Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
Thanks for the info! It sounds like you also train in Northern Shaolin?

I thought you were a Black Tiger guy.

Actually I have been learning primarily Bak Siu Lam for the last 10 years so I know what you mean about the system and the way it's taught.

The point of my comment is that BSCLF players might not be limited to only the 5 "lower forms" (I only use for your term for it some we all know we're referencing the same forms).

The first 5 forms students learn because they are the "shorter forms" and slightly less difficult in terms of techniques involved. Full disclosure I have only learned up to #1. I don't think anyone really knows why they number it that way but learn it in a different order other than perhaps...once you learned it all...you should practice it in that sequence.

I have heard of students of Tam Sam who were sent over to Ku Yu Cheung and learned #6 & #1 (at least) which suggest Ku Yu Cheung can be selective to what he teaches.

Also I heard of Master Lai Hung who although is famous for his BSCLF but he actually also learned from student of Ku Yu Cheung and potentially completed the Buk Siu Lam system as well...which would explain how more BSL forms got incorporated into BSCLF over the years.

Sorry...I just kept typing and lost where I was going with this to begin with.
I just classify as a practitioner. But yes, I have learned from a couple of different styles and BSL is one of them. All Kung Fu is good as far as I'm concerned. Style is not really a major concern anymore. Enjoyment of practice is!