Thread: Goju Ryu

Hybrid View

Goju Ryu

I've had the good fortune to make friends with a sensei of Goju Ryu karate and I'm seeing many, many connections between Wing Chun/ TCMA and his style. Anybody here study Goju Ryu?

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I've had the good fortune to make friends with a sensei of Goju Ryu karate and I'm seeing many, many connections between Wing Chun/ TCMA and his style. Anybody here study Goju Ryu?
    Okinawan Goju for a few years before I moved over to kyokushin.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

So there's the one Goju form that uses a static stance and slow breathing (you know which I mean?). Is it a similar idea to Hung Ga Iron Wire and Wing Chun Siu Nim Tao?

So there's the one Goju form that uses a static stance and slow breathing (you know which I mean?). Is it a similar idea to Hung Ga Iron Wire and Wing Chun Siu Nim Tao?
    Sanchin and it is a very basic "breathing form" compared to the Tid Sin Kuen.
    There are many versions of sanchin but they, typically, can be divided into 2:
    Pre-Miyagi and Post Miyagi.
    The Higaonna Sanchin was longer, had two turns, did not move backwards and was, in some versions, less dynamic tension like.
    Of course some versions of the Higaonna one are just like the Miyagi one ( deep breathing, tension, etc) and have the two turns.
    It seems the depending on WHEN one learned Sanchin from Miyagi or perhaps why Miyagi was teaching sanchin at the time, one got a certain sanchin.

I really like the dynamic tension aspect of that form. I'm pretty limited in my exposure to Japanese/Okinawan martial arts as a whole, but that kind of static stance + breathing + dynamic tension seems kind of rare in arts with those origins.

Also, they have a kind of sticky hands practice too, right?

I really like the dynamic tension aspect of that form. I'm pretty limited in my exposure to Japanese/Okinawan martial arts as a whole, but that kind of static stance + breathing + dynamic tension seems kind of rare in arts with those origins.

Also, they have a kind of sticky hands practice too, right?
    Yes and the "iron arm training".
    Considering Goju's southern kung fu origins ( either white crane or 5 ancestors or perhaps even both), it makes sense it would have them, albeit in a very "okinawan way".
    Sanchin ( and it's TCMA parents) is a very individualistic form and, depending on what one is working on, can be done in many different ways.
    Some teachers were exposed to when their teacher was doing it in certain way while others got it when the same teacher was doing it different ( not better or worse just different) and that is how they passed it along.