Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goju Ryu

@Sanjuro - That's pretty cool. I wonder what the effects of that kinds of training are on the muscles of the abdomen and diaphram i.e., I wonder if it helps a practitioner to not get the wind knocked out of him/her.

@JamesC - "The body knows" ... love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Would just like to add something to this.

This is the reason that you see people grunt when lifting heavy weight. Doing this temporarily increases(spikes) intraabdominal pressure(basically the same thing a correctly designed weightlifting belt is made for), allowing for more power generation.

However, only if done correctly. A quick grunt is more effective. A long, drawn-out scream will have the opposite affect since it will be an exhalation.

Thus, the Kiai. It's amazing how in-tune with their bodies people were before modern science.

Also, the fact that most people can lift something they consider to be heavy and almost ALWAYS inadvertently grunt is pretty neat. The body knows.
    Quite correct, and to develop on what you said, notice how easily the body "switches" to reverse breathing to exert force, without having to "train" to do it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    @Sanjuro - That's pretty cool. I wonder what the effects of that kinds of training are on the muscles of the abdomen and diaphram i.e., I wonder if it helps a practitioner to not get the wind knocked out of him/her.

@JamesC - "The body knows" ... love it.
    The drawback of sanchin-type training is that it CAN cause "state-dependent" ability ie: you get good at and are able to take shots BUT only in the "sanchin trance".
    That is why it is CRUCIAL to develop your ability to take a shot under dynamic circumstances after you have developed it in the more "static" way in sanchin.
    The ability to take a shot while giving shot is vital for any fighter and that is where hard sparring comes in ( something the all systems that use sanchin used to/should have right now).

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The drawback of sanchin-type training is that it CAN cause "state-dependent" ability ie: you get good at and are able to take shots BUT only in the "sanchin trance".
    That is why it is CRUCIAL to develop your ability to take a shot under dynamic circumstances after you have developed it in the more "static" way in sanchin.
    The ability to take a shot while giving shot is vital for any fighter and that is where hard sparring comes in ( something the all systems that use sanchin used to/should have right now).
    I'd imagine there's an aerobic factor there too, i.e., can you use "sanchin breathing" to take a shot while winded in the middle of a fight/sparring match? Or how does that type of breathing exercise adapt to being out of breath?

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I'd imagine there's an aerobic factor there too, i.e., can you use "sanchin breathing" to take a shot while winded in the middle of a fight/sparring match? Or how does that type of breathing exercise adapt to being out of breath?
    Endurance is task specific and although there is always some carry over, the more specific the cardio-vascular endurance the less carry over to a non related activity.
    In short, while the body does adapt to being able to take a shot when doing sanchin, it tends to only do that at it's highest degree under the same circumstances it is developed.
    Hence the need for developing it when actually fighting since fighting tends to be more adrenaline filed and far less "paced" than sanchin training.
    IN other words, just because you can take a full force round kick to the gut in sanchin, that doesn't mean you can take the same kick in the middle of a fight after thinking what was coming was a right cross.

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to win!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart