Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't Use Muscle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    Internal= is just inside the body.
    A simple example can explain "don't use muscle" quite easily. Let's take the Karate "block and punch" as example. Your blocking arm should be like to "raise the curtain", and you punch is like to enter your body under that curtain. Your body "push" your arm in training, and your body "chase" your arm in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    "Don't use muscle" was one of those mantras at the first WC school I studied in. It was always a bit puzzling to me because without muscle, we couldn't even hold our heads up let alone do kung fu. I came to understand that it means "use structure to generate power".

Is "don't use muscle" something that's been highly emphasized for others as well?
    Don't use muscle = Use proper body mechanics and physics (muscle use is always apparent just in as small of an amount as possible, otherwise you would not be able to move or stand or breath. "use 10 lbs to overcome 100 lbs")
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Hello,

I believe that the issue is not that one should not use muscle but is instead that one must use muscle properly. As others have already pointed out there are many ways to do things, but all movement requires the use of muscle.

I think that the idea is to connect your body, and its various segments, from many parts which are seperate, to many parts working in concert. This unification of the body and use of the bodies structure is what allows one to generate great power.

Consider applying a pak to an opponents punch using the arm and shoulder alone. Now compare that to applying the same movement but using ones body movement/structure. With a step into the opponent where the pak acts more as a guide you may find you are capable of moving a much larger person off of the line.

Lowering ones center allows greater power generation without an increase in muscle or strength. It just takes getting everyting working together as a unit.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

"Don't use muscle" was one of those mantras at the first WC school I studied in. It was always a bit puzzling to me because without muscle, we couldn't even hold our heads up let alone do kung fu. I came to understand that it means "use structure to generate power".

Is "don't use muscle" something that's been highly emphasized for others as well?
    I am not even going to pretend that I know what your sifu was meaning when he said that, but it is a concept that is common to Wing Chun. It has nothing to do with skeletons and tendons or even muscles. It is a simple concept really, and nothing so deep and complicated should be read into it. By not using muscle has nothing to do with internal or external or generating power. It is just so simple. Lets take a simple block. You never try to block a kick or punch. Never meet brute force with brute force. If so, then the most brutish will always win. The skill part of this comes in that rather than trying to block a force with force, you redirect or parry it off to the side. You can try this simply by letting someone place their fist in the palm of your hand and then try to stop them from pushing through with their fist. You can only do it if you are stronger than he is. Now, simply push the fist off to the side as it tries to pass through, and you find very little resistance. By taking the path of less resistance if you will. This is the Wing Chun way of things.
    Now, having said all that, strength is very important. Even if using the path of least resistance, you will find even less resistance if you are strong. Strength is a factor that should be considered in any event.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

I believe that the issue is not that one should not use muscle but is instead that one must use muscle properly. As others have already pointed out there are many ways to do things, but all movement requires the use of muscle.

I think that the idea is to connect your body, and its various segments, from many parts which are seperate, to many parts working in concert. This unification of the body and use of the bodies structure is what allows one to generate great power.

Consider applying a pak to an opponents punch using the arm and shoulder alone. Now compare that to applying the same movement but using ones body movement/structure. With a step into the opponent where the pak acts more as a guide you may find you are capable of moving a much larger person off of the line.

Lowering ones center allows greater power generation without an increase in muscle or strength. It just takes getting everyting working together as a unit.
    Now couple that WITH strength and then you have one awesome fighter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Do not use muscle doesnt make sense.

He probably meant do not fight force with force. I.e. if he is pulling you, do not pull back.

Quote Originally Posted by Niersun View Post
    Do not use muscle doesnt make sense.

He probably meant do not fight force with force. I.e. if he is pulling you, do not pull back.
    For sure, of course NO MA ever advocates force VS force or to rely purely on strength.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Now couple that WITH strength and then you have one awesome fighter.
    Thanks, but I am really not that awesome
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Alot of stuff in wing chun is common fighting knowledge...

Its just the wording is all wrong.

Upon impact you tighten the fist. But not while your arm is being shot out at your opponent.

Imagine your arm is like a whip. You throw the whip out but the whip is not stiff or hard it goes out relax. But when the whip cracks the target, ie flesh it does so with great damage and impact. Imagine your fist are inceniaries bullets. Your body is the gun. You thrust your fist at your opponent upon impact the bullets explode. But the bullet doesn't change at all while in the air. its still in its natrual state. You launch or thrust your fist at your opponent but do not tense up because it cause you to slow down or loose velocity. The power inpart comes from the speed or velocity at which you thrust your fist.

The snap at end comes when you make contact tighen your fist upon impact. If your fist remains loose you will hurt your hand. Try this on wall bag first. The wall bag teaches you how to punch correctly. If your doing it wrong your wrist will be sore.

Relax your joints. thrust your fist out like a shock put or ball being thrown in the air.

just my two cents!

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"