Thread: Documentary: Shanxi Hong Quan (In Chinese but worth looking at)

Documentary: Shanxi Hong Quan (In Chinese but worth looking at)

Nice. I've only had time to look at the first 30 seconds of the first link, but it had some good and very clear applications that I think anyone whose done xiao hong quan will recognize. If the first 30 seconds are that good then I can't wait to sit down and watch the whole thing.

My Chinese is not so good, but did the narrator in the first clip mention that 2 of the top three "black market" (underground?) fighters in the world are Chinese? I think he says that while showing the clip of Kimbo Slice. In a turn of irony, nearly all of the gongfu demonstrated was taolu perfomances.

Greetings,

pazman, did you see the whole thing?

I posted this because though they are from the Long Fist family, they still take pride in their fighting traditions. Yes they do show forms and the fighting on the TV show may have you wondering; but check out the middle aged guys.

mickey

Mickey,
    Sorry, I actually liked most of it. You are right...the guys teaching traditionally in China deserve a lot of respect.

I think my complaint is just on how documentaries are done. Especially annoying for me here in China whenever I hear things like Yip Man defeating Japanese soldiers. I have a lot of students from the sports university here and they know my bull**** detector is always on.

Anyways, I'll make sure to check out the other parts of the documentary.

mickey,
    I watched the whole thing and overall, I liked it. It's not often that you see a documentary about a Long Fist style in which the masters show applications.

I only wish there were English subs. My Mandarin has gotten very rusty over the years, and although I could understand a good deal of what the host says, the masters are harder to understand due to their local accents.

On that Chinese TV show, I really wish they included hand strikes to the head.

shanxi hongquan is a very flowery and useless style.

hongquan means hook punch.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

Jimbo,

It is great to see that the fighting aspects are maintained. I hope they do more documentaries like that.

bawang,

You are in superb form, man. Just too much as usual.

mickey