Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Defense/counterattack advice

no man standing on one leg can withstand a barge by a solid both feet on the ground guy of similar weight.

The trick is getting across the kicking range into boxing or trapping range safely. That's another story.

Once you get a feel for his range, stay out of it, close in or further out. I highly recommend close in, so you can stand on his foot and dead leg the captured leg with your opposite knee, that close.
    Further out, attack his feet and shins with your blocks, like dropping an elbow on his side kick to your ribs. Backfist to the top of the foot is pretty good too....

Circle, stay off the railroad tracks and look for the opportunities as he weight shifts or recovers from a technique (as mentioned).

And lastly, this is martial arts, people are better at some things than other people, and there are earned arrogances. Don't complain, look at it as your golden opportunity to learn how to fight high kickers who will really try to hit you, not ponce around.

One more thing, watch out for the Axe kick, around up, and straight down, it is the one that works in close, and comes straight down on your head or collarbones.

And hurt him enough to make him worry.

I mean, it should all be fun, right?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Have somebody distract him in the locker room and put icey hot or ben gay in his cup/supporter that will teach him......

Seriously though just learn how to jam the kicks or move in then just blast him which your hands....

Rush in and stay close inside. Throw a lot at the face and head.
    Armour up while going in.( tuck your chin, keep your guard up, low and fast)

Clinch range is really hard to work TKD in.

Do you have anything for that?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Close the distance!

Maintain your closed cover and charge in. High kicking leaves you very exposed on one leg. It's a great opportunity.

Truth is, there are a great many ways to jam, wedge, even attack kicks and the base leg (As a sifu you should know these basics and not insult a student for performing well or better than yourself. No one knows it all).

But for an easy to understand remedy. As soon as your sparring begins, close the distance with your own front kick to his waist. At the least you counter/jam any of his kicks, stop the momentum and then you should be too close for follow up kicks.

Nobody should be able to kick you two times in a row before you close the distance.

As a teacher, you are not responsible for being able to beat everyone that walks through the door. But you are responsible for having remedies for very common situations, such as high head kicks. This is basic.

But koodos for you for sparring! AT least you're discovering areas to improve and if you keep a good attitude about it you and your students will benefit.

Your right hand should be the counter to his right kick. When you see it coming, shield your head with your left arm and throw your right hand as hard as possible to his nose. Problem solved.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

at 53 seconds in, charging and jamming the knee stops a TKD round kick

at 1:37 wedge and uproot kick to head... also notice the lead leg, which would be kicking groin as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6sL...5&feature=plcp

As a 3rd degree BB in TKD I can say this to you:
    Be the better fighter, period.
    I can also say that the vast majority of the advice given to you will work, if they guy is a complete cabbage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Greetings,

If the guy has a good weapon you have to take the weapon away.

You have to destroy his legs, as in thai style kicks to the thigh, preferably to his root leg. Once you have one, get the other. Press your attack. Kickers do not go for that unless they have good power kicks.

For your sake I hope the reason why he kicks isn't because his hands are so devastating. Old style Tae Kwon Do men had it like that.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-02-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Like some have suggested, you could see this as a way to expand your own skills.

Don't let your own ego get in the way. People tend to get defensive when someone is better than them at something.

Why not just be like "hey dude, you're pretty good with those high kicks"?

Giving him validation might cut back on his c0ckiness a bit.

Once the egos are removed you can probably learn more from each other.

Maybe he'll even show you how to defend against them. TKD has methods for defending against its own techniques, right?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Greetings,

I have to give IronFist the win on this one.

Just in case you do not want to pursue that route, I forgot to add that kickers are pretty ineffective when their torso is in pain because it is so involved in their actions. Shots to the liver, solar plexus, and ribs will slow the guy down significantly.

mickey

Thanks everyone for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu God View Post
    Close the distance!

Maintain your closed cover and charge in. High kicking leaves you very exposed on one leg. It's a great opportunity.

Truth is, there are a great many ways to jam, wedge, even attack kicks and the base leg (As a sifu you should know these basics and not insult a student for performing well or better than yourself. No one knows it all).

But for an easy to understand remedy. As soon as your sparring begins, close the distance with your own front kick to his waist. At the least you counter/jam any of his kicks, stop the momentum and then you should be too close for follow up kicks.

Nobody should be able to kick you two times in a row before you close the distance.

As a teacher, you are not responsible for being able to beat everyone that walks through the door. But you are responsible for having remedies for very common situations, such as high head kicks. This is basic.

But koodos for you for sparring! AT least you're discovering areas to improve and if you keep a good attitude about it you and your students will benefit.
    Thanks for your advice Kung Fu God; i'll try that also; but just wanted to clarify that i'm a student also at that school not a sifu or a Teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Like some have suggested, you could see this as a way to expand your own skills.

Don't let your own ego get in the way. People tend to get defensive when someone is better than them at something.

Why not just be like "hey dude, you're pretty good with those high kicks"?

Giving him validation might cut back on his c0ckiness a bit.

Once the egos are removed you can probably learn more from each other.

Maybe he'll even show you how to defend against them. TKD has methods for defending against its own techniques, right?
    You are right IronFist; im trying to expand my fighting skills; and believe me; those ego days are way behind.

i gave him validation about the way he fights; as a matter of fact he is a nice guy with me (because we give eachother a good fight); he is better than me in some things and i'm better than him in other things; just different styles; that is why (like i mentioned before); i want to learn how to counterattack his style so i can try it and what a better way to do it than hands on; also to give advice to the younger and less experienced guys that also fight with him. (at least they wont get beat up everytime they spar)

I personally think that his pride and c0ckiness don't let him show respect for other fighters; i doubt that he would show the other guys how to defend against his secret weapon.

i'll try to talk to him next week about changing his attitude with the other guys; and instead of trying to beat them; why not show them how to kick that good; and hey maybe he will learn a thing or two from them.

i'll keep you posted

For all we know, his arrogance could be the result of his previous instructor never validating him. Sort of like how Anakin Skywalker was denied the title of Jedi Master, though he knew he was good enough.

Now he's suddenly elevated up, and doesn't know how to handle the recognition. Plus, if he's young, this is perfectly natural behavior.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Your right hand should be the counter to his right kick. When you see it coming, shield your head with your left arm and throw your right hand as hard as possible to his nose. Problem solved.
    In Muay Thai there's a saying:

"When he kicks, punch. When he punches, kick."(I'm 100% positive that I butchered it. You get the idea, though.)

Also, just spar more.

Also, also, it's point sparring. Doesn't really mean much in terms of fighting ability. If you were trying to hurt the guy would you just stand there and fight like that? Or would you just rush him and punch him in the face repeatedly?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    In Muay Thai there's a saying:

"When he kicks, punch. When he punches, kick."
    In TCMA there's a saying:

"When he punches, kick. When he kicks, sweep/hook his standing leg."

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    As a 3rd degree BB in TKD I can say this to you:
    Be the better fighter, period.
    I can also say that the vast majority of the advice given to you will work, if they guy is a complete cabbage.
    +1

I sparred with a WTF World TKD Championship heavyweight silver medalist in the early 80's. He was taller and outweighed me. It was pretty tough to get in on him, but that's what it's all about.
    Last edited by -N-; 03-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.