Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instruction on how to bring in the money...

Instruction on how to bring in the money...

Greetings,

This thread was actually inspired by TenTigers observation about income levels of people who own Harley Davidsons and how he was going target the money by joining their local chapter. I thought this was a really good and shrewd idea. Though I do NOT plan to travel the road of teacher by profession, it does not mean I am without ideas on how to bring in the money:

1- Give demos at your local golf club. Some clubs have a membership stretching three generations. That is A LOT of impressions. The key to success here is that you have to present it as a wholesome activity that benefits the person physically mentally and spiritually. Provide brochures and business cards. Similarly, you can go to the local churches, halls, synagogues, temples, mosques, and community centers.

2- Develop a special pilot program for ADD/ADHD children.

3- Demo at college campuses, high schools, elementary schools. At the high school and college levels you can look into developing a club that will teach basic training. A teacher's license may be required.

4- Take full advantage of conventions and cultural events in your area. Demo, Demo, Demo.

5- Social responsibility. Give back o the community and make sure the media is there to cover it. This can include the collection of unwrapped toys for children for Christmas, the giving of turkeys for Thanksgiving (this is pricey, team up with some other businesses), a clothing drive for the homeless. You do not just want people to know your name, you want them to know your heart, your basic goodness.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

This thread was actually inspired by TenTigers observation about income levels of people who own Harley Davidsons and how he was going target the money by joining their local chapter. I thought this was a really good and shrewd idea. Though I do NOT plan to travel the road of teacher by profession, it does not mean I am without ideas on how to bring in the money:

1- Give demos at your local golf club. Some clubs have a membership stretching three generations. That is A LOT of impressions. The key to success here is that you have to present it as a wholesome activity that benefits the person physically mentally and spiritually. Provide brochures and business cards. Similarly, you can go to the local churches, halls, synagogues, temples, mosques, and community centers.

3- Demo at college campuses, high schools, elementary schools. At the high school and college levels you can look into developing a club that will teach basic training. A teacher's license may be required.

4- Take full advantage of conventions and cultural events in your area. Demo, Demo, Demo.

5- Social responsibility. Give back o the community and make sure the media is there to cover it. This can include the collection of unwrapped toys for children for Christmas, the giving of turkeys for Thanksgiving (this is pricey, team up with some other businesses), a clothing drive for the homeless. You do not just want people to know your name, you want them to know your heart, your basic goodness.

mickey
    1st off in my professional opinion Ten Tiger's idea was a bad one. Most Harley riders are invested into their bikes as their hobby and the likely hood they're going to train in martial arts is slim. I've been in the business of running and owning martial arts schools for 13 years now (both non-affiliated and big organizations) and bikers aren't necessarily the market profile that's going to build your school. As for the other ideas:

1. Golf already provides physical, mental and spiritual benefits to it's players. This is not to say you won't ever teach a golfer, it's that they are people who already have a hobby and most can only afford to participate in one hobby at a time, time wise and financially.

As far as religious institutions, hang an ad on their bulletin board buts that as far as you need to take it.

2. I would recommend either A.integrating it into your already established youth program. or B. developing an ADD/ADHD specific program, getting certified to be able to handle a group of these special needs kids and then seek government funding. Option A is going to be easier to pull off and not look like a fraud.

3. College kids are one of the worst markets. They have no time or money to train therefore have a very high turn over rate.

High school kids are similar to college kids.

Elementary school kids are the easiest to fill a school, but demos aren't the way to advertise to them. You need to go directly to the parents. Say you do a demo for an elementary school, and they love it. At the end you hand them a flyer and/or business card, 90-95% of them won't make it home to the parents. Out of the 10% that did, how many of those kids are even interested? How many parents can afford it? How many actually call you? How many set an appointment to try a class? And how many sign up? If you're lucky, 1. Not a good use of time and marketing materials.

4. Preaching to the choir. I see this at the cultural center here all the time. Chinese martial arts schools demonstrating at the cultural center to people who are already at a school doing the same thing they're doing. All the schools here that do demos at the cultural center have one thing in common, none of them have successful schools. People who go to cultural centers are typically Asians and other martial artist. In my experience Asians aren't a good market unless you're Asian yourself because instead of training martial arts they are busy learning several languages, playing classical instruments, and getting straight A's in school.

5. This is commendable, I do a certain amount of charitable events through my school as well. I would recommend doing 1-2 per year no more. It becomes very costly and you honestly get little to no return on it in the form of students. It does look good if you receive a plaque for it to hang in your school, or if you do make the news and you record it and put it on your youtube site. The truth is people are coming to you to get in shape, lose weight, build confidence, etc, not because you're a philanthropist.

It's nice to see you tried to help school owners with your ideas, but honestly, coming from someone who's been doing it as a career for over a decade these are the same mistakes I see a lot of beginning school owners make. Demonstrations are one of the worst ways to market and advertise your school. Think of this, Jiu Jitsu is the "it" martial art right now; they are filling schools no problem and non of them are doing demonstrations.

If you are a new school owner and/or a struggling school owner the 1st recommendation I would make to you is learn how to run a school. You got your black belt/sash in martial arts, get one in business.

Here's a starting point for you.
    http://martialartsteachers.com/

Remember just because someone is a great martial artist doesn't mean they are a great instructor. And just because someone is a great instructor doesn't mean they know how to run a school.

Hi Shaolin,

You have missed the point with some of my suggestions.

1,2 -You are not trying to bring in golfers or bikers, per se. You are trying to tap in to their social network. Though they may not be interested for themselves they can make a recommendation to others, or see value in it for members of their own family. You are trying to create positive impressions about yourself and what you have to offer to and in your community.

3 -With the ADD/ADHD suggestion I was going to suggest applying for a grant. You have to really achieve a result before doing that.

4- I remember that two kung fu schools did/do this: the Fo Jow Pai in NYC and the Green Dragon people in Ohio.

For each one of the aforementioned, you have to consider the ROI (return on investment) versus the initial cash outlay. The cost of doing these things are relatively low and the return, even if it is just one student from an hour of performance, is greater. I am not suggesting you rent a bus (a la Partridge Family) or a limo to go from place to place. Keep your costs low.

I understand that it is VERY uncomfortable for teachers to sell themselves. You are not really selling yourself. You are informing your public about who you are, what you bring, and how you and what you bring can benefit them. This is BASIC business savvy. It is not fluff.

First and foremost, Shaolin, you and every other teacher have to see real value in what you bring to the world. Some have the idea of wanting to be a teacher and really do not think beyond that. I know that maintaining a commercial school is difficult. I would not want that for myself. I do know how to position myself where I would be given early, if not first, consideration to those interested in pursuing MA in my community.

Though the suggestions can help bring people in. You have to have it to keep them. And if you have it, you will get the best advertising that money can't buy: word of mouth.

mickey

In any business this axiom holds true to a point: "You pays your dime and you takes your chances".

I don't agree with trying to develop a program for people with developmental and learning issues. Lots of effort, but not much return without the proper psyche supports and participation etc etc. It's a lot of work and you're not going to make money helping people with add/adhd, if anything, you'll find yourself struggling to understand the affliction.

I don't think martial arts instructor qualifies you to work with the developmentally challenged in a bubble of just martial arts. You need psych and health pros on the the scene and that could in fact cost you a lot.

Social Networking that is not specific to a goal is a waste of time. Yes, we develop relationships along our way through life, but social networking is usually a bunch of people looking to do something and no one among them to offer the opportunity or rarely so.

To attract people to you, figure out what would attract people. there are several models.

mma - young men like this, some older fellas too, but that's your demographic, appeal to it with all the things that demographic finds appealing. Humour and sex would work here, so a poster of a hot woman covered in sweat hitting a heavy bag wouldn't hurt either...etc

kung fu - tai chi- yoga - This is abroad range of appeal and one could target men and women and appeal to their personal growth and development. these arts are transformative more than anything and can be sold as such with results and benefits aligned to personal well being, health, happiness, body awareness and self defense if need be.

qigong -zen/dhayana/chan - definitely appeals to the spiritual seeker at the onset and then is also good for seniors and continued healthy living practice.

There are numerous models you can go with. Make one that fits you and your reality.

Next, set up your facility. Make it clean and convenient. Try and get as many amenities in there as you can because that is what you are going to charge for on top of the instruction. Goods and Services in the club are important too.
    Selling gear that you have sourced is going to drive the bottom line.
    Affiliating with magazines and selling their publications and getting involved in the scene with articles, pictures, social media etc.

If what you offer can create real and measurable results in a reasonable period of time, then that can sell itself.

Just remember, and always be aware that people are lazy in general and self absorbed. Find a way to work with that fact, and you'll be golden.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

1. Be qualified in the art you are teaching.

2. Provide a quality PHYSICAL EDUCATION to the people who you are teaching.

3. Provide a clean, professional, and inviting environment to those people training.

4. (something to do with marketing and advertising which we martial arts guys are not qualified to deal with so we should ask our friends for help with)

Greetings,

mickey
    #1 Give a demo at your local golf club - No.... The people at your local golf club may not interested in MA. On a whole, your targeting is off a bit. You are not going to get any networking from these guys... their attitude is not MA oriented.

If you want kids, market your advertizing to their Mothers (Moms mostly are the MA descision makers).

If you want Teens, do demos at schools and malls where kids hang out.

If you want adults, market the males ages 25-40 with above average incomes (Males who work at burger king are not a good target).

#2 Create an add / adhd program - Again No... I have worked with Add / ADHD / Autism etc etc children. I have experience in this area because I have been teaching kids for almost for 20 years. You will need a phsyc degree to actually create a class for kids with these issues.

#3 Demo at a college - Again No... Most people between the ages of 14 and 25 are to busy with young people stuff. College is not the best place to find new students.

Your idea is right to go out and demo your school but your targeting is off. On a whole, people who want to do MA will seek it out. You just need to have your marketing out there so they see you first and contact you.

ginosifu

Wow,

Working with children with ADD ADHD:

http://adhd-kids-cure.blogspot.com/2...with-adhd.html

http://sparkinglife.org/page/add-adhd

http://www.tibetankungfu.net/kungfu_...am-signup.html

http://www.holisticmed.com/add/hunter.html

www.jk-martial-arts.com/

http://www.sifuoch.com/adhd-add-martial-arts-kids.html

http://northreading.patch.com/blog_p...dadult-addadhd

http://www.pmsa-gojuryu.com/Public%20article/ADD.html

http://peakperformancemartialarts.co...d=17&Itemid=52

Here is something from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pLSRIdlC8

ginosifu, if you want to box yourself out with a degree, it is your right to do so. I would simply consult with the professionals in the field about developing a program.

By the way, if you are going commercial, you do not want teens, you do not want adults, etc., YOU WANT MONEY!!

Effective salesmanship is about getting people to say YES. If not for themselves, then for those they care for. A positive impression is a YES in the making.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-06-2012 at 09:26 AM.

It's all about privates

Tiger Claw handles some 24K+ accounts across America. That means we have this barometer of school success based on how much a school orders. The bottom line for all the the larger accounts: private lessons. That's where the money is.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh no, Gene!!

Don't tell them that. That means they will have to interact with the well to do: golf clubs, private institutions. Remove that post, man. You will upset somebody.

micky

By the way, if you are going commercial, you do not want teens, you do not want adults, etc., YOU WANT MONEY!!
    "If you work just for money, you'll never make it, but if you love what you're doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours."

"If we focus on satisfying our customers and take care of the top line of our business, the bottom line will always follow."

- Ray Kroc

Your efforts for trying to create ideas for school owners to market their business really is appreciated but I honestly don't feel you know our industry for one or have even basic marketing education.

The reason demos are a low return is because when a school demonstrates their talents they are trying to impress the audience so they usually have higher level students perform. The average person can't envision themselves doing what the demonstrators are doing. The other option would be to have brand new beginners perform, but that's not very visually appealing and only makes the instructor look crappy.

All of your ideas are a lot of physical work and very time consuming with little to know return, I know this because I've already done this. Anything cliche you can think of that a beginning business owner or martial arts school owner would, could or should do I've already done and found didn't work. As Thomas Edison said, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

Now I surround myself with other successful and honorable people who educate and inspire me in business to create a service that satisfies the client but also rewards me for my efforts.

As far as marketing outside of your school aside from great classes, great facility and word of mouth, get a website. A domain name with a single page site is $12 through GoDaddy. Add hosting and 10 more pages for another $7 per month. When building the site answer the five W's and one H. Who, what, where, when, why and how. Then put your website on ever piece of market material you have.

If you need ideas on how to format your site check out this other sites at http://martialarts.toplisted.net/

just curious, out of you who instruct and make some form of income off of those sales, do you employ merchant services through your bank and accept debit cards or credit cards as a form of payment? if so do you feel this helps in collecting dues? if not do you feel your sales/collection would improve if you were able to perform electronic transactions?

there is also the personally available version to process cards via your phone withsquare
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Hi Shaolin,

Those quotes are nice. They will not pay your bills.

Basic marketing education? I have done college, business courses that include marketing and advertising. And I did well in those courses because I paid for them.

It is important to get your name out there. Unfortunately, many do not even bother to try.

A few years ago, there was a candy store on Edgecombe Ave in Harlem. It closed in less than a year because hardly anyone knew it was there and the owner had the expectation that people should just come to her, creating was an impasse that she did bother to bridge.

I agree with your use of internet technology and with creating supports for yourself. It works wonders for those who can get to that level.

ginosifu, if you want to box yourself out with a degree, it is your right to do so. I would simply consult with the professionals in the field about developing a program.

Effective salesmanship is about getting people to say YES. If not for themselves, then for those they care for. A positive impression is a YES in the making.

mickey
    Mickey:

I do not box myself in. I do teach children with ADD / ADHD. I have been doing this for many years. As an instructor, if you do not posses the tools, skill or the know how to deal with these kind of children, then you are just blowing smoke out your as$.

Some of these kids are chemically "OFF", which means they will do things involuntarily without the ability to stop. Some of these kids "Can Not" learn in a class room environment because they disrupt the group too much. Some of these kids need a loving / caring smile, while others need a sturn hand. Some of these kids just act like they are ADD or ADHD but are just bad kids and are screwing with you.

If a MA teacher thinks they can just shove these kids in class with out any skill in how to handle them, he is fooling himself.

Effective Salemanship: Yes money is good but, I can sign most people that I come into contact with. That does not mean it is a good sale. You also can waste a lot of your time and money with ineffective demos and marketing. If I do a demo at a golf / country club and none of the members join my school... it was a waste of my time / money and effort.

I target all my marketing efforts towards people that are interested in joining a MA school. Just doing a demo at a place that does not have anyone interested in MA school is a gamble and probably in affective. You can not do mass marketing / demos and hope somebody calls you. You need a "Target", "Marketing Plan" and the a "Well Executed Plan".

@ Gene - Private lesson are good but in my neighborhood usually families can not afford private lesson. Every time I mention it, people either refuse to join (because of finances) or outright walk away and do not join.

ginosifu

ginosifu,

Re AADD/ADHD: It is up to the person to figure out if they can excel in this area. Again, I suggest working with professionals on this. While there are many school doing this, you would still want to have a program that works.

The undercurrent to all that I suggested is about putting yourself in give mode. One thing that I have noticed about TenTigers is that he puts himself in give mode. And he knows how to position himself so as to let people know that he has something to give. You can talk about business knowhow, etc. You still need to be able to do this.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Tiger Claw handles some 24K+ accounts across America. That means we have this barometer of school success based on how much a school orders. The bottom line for all the the larger accounts: private lessons. That's where the money is.
    Any BJJ teacher can tell you that
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !