So as for example he roundhouses to your head, shield your head with one hand, then use the other hand to slap his leg as high up the leg as possible, preferably the knee. So the first hand blocks and impacts the leg, the second hand adds a slap, and both push downwards. If he is wearing shin guards you can try using two forearms hammering down on the shin. when you use both it will not just block his leg, but reflect it and cause him to lose some stability which gives you a chance to counter. Use your hands together, like wielding a two handed weapon. Double hammer. With good timing it is possible to have one hand land right on the end of his toes which will over extend his foot and hurt him a little, while the other hand hammers into his shin. Remember to twist your waist into his kick as you use the double hammer. You can do this without stepping. Actually strike downwards, don't just block.

Catching; The best thing to do is not to try and pick it out of the air, but rather to block it and try to trap it on its way back. Typically use one vertical arm and one horizontal arm. The vertical arm blocks the kick, the horizontal arm is placed below to trap the leg as it returns. One you have his leg the rules of sparring will limit your counters, but you will have a good chance to throw. Try lifting his leg as high as you can then kick the other leg. Like an 'L' shape guard at the side of your body.

What kind of kicks do you have most trouble with?

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    You need to learn to stop high kicks hard;

Blocking; Try to block with two hands simultaneously. So as for example he roundhouses to your head, shield your head with one hand, then use the other hand to slap his leg as high up the leg as possible, preferably the knee. So the first hand blocks and impacts the leg, the second hand adds a slap, and both push downwards. If he is wearing shin guards you can try using two forearms hammering down on the shin. when you use both it will not just block his leg, but reflect it and cause him to lose some stability which gives you a chance to counter. Use your hands together, like wielding a two handed weapon. Double hammer. With good timing it is possible to have one hand land right on the end of his toes which will over extend his foot and hurt him a little, while the other hand hammers into his shin. Remember to twist your waist into his kick as you use the double hammer. You can do this without stepping. Actually strike downwards, don't just block.

Catching; The best thing to do is not to try and pick it out of the air, but rather to block it and try to trap it on its way back. Typically use one vertical arm and one horizontal arm. The vertical arm blocks the kick, the horizontal arm is placed below to trap the leg as it returns. One you have his leg the rules of sparring will limit your counters, but you will have a good chance to throw. Try lifting his leg as high as you can then kick the other leg. Like an 'L' shape guard at the side of your body.

What kind of kicks do you have most trouble with?
    i have trouble with his roundhouse and his hook kick; too fast sometimes to catch

try to pay attention to his footwork when he spars other people, look for his set ups through his feet to see when he is going to throw what type of kick. if you can catch a pattern, exploit it.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If you get close, and do the opening move of this form, backwards, it defeats their entire style

0:13 down to 0:08 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvF6r6DOvc

The trick is to get in on the inside of their shoulders as you enter, then rise above them and come down on the outside of them as you go chest to chest. apply pressure with your chest to keep their center disconnected (you want their upper body behind their dantien). A bit of sudden force may be needed to jar them back off center. Once you have that, you have control of their upper body.

Now that you have that initial entry, dominating he fight is just a matter of maintaining contact, and walking into them.

If they try to turn away from you, follow. If they try to fade to the side, circle into them (like a tight Bagua walk).

Since you have the dominate position, and they are compromised, you will be one step ahead of them. It's only a matter of time before you feel the right mix of disconnection and loss of balance in them. When that happens, blast in hard using a medium bow stance between their legs to initiate the take down and run them over.

If you have a guy like this to play with, savor the opportunity. He's giving you the opportunity to learn how to nullify an entire art with one simple move.

I would encourage his arrogance, then dump him every time I had the chance wit this one.

My favorite part is the look on their face the moment they realize that are totally helpless and about to go down. since you are so close, you can actually hear that little "Gasp" of fear. In their breath. That moment is the exact second to pour on the power and bring them down.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 02-29-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luismtzr View Post
    i have trouble with his roundhouse and his hook kick; too fast sometimes to catch
    Don't try to catch it. close the gap and jamb it in tight with your body, before he gets to the point of generating power. If you watch his body mechanics, you can see him about to wind up, before his leg moves. Enter then, and you will lead the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by luismtzr View Post
    Ok,

Well, the hook kick will usually be done off of the front leg.

So a good tactic is to go southpaw on him. If he is Left leg forewards, you stand right leg forewards and vice versa.

This way his front hook kick and reverse roundhouse will be flying into your hands. You will find it is easy to catch or guard.

If you stand in the same stance as him (i.e both left leg forwards) his front hook and reverse roundhouse will come from your back, where you have less vision and only one hand.

So however he stands, stand in to opposite stance, this way his best kicks will go straight into your guard and you will find it easier to catch or block or see.

Then learn to close him down, and learn to barge with your shoulders.

If you can't switch fast enough, then stand very square (i.e not side on). And keep both hands up. This way you can see left and right equally. The reason the kicks seem too fast to catch is because he is kicking from your blind spot.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 02-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys;

i knew that i was going to get a lot of advice to start working on.

This is a great forum

xie xie ni

Back about 45 years ago I met a Korean fellow while serving in Vietnam. He was a 4th black belt TKD. All his outfit were black belts. I was watching him and his guys training one day and he asked me to join them later for food and drink. We got to be very good friends and are still friends today. I explained to him that I did a form of gung fu and he was interested enough that he wanted me to show him some. We played around a lot. I did find that he was so fast that it was very difficult to stay out of in front of his feet, but I managed to figure out his weakness. I would take an opposite forward stance and move behind his lead, which would make him have to continue to shift position and unable to really set up for a high kick. Then I would force him by faking him out by making lots of noise and acting like I was running at him. He would toss a blinding kick, but I would not be there. No sooner than the kick missed I would be following it back in while he was on one foot like a balarina. No balance and unable to defend himself so I could sweep him or flip him over a hip or whatever. Had we been fighting I would have shattered his knees if possible. Anyway, you don't really want to fight his fight or he is going to hurt you. Make him fire on you and then while he is off balance move in on him fast. TKD guys can fight in close, but it is not their best fight. If you can get in close you neutralize his best and most powerful weapon. The trick on your part is to avoid getting hit with one before you can make your move.
    Jackie Lee